R9 290 does it worth it?

christos0101

Hello guys ....

So i build my new pc but i didn't add a gpu...because i was waiting for 960 ...

But it wasn't as good as i expected it to be...

And now i am thinking...

should i buy

"VTX3D R9 290" that is on sale for 265 €

Should i spend MORE for an

"EVGA 970" for 369 €

or should i wait for 960 for about 230 € i know as i said is not a good comparison in performance  with the cards above

but i have only 1080p monitors....

and a small room (so i don't know if i can deal with a gpu that is 92 C)...

(i have a 4960K and an EVGA 750 Watt psu)

Please tell me your opinions... I would appreciate it :D\

(Sorry for the bad English.... i am trying,,,)

You should go for the GTX 970. Faster and more efficient.

"Identify the problem before applying a solution." -USAFRet

Get the 970, you will not regret it

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

what is the price of the 290X?

the 290X is almost equal to the GTX970 in terms of performance at 1080P

but at 1440P is when the 290X will shine because the 290X can use all the 4GB VRAM when the GTX970 now can only access 3.5GB

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

For the price i would go with a 290

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Personally id go with the amd solution. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

but at 1440P is when the 290X will shine because the 290X can use all the 4GB VRAM when the GTX970 now can only access 3.5GB

The Cheapest r9 290x that it would fit in my case is 370€

Everybody fanboys the 970 but the 290 here is a much better value,

yes... that what i am thinking too... but.. how about all the power consumption and the heat..and noise...

Dose it worth it? :P

Thank you for you INSTANT answers... you are amazing :DD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The Cheapest r9 290x that it would fit in my case is 370€

yes... that what i am thinking too... but.. how about all the power consumption and the heat..and noise...

Dose it worth it? :P

Thank you for you INSTANT answers... you are amazing :DD

are you able to buy from US website and ship it to you?

US have the 290X for 270 USD

Sorry guys.. I am from Greece...

I cant buy from US... :P

Amazon?

Use a 3rd party shipping company which has a US address so the item will be sent to the shipping company and the GPU will be ship to your country

290 very solid card for the price

Amazon?

Use a 3rd party shipping company which has a US address so the item will be sent to the shipping company and the GPU will be ship to your country

wouldn't this costs mash too ??

and kind of risky...

Hmmm ...   

wouldn't this costs mash too ??

and kind of risky...

Hmmm ...   

read around for the best 3rd party shipping company

also you can ask us for suggestions

290. Easy choice. No point spending a lot more on the 970 for a small performance increase which You will not notice.

290 is love, 290 is life

until the 390 arrives with it's bedazzling power consumption and surface of the sun temperatures, then it will be 390 is love, 390 is life

Greek f....g retailers  almsot 300 for a 960-.-
Xristo you should way for the prices to get lower. if you wanna go amd find out if we have any decent Sapphire here (e-shop doesn't i think) . I will w8 for any upcoming AMD answer or any 960 with more vram. Or i will sell my 660 and get a 970. 

Greek f....g retailers  almsot 300 for a 960-.-

Xristo you should way for the prices to get lower. if you wanna go amd find out if we have any decent Sapphire here (e-shop doesn't i think) . I will w8 for any upcoming AMD answer or any 960 with more vram. Or i will sell my 660 and get a 970. 

Holy crap ,  toss in another 50$ and get a 970. Gotta love this country.

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

Everybody fanboys the 970 but the 290 here is a much better value,

yeah, I can almost buy 2 or them for the price of a 970 in canada, and get better UHD or downscaling performance on a single 290.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Holy crap ,  toss in another 50$ and get a 970. Gotta love this country.

Dude  the lowest 970 start at 360 euro  in an online greek price  finder! i prefer getting from amazon.de :P

And you do not want to know about the after-sale services. 

Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X OC (11221-22-20G) 

it is on the same price range. But the question which one will get you better 60 fps stabilize in future game with all the msaa mfaa superhyperXclustermutlilanguageanti-aliasing and MMA things! 

this is so wrong it made me laugh please get your facts right and do some research before posting what you think and dont spread false info