Buying A UPS

alicskysareblue
Go to solution Solved by Paul9631,

Hey  so I know this is a boring topic but it is very important I finally got my parts, Not wanting to potentially fry my computer i am buying a ups (I have a surge protector right now)  my estimated watt usage is around 320-450,  any advice on what I should get, I plan on using it only to allow me to safely shut down my computer 

I am running a 1300VA 780 watt APC UPS.

When picking a UPS, first carefully evaluate what you want it to do before you pick one.  For example, do you only want to have 5 to 10 minutes of power during which you can quickly exit everything and shut it down, or do you need a continuous workflow during power outages that might last for an hour or more?  Most people need something in-between those two extremes, but that's a decision that you need to make for yourself.

Next, be sure to evaluate EVERYTHING you will plug in to your UPS, and plan for expansion.  Think carefully about this one, as you don't want to forget to factor in the power of your 80 watt multi-monitor setup or something.  For a dedicated PC UPS, this shouldn't be too complicated, and it seems that you already handled this step.

After you have a ballpark idea of what to look for, start isolating particular features that you need.  Because you are worried about frying your computer, you might want to narrow your search to UPS units that have AVR or Automatic Voltage Regulation technology.  This means that if the input voltage is too low, or too high, or if the signal is just really dirty, the UPS will switch to backup power, even though it's still receiving current from the wall.  Other things to look for are features like software packages that allow your UPS to communicate with your PC.  If, for example, you leave your computer on all night, it might be worth it to make sure you have something like APC's "PowerChute" software that can safely shut down your computer for you if you aren't there when the power goes out.

Finally, I would recommend making sure to go with a quality brand over anything.  A bad UPS can cause more harm than good, so make sure it's coming from a quality company.  APC is typically considered the gold standard, but they are the only company I have dealt with, so I am not the best resource on this front.  I have heard good things about other companies, but I don't want to give any recommendations, because, as I said, I don't have any experience with anyone but APC.

Good luck!  A quality UPS can last for years, so don't skimp out to save a few bucks now.  Over-spec a little bit, and you'll be better off down the road.  Plus, if you only put a few hundred watts on a UPS that is designed for much more, that just means that you can run even longer on the battery!

I would look at something like the "Back-UPS Pro 1000" ($130 on Amazon) from APC, but it all depends on what you need.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1000G

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W

Again, good luck!

Hey  so I know this is a boring topic but it is very important I finally got my parts, Not wanting to potentially fry my computer i am buying a ups (I have a surge protector right now)  my estimated watt usage is around 320-450,  any advice on what I should get, I plan on using it only to allow me to safely shut down my computer 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

what's a ups. (sorry if this is a stupid question)

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

what's a ups. (sorry if this is a stupid question)

I Google'd it never mind

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

I am running a 1300VA 780 watt APC UPS.

When picking a UPS, first carefully evaluate what you want it to do before you pick one.  For example, do you only want to have 5 to 10 minutes of power during which you can quickly exit everything and shut it down, or do you need a continuous workflow during power outages that might last for an hour or more?  Most people need something in-between those two extremes, but that's a decision that you need to make for yourself.

Next, be sure to evaluate EVERYTHING you will plug in to your UPS, and plan for expansion.  Think carefully about this one, as you don't want to forget to factor in the power of your 80 watt multi-monitor setup or something.  For a dedicated PC UPS, this shouldn't be too complicated, and it seems that you already handled this step.

After you have a ballpark idea of what to look for, start isolating particular features that you need.  Because you are worried about frying your computer, you might want to narrow your search to UPS units that have AVR or Automatic Voltage Regulation technology.  This means that if the input voltage is too low, or too high, or if the signal is just really dirty, the UPS will switch to backup power, even though it's still receiving current from the wall.  Other things to look for are features like software packages that allow your UPS to communicate with your PC.  If, for example, you leave your computer on all night, it might be worth it to make sure you have something like APC's "PowerChute" software that can safely shut down your computer for you if you aren't there when the power goes out.

Finally, I would recommend making sure to go with a quality brand over anything.  A bad UPS can cause more harm than good, so make sure it's coming from a quality company.  APC is typically considered the gold standard, but they are the only company I have dealt with, so I am not the best resource on this front.  I have heard good things about other companies, but I don't want to give any recommendations, because, as I said, I don't have any experience with anyone but APC.

Good luck!  A quality UPS can last for years, so don't skimp out to save a few bucks now.  Over-spec a little bit, and you'll be better off down the road.  Plus, if you only put a few hundred watts on a UPS that is designed for much more, that just means that you can run even longer on the battery!

I would look at something like the "Back-UPS Pro 1000" ($130 on Amazon) from APC, but it all depends on what you need.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1000G

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W

Again, good luck!

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Pro | RAM: 4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840

GPU: Gigabyte 7950 | CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 | Case: CM Storm Trooper | PSU: Corsair HX 750

Thanks for the help,  I am not going to have the money to buy a ups at this moment because most of it has gone to the parts, but  I DEFINITELY will buy  one as soon  as I can.

but yes AVR sound very good and I only want one that will allow me to turn off my computer safely so yeah like 10 minutes would work. 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I am too interested in a UPS is their any UPS's in particular to look into besides the one that was recommended above?

I am too interested in a UPS is their any UPS's in particular to look into besides the one that was recommended above?

Again, it depends on what you want.  I recommended that product based on the specific case outlined by elderago.  As I said above, I would recommend APC products first, but there are tons of products to choose from, even if you restrict your search to only APC products.

Thanks for the help,  I am not going to have the money to buy a ups at this moment because most of it has gone to the parts, but  I DEFINITELY will buy  one as soon  as I can.

but yes AVR sound very good and I only want one that will allow me to turn off my computer safely so yeah like 10 minutes would work. 

If it answered your question, please mark the thread as solved.  

I'm glad I could help!

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Pro | RAM: 4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840

GPU: Gigabyte 7950 | CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 | Case: CM Storm Trooper | PSU: Corsair HX 750