Paint graphics card

Hi everybody! 

So I got a GTX 980 in my PC (of course), and I want to paint the grey parts of the card red.

Now I was wondering what the best paint would be to do this. Spray paint of course, but would plasti-dip make sense actually? 

Because I also wanted to paint my game tag on the backplate of the card, so I guess plasti-dip wouldn't be ideal for that.

Any people that have experience with this? I'm also still thinking of a good way to make an outline on the backplate.

Cheers! 

For the plastic parts PlastiDip, for the Backplate I'd recommend a real spray paint for the material the Backplate is made of. but which GPU do you have ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

For the plastic parts PlastiDip, for the Backplate I'd recommend a real spray paint for the material the Backplate is made of. but which GPU do you have ?

I need a backplate for my EVGA 780 ACX SC

Because he had a hard drive.

Hi everybody! 

So I got a GTX 980 in my PC (of course), and I want to paint the grey parts of the card red.

Now I was wondering what the best paint would be to do this. Spray paint of course, but would plasti-dip make sense actually? 

Because I also wanted to paint my game tag on the backplate of the card, so I guess plasti-dip wouldn't be ideal for that.

Any people that have experience with this? I'm also still thinking of a good way to make an outline on the backplate.

Cheers! 

Spray paint may yield better results with cleaner lines, since plasti-dip will need cut lines to be created if you let it dry before removing the masking, it is possible to remove masking when wet but it's finish is not as nice since a heavier coat will be need to be applied in a one pass method.

Alternatively you can get some vinyl decal made and apply it to the backplate but be sure to get quality vinyl that has good adhesive since it will get fairly hot there.

Well I don't want to use Plasti-dip, it is safer in the end but will give a less cleaner result as W-L mentioned. It's a 980 GTX reference as mentioned.

Spray paint may yield better results with cleaner lines, since plasti-dip will need cut lines to be created if you let it dry before removing the masking, it is possible to remove masking when wet but it's finish is not as nice since a heavier coat will be need to be applied in a one pass method.

Alternatively you can get some vinyl decal made and apply it to the backplate but be sure to get quality vinyl that has good adhesive since it will get fairly hot there.

That's what I thought, any spray paint you would recommend, same for the vinyl decal? 

Well I don't want to use Plasti-dip, it is safer in the end but will give a less cleaner result as W-L mentioned. It's a 980 GTX reference as mentioned.

That's what I thought, any spray paint you would recommend, same for the vinyl decal? 

Then you have to sand your parts and use spray paint, really practise before spraying the first time also practise with the clear coat

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Then you have to sand your parts and use spray paint, really practise before spraying the first time also practise with the clear coat

You mean the clear base layer coat? Any brand of spray paint any of you would recommend?

You mean the clear base layer coat? Any brand of spray paint any of you would recommend?

No the last few coats should be clear coat to get the paint sealed up, no sorry, visit a RC store or something, maybe with the GFX Card, and just ask them. Most likely that the plastic is similiar to some which is used in the RC community.

Aha, that's an excellent idea! Thanks! 

As soon as I get it done, I'll post some pictures! :) 

For vinyl you can get 3M vinyl online or vinyl decals made at local sinage shops, but as for spray paint the two main ones are Rustoleum or Krylon, but if you need more specific colors or brighter colors, car paints like Dupli-color are great for that.

I plastidiped this. made it hotter in a positive pressure case. in a wind tunnel set up it was pretty aiight.. i removed the plastidip after a while cause i wanted the temps to stay as low as possible for my OC and all

10933949_10153579365421490_953595336587210929124_10153579365381490_78277492509441517415_10153579365571490_2923432055856010848528_10153579365641490_3217603748393

So I just put my graphics card back in, and I must say, I'm pretty content with the result. Some minor issues which you don't see that well, but I will fix this in the near future.

gallery_186137_2435_324561.jpg

http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/2435-graphics-mod/

EDIT: I ended up using Dupli-Color since that was the only brand I could find here in my city. I'm from Belgium and in the town I live, they don't have many specialized hops or DIY shops.