AMD or Nvidia? What to choose?

Wazzup guys,

I'm going to upgrade my GPU after in a couple of weeks. But i still don't know what to choose.

My budget is $300.

If i'm going for an Nvidia card i think i would go for the 760/

But the new AMD cards will be released this fall i think. And amd will be releasing some cool games with the new never settle bundle.

i'm terrible at making choices like this, hope you guys can help me.

~Mark

I already asked this a couple of weeks ago and the solution was a 760. But will AMD release a good alternative?

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I would go with an AMD card like a MSI Twin Frozr 3 7950 which is $20 more and you can get a great price to performance ratio by overclocking it to beat the 7970 reference card.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You should wait. You'll never know what AMD has up their sleeves. But if you'd rather not wait and would rather have the 760 you could just buy that and buy the new Never Settle bundle off ebay (when it comes out.) for $30-$50. That's what I did. I got the card I wanted and the games I wanted. I didn't have to settle for anything. :3

If you want a card right now i would go with the 7950 as mentioned above because it's performance is neck and neck with the 760 and you get all those free games so why not! Unless you want like shadowplay or some Nvidia technology that only they can deliver.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

people will say otherwise

but looking at the forcast

AMD will have better support

ive seen this before

and it will happen again

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What are you going to be doing? For purely gaming, go for AMD, but if you are doing any video editing/ rendering with CUDA, go for Nvidia. 

Gaming and editing/rendering :P

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

On that budget, AMD. Because the 760 is just a 'slightly better' 660ti and still, the differance is just not worth mentioning.

7970 = 7950 > (> 680) > 670 > 760 > 660ti > 660