would it be hard to start with an HDD and upgrade with an SSD?

so I was originally planning on buying an MX100 to start with my new PC, which would mean it will store the OS and whatever other programs I'll be having (like video editors).

but I just found out (very lately) about the news of the new MX200 and thought that if I wait until it releases then maybe I can get the MX100 for even cheaper.

if that's the case then I'll just buy a Seagate Barracuda first and configure everything to it, and by the time the MX100 gets cheaper I'll buy one and transfer everything I need to transfer there. I just wanna know if this is a difficult thing to do, and also if you guys think the MX100 will drop its prices at least by July?

well if you had a partition in the seagate and had windwos seperate then you could use a software that can "ghost it" onto a new drive, but if all files and o/s are on the same partition then it would be difficult to seperate them, if not impossable..

if you intend to get a normal hard drive and want an ssd later, why not look at getting the seagate SSHD (hybrid) as its not much more cost and will boost boot up times for windows and still remain the same performance of a normal HDD.

got to love Asus components

well if you had a partition in the seagate and had windwos seperate then you could use a software that can "ghost it" onto a new drive, but if all files and o/s are on the same partition then it would be difficult to seperate them, if not impossable..

if you intend to get a normal hard drive and want an ssd later, why not look at getting the seagate SSHD (hybrid) as its not much more cost and will boost boot up times for windows and still remain the same performance of a normal HDD.

oh so you're saying that it's really a hassle to do it that way? I'll probably buy the SSD first then, since I'm getting the 512gb version, I think it'll hold up long enough till I get an HDD for storage of other stuff

oh so you're saying that it's really a hassle to do it that way? I'll probably buy the SSD first then, since I'm getting the 512gb version, I think it'll hold up long enough till I get an HDD for storage of other stuff

ok, well a 512gb SSD will be big enough for windows and games / files / programmes.

they you can always just have an external hard drive to store extra files and backups etc.

only down side to SSD is the cost and you have to be carefull if you want to make it last a long time they are good and fast for reading data, and pretty fast writing data, however if it is doing a lot of reading and writing and moving files then you can ware an SSD out faster than a normal type hard drive.

hence there really good and fast to store more perm read files like windows files and can also be used for games to if you have a steam account and leave them installed then should be no problem.

got to love Asus components

so I was originally planning on buying an MX100 to start with my new PC, which would mean it will store the OS and whatever other programs I'll be having (like video editors).

but I just found out (very lately) about the news of the new MX200 and thought that if I wait until it releases then maybe I can get the MX100 for even cheaper.

if that's the case then I'll just buy a Seagate Barracuda first and configure everything to it, and by the time the MX100 gets cheaper I'll buy one and transfer everything I need to transfer there. I just wanna know if this is a difficult thing to do, and also if you guys think the MX100 will drop its prices at least by July?

Hey callmecars,

You should be fine with starting with a HDD and then adding a SSD. :)

As @asusfan pointed out, you would be better off keeping your OS and some of the important programs on a separate partition so you can transfer them easier later on. I always advise people to do a fresh install of their OS on a new drive because cloning might cause some problems, data corruption and errors. Besides, with a fresh install you might avoid transferring unused programs and unwanted files or malware. :) It is always advised to have as big or bigger drive as your old one when doing drive cloning in order to avoid any missed data during the process. 

i would advise you to create a full backup of all your important files and data before transferring to the new drive. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/