What Gaming Headset?

Rekx

So first i was looking at sennheisers high end gaming headsets but then i thougth to my self that do i really need such a expensive par of headphones, cause im not a audiophile, and for me a good base is enough cause i listen to music over spotify and im currently using ulimited, therefore i desided to go with a cheaper headset for around 80-90 $

This is what i have picked out.

'Low' End gaming headset:

http://gaming.logitech.com/da-dk/product/g230-stereo-gaming-headset

https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/Orion/ or https://www.asus.com/HeadphonesHeadsets_and_Speakers/Echelon/

'Medium' end gaming headsets:

https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/Vulcan_ANC/

http://gaming.logitech.com/da-dk/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I would recommend the ASUS Orion if you have a dedicated Soundcard. Otherwise get the ORION Pro or the G430.

I would suggest taking a look to this, it may catch your interest and wait till it comes out.

Hope it helped!

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

I would suggest the Steelseries 7H, I have them and they're really good.

I would recommend the ASUS Orion if you have a dedicated Soundcard. Otherwise get the ORION Pro or the G430.

I would suggest taking a look to this, it may catch your interest and wait till it comes out.

Hope it helped!

hhmmm the only steelseries headset i have ever had was steelseries saberia v2 which broke on me 5 times (no kidding) it was in for RMA 5 times and everytime it took 2-3 month for the headset to brake, so dont know about going steelseries again ;) but ill have to try the 5h3v first before going steelseries again.

So asus orion is what you recommend, why may i ask?

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

hhmmm the only steelseries headset i have ever had was steelseries saberia v2 which broke on me 5 times (no kidding) it was in for RMA 5 times and everytime it took 2-3 month for the headset to brake, so dont know about going steelseries again ;) but ill have to try the 5h3v first before going steelseries again.

So asus orion is what you recommend, why may i ask?

50mm Drivers means good sound stage+from what I have heard the cushions are very comfortable and the ear cups are quite big so it will 100% enclose your ears without touching them. Also the open-design makes it perfect for music listening and gaming at the same time.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Lots of people rave about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, and with an AntLion ModMic attached VIOLA you have a headset! You can bind the cables of the mic and the headphones together with heat shrink tubing - a half inch would probably work - if you want to keep the cables neat & together. If you purchase headphones and microphones separately, you wont be compromising on quality in either just to meet a "price point" for a "gaming" peripheral; picking a pair of headphones+separate mic that add up to the same price as a headset you're looking at is usually better.  ;)

50mm Drivers means good sound stage+from what I have heard the cushions are very comfortable and the ear cups are quite big so it will 100% enclose your ears without touching them. Also the open-design makes it perfect for music listening and gaming at the same time.

Yeah the 50mm drivers was also a big reason why i am considering going with them, but what about frequency response will there be a deffient between 10 ~ 20000 and 20 ~ 20000

Lots of people rave about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, and with an AntLion ModMic attached VIOLA you have a headset! You can bind the cables of the mic and the headphones together with heat shrink tubing - a half inch would probably work - if you want to keep the cables neat & together. If you purchase headphones and microphones separately, you wont be compromising on quality in either just to meet a "price point" for a "gaming" peripheral; picking a pair of headphones+separate mic that add up to the same price as a headset you're looking at is usually better.  ;)

yeah but will the modmic keep being attached even after 1 year of use? cause for me its really hard to believe that it wont fall off or be anoying as fuq :P , also the Audio technica is open air which i dont want. 

Remember audiophile headphones cant be used proberly when im using spotify ulimited, cause of the 'low' quality audio 

yeah but will the modmic keep being attached even after 1 year of use? cause for me its really hard to believe that it wont fall off or be anoying as fuq :P , also the Audio technica is open air which i dont want. 

The mod mic attaches magnetically to a base which in turn attaches via a 3M sticky pad. If the base falls off you can buy some sticky pads or glue, or you can buy extra bases from AntLion.

I've personal experience with V-Moda Crossfade LP1 if you're also interested in portability, durability, and/or customization. My friend loves his Sony MDR7506 headphones if you're looking for a lower price point.

Remember audiophile headphones cant be used proberly when im using spotify ulimited, cause of the 'low' quality audio 

That is ridiculous - please educate yourself before making such assertions. The difference in frequency response between headphones is much higher than the differences between compressed and non-compressed file types (ie: good headphones will sound better than bad headphones irregardless of the file type you play) 

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s (MSRP $500) at home where I mainly listen to Spotify and YouTube playlists.  ;)

Yeah i maybe need to educate myself in this areaer, cause am no audio nerd ;)

Those you sent was a bit more exspensive then i would like, what about this headset ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Dynamic-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372148654&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica

But right now im still leaning over at the asus orion but maybe i will change my mind about that.

and "gaming" headsets have such a good pristine record of not breaking. 

you can fix your audio formats and sources easily with a click of a mouse button, you can't fix the audio coming from your gaming headphones. 

I hate to admit I do use spotify for music discovery and general listening too much. I also hate to admit that I've been using my corsair vengeance 2000 gaming headset for too much of my listening experience as well but to sit down with a proper headphone and open up a flac file, close my eyes and leave this world reminds me why I made this investment in audio.

if you do decide to not go with the headphone route just go with the cheapest headset out there and don't get distracted by the marketing hype from the gaming headset people. 

Yeah the 50mm drivers was also a big reason why i am considering going with them, but what about frequency response will there be a deffient between 10 ~ 20000 and 20 ~ 20000

The human ear can listen from 16hz-20Khz. Headphones go beyond and below those limits so they can easily achieve the lower and higher frequencies. For example a headphone with 5hz-30khz range is able to achieve 30hz and 19Khz more easily than a headphone with 20-20Khz range. But if you are an audiophile you won;t be able to see the difference, its minor.

The human ear can listen from 16hz-20Khz. Headphones go beyond and below those limits so they can easily achieve the lower and higher frequencies. For example a headphone with 5hz-30khz range is able to achieve 30hz and 19Khz more easily than a headphone with 20-20Khz range. But if you are an audiophile you won;t be able to see the difference, its minor.

It's worth noting that even below the lowest frequency humans can hear, you can still "feel" the sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Bkrypxzs4

Any headphones from a good brand you get will beat a headset in the same price range (at least for now), but I don't know anything for certain about the ATH-M30. Audio Technica seems to be known to have the best sounding lower priced headphones, so they should be good.

In another thread, Aphexx just said he really likes his ATH-WS55 headphones.  ^_^

Any headphones from a good brand you get will beat a headset in the same price range (at least for now), but I don't know anything for certain about the ATH-M30. Audio Technica seems to be known to have the best sounding lower priced headphones, so they should be good.

In another thread, Aphexx just said he really likes his ATH-WS55 headphones.  ^_^

I dunno, I've got my reservations against the m30 but not having first hand experience I'll refrain from commenting except saying /meh. there is some guy that posts on these forums who has them and has a boner for them. then again I had a raging hardon for my first 'good' headphone the corsair vengeance 2000

the ath-ws55 does everything I like about the ath-m50 with maybe a bit more soundstage and a whole heck of a lot more punchy bass and airy and a bit brighter... maybe a bit brighter. frankly I didn't expect that cheapass ws55 to eclipse my m50 this much. 

why am I not stomping my feet and recommending them like I used to for the M50? 

its because its a cheapass headphone, I found it new for a crazy deal and I liked the looks of the red version. 

the ws55 is the bottom end of the ws series from audio technica and it is a cheap spring steel band connected to 2 plastic cups with an aluminum driver chamber/enclosure. it is on ear which may be uncomfortable for some users (I've done a couple hour sessions and had no problems)  it is light portable but seems fragile and I don't think it would stand up to the abuse of a daily main headphone. I'd only recommend it to people for their secondary or more headphone.

I will highly recommend their elder brothers the ws77 and ws99 both around ear headphones also with larger drivers than the ws55. I really am right now considering selling off a bunch of my headphones to get the 77 or the 99 

I had this song come through my youtube feed yesterday and it fits the ws soundsignature perfectly. fast punchy bass big airy sound with a lot of highs. the bass doesn't muddy up the song at all. whereas my dt770 totally shits the bed with this song and gets all muddy and wrong

I recommend you forget the idea of a gaming headset and instead get some proper headphones and a clip-on mic instead. It will sound better and be higher quality. As someone else mentioned above, the Audio Technica AD700 are very good for gaming (wide soundstage and pretty good and detailed sound as well).

I'd say if you had the money get astro a50/a40.

I had a50's before my Phoebus+ Audio technica ath-ad900x,  and honestly the sound quality for em was very good for a "gaming" headset. The bass was great, treble was good, and the 5.1/7.1 surround was actually pretty great for xbox 360/ pc games.

Obviously the phoebus+900x's are a lot better, but for ~250ish $ the a40/a50's are great. they're also very light+comfortable

Also: http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thread/134056/HeadphonesSound-Cards:-The-dos-and-do-nots/

Friend linked me that awhile back, guy makes a lot of good points.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

What about these i have head alot of good thing about Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma  which even some audiophiles like :) dont know if they are god but i saw a audiophile make a positive review i think he gave it 4/6 or something like that. Also he talk about the plantronics gamecom 367/377 do you know if there new series are good to? 

Also the a40 (with no mixamp) is something i have looked into but the problem is that some audiophiles like them and some hate them and call them shitty headphones, the same with the mic on the a40. I have maybe not been clear about everthing cause the thing i want most is a really good mic on my headset (not a desk mic) 

Hhmm for what i can see there are really no good looking closed headphones out there, cause for me i really dont want the noise to get in the headset or get out. If someone could link to a good looking closed headphones, Then i would be more up to the idea of a mod mic and a good par of headphones. Also some good bass is great when i listen to techno ;)

I've just recieved the G430, so I'll leave you feedback when I get to play with them...

Besides them I highly recommend Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headset, it's incredibly good for it's price, I paid like 50 euros for them and they are really really good, A+ for the price/performance radio.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

People really still use headsets? The sound quality on headphones is superior. And I love the gimmicky marketing towards gamers when it comes to headsets. 

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Well, since most of us guys have english as their secondary, or as in my case third language, you can pardon my mixup of headphones and headsets :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

so nobody has any good looking closed headpones to recommend? 

I've already recommended two, go buy one of them now. :)