i5-4460 Bottleneck GTX 960?

The Magical Turkey

they have had improvements in the ram, making 2GB of ram not as big a deal, and its only $200, if you see it for $250-$270 its probably an overly expensive non reference model, considering on nvidias website they say its $200, so yeah. I dont know why you think so poorly of it, doing a lot of research between it and the 980 and 970 its very very good for the $200 price tag on it. Will run almost all new games at 1080p 60+fps at high-ultra settings, great for people with a more budget build and not looking for 4k displays.

Nah dude. The R9 280 at $150 is so much better performance and value.

While 2GB of VRAM will play games, you will be playing it at a lower setting.

Do not advocate the 960. Its awful value.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Nope, JayzTwoCents did a video on bottlenecking:

not even an i3 could bottleneck a 680!

(this is the second time i referred someone to this video on this forum and I only made my account a few ours ago xD)

He tested CPU bottlenecking on a benchmark that puts the load almost entirely on the GPU... that is a terrible representation of how bottlenecking actually happens in games and failed to explain what causes it, lol.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Nah dude. The R9 280 at $150 is so much better performance and value.

While 2GB of VRAM will play games, you will be playing it at a lower setting.

Do not advocate the 960. Its awful value.

I dunno man, I can play BF4 on ultra at 4K on my 2GB GTX 760 (at 25 fps) and the game doesn't freeze or crash from running out of VRAM. I think games will just use the extra VRAM if it's there but don't require it. Maybe this depends on whether the devs spend the time to look at file sizes for textures and stuff, kinda like how Titanfall had 50GB of audio files...

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I dunno man, I can play BF4 on ultra at 4K on my 2GB GTX 760 (at 25 fps) and the game doesn't freeze or crash from running out of VRAM. I think games will just use the extra VRAM if it's there but don't require it. Maybe this depends on whether the devs spend the time to look at file sizes for textures and stuff, kinda like how Titanfall had 50GB of audio files...

Have you seen Shadow of Mordor 1080p Ultra Benchmarks?

The 960 caps off at something like 25, while the R9 280 is doing 45.  There are plenty of games that are really starting to require more VRAM.  It makes no sense to buy a 960 when an R9 280 can be had for $50 less, and performs much better in every single game.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You don't need a z97 motherboard, a simple bios update will do the trick but since he is asking about this in the first place I would also recommend to purchase a motherboard with out of the box compatibility. And I would like to hear your opinion about the 960, I've heard good things about it so far.  

I would advise that you buy an r9 280. It can be had for less than 170$ and performs similar to both the 285 and 960, while being cheaper and also having an extra gb of vram (which will be important for future titles). The 285 and 960 are probably the worst gpus in terms of price/performance atm.

Have you seen Shadow of Mordor 1080p Ultra Benchmarks?

The 960 caps off at something like 25, while the R9 280 is doing 45.  There are plenty of games that are really starting to require more VRAM.  It makes no sense to buy a 960 when an R9 280 can be had for $50 less, and performs much better in every single game.

All I can say about the current 900 range: GTX 960, WTF were Nvidia thinking?-GTX 970, why were we misslead?-GTX980, Damn that's a good graphics card.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

the 960 will bottleneck the i5-4460.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

GTX 960 is not the best offering. In 2015, a 200$+ GPU should have at least 3 GB. And at least 256bit bus. I would not give anything above 180$ for it. The games have been stuck around 1-2 GB VRAM range for a few years now, because there was no need for super high resolution textures with 1080p. Now, with 4K and 1440p becoming common, you will see a hike in VRAM usage. Even if you just play in 1080p, 2 GB will probably not be enough in a rather short time. R9 280 or R9 280X with 3 GB is probably the best choice at the moment. From what I've heard, in Australia AMD prices are way better than nVidia.

The gpu will not be bottlenecked.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE