My first FreeNAS build

Noose

Hi, this will be my first FreeNAS build and I'm wondering what you guys think of the parts I have chosen. 

MoBo:ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157419

RAM: Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0B1-00KT-00023

Case: Fractal Node 304 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352027&cm_re=fractal_node_304-_-11-352-027-_-Product

PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power L8 CM 430W http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Pure-Power-L8-CM/dp/B005JRGVAW

OS storage: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB

HDD: 2 x WD RED 4TB (already bought)

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

https://technicalramblings.com/

Yep, planning on doing RAID, ZFS. 

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

alot of RAM for a NAS

freenas recommends 1GB per 1TB of HD space. which makes it the perfect ram to HD ratio ^_^

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

freenas recommends 1GB per 1TB of HD space. which makes it the perfect ram to HD ratio ^_^

Does that include the RAM freenas OS uses? So 8gb is ok for 8tb + freenas OS?

Yeah the OS is very lightweight so the RAM size is perfect.  

as said the OS is very light weight. I would suggest you ruin it from a USB as the driver it is installed on can't be used for storage. I guess if you partitioned it you could less hassle to just USB it.

Ok thanks! Yeah, will use a USB for OS storage. Just ordered, can't wait! :D

Ok thanks! Yeah, will use a USB for OS storage. Just ordered, can't wait! :D

I would actually recommend a regular SSD. The main reason being that you will have to replace the USB drive every so often as the flash NAND wears out, because USB drives don't wear level writes across their NAND. Installing on an SSD guarantees that it will last much longer. It will also give you a slight loading time boost, which is always nice.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Ok, thanks, a future upgrade then. Can't afford an ssd right now.

I would actually recommend a regular SSD. The main reason being that you will have to replace the USB drive every so often as the flash NAND wears out, because USB drives don't wear level writes across their NAND. Installing on an SSD guarantees that it will last much longer. It will also give you a slight loading time boost, which is always nice.

true but then you are increasing the costs rather a lot a 4GB USB can hold the OS and costs a tiny amount of what a 30-60GB SSD would cost.

you could get about 10 4GB USB for the cost of an SSD and bet that would last longer in the long run.

true but then you are increasing the costs rather a lot a 4GB USB can hold the OS and costs a tiny amount of what a 30-60GB SSD would cost.

you could get about 10 4GB USB for the cost of an SSD and bet that would last longer in the long run.

It would cost more, true. It's a tradeoff between reliability/maintenance and cost.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It would cost more, true. It's a tradeoff between reliability/maintenance and cost.

TBH i would probally just get a cheap SSD in there just because i'm lazy.

Have any of you ever tried too use SSD's as write/read cache on FreeNas?

oh ok

This for sure. If you look at my freeNAS link in my sig, it has a patriot usb stick for the OS. After about a year of wear and tear, it was done. I couldn't even reload the software on it. I now have my old Intel 40gb SSD in the machine and no issues so far.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Have any of you ever tried too use SSD's as write/read cache on FreeNas?

It's not at all useful, unless you're literally using all of your RAM. Installing a secondary read cache uses up some of your memory, which is already being used as a cache, and thus you might actually lose performance.

The benefit comes in when you have so much data (think many tens of GB) that needs to be accessed quickly that, normally, it would have to pull some things from the disk because it can't fit everything into system memory. In this case, a secondary cache will help you, because while some of that data is in memory (which is faster), the rest won't be on the disk, but rather in the SSD.

TL;DR -- not useful unless you have monstrous workloads.

It's not at all useful, unless you're literally using all of your RAM. Installing a secondary read cache uses up some of your memory, which is already being used as a cache, and thus you might actually lose performance.

The benefit comes in when you have so much data (think many tens of GB) that needs to be accessed quickly that, normally, it would have to pull some things from the disk because it can't fit everything into system memory. In this case, a secondary cache will help you, because while some of that data is in memory (which is faster), the rest won't be on the disk, but rather in the SSD.

TL;DR -- not useful unless you have monstrous workloads.

Ok, thanks!

Any reason you wouldnt go RHEL and get webmin installed? its much better (i use this config)

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

So the server is built and it's dead quiet :) Read speed: 95MB/s and write 105MB/s. Im pretty happy with that :D

• 9 months later...