3 4k monitors on single 980

forscience158

I have a tipple monitor setup with 3 dell 4k monitors and the middle monitor will always go black when I enable surround and all windows will go to that monitor. I have tried replacing the monitor and it still doesnt work. I got it to work for a while by changing  them to 1440p but now that doesnt even work 

I dont think the 980 can handle 3 4k displays. The titan z can only run them at 10 fps

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I dont think the 980 can handle 3 4k displays. The titan z can only run them at 10 fps

then why wont it work at 1440

What are you using to plug into your monitors? DVI, Displayport, VGA (may Gaben help us all if you're using VGA), etc.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

What display cables are you using for this? Try all displayport connections.

Dude...

What are you using to plug into your monitors? DVI, Displayport, VGA (may Gaben help us all if you're using VGA), etc.

Display port 

What display cables are you using for this? Try all displayport connections.

Dude...

It is and yeah man I had the same reaction 

I think your 980 may explode, in all seriousness. Why would you ever try to game on 3 4k monitors? It's tough for just one.

It wasnt my idea hahaha its my friend 

he calls me his tech advisor and im trying to help 

Fair enough, if there was anything that could run 3 4k monitors then the experience  would be awesome.

Also, in surround setup have you configured your monitors so  that it is 3:1? 

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TBNRunity/saved/#savedbuild_1797964

Fair enough, if there was anything that could run 3 4k monitors then the experience  would be awesome.

yes 

What card could run 3 4k by the way this is just meant to run I racing which is very easy to run

What card could run 3 4k by the way this is just meant to run I racing which is very easy to run

There is currently no card that can run 3 4k monitors. But when there is :P

[-] i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz [-] Asus Maximus VII Formula [-] EVGA Gtx 980 Sc [-] Corsair H105 [-] Corsair Obsidian 750d [-]

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TBNRunity/saved/#savedbuild_1797964

There is currently no card that can run 3 4k monitors. But when there is :P

But why wont it work when I turn it to 1440

For comfortable mid to high 4k gaming, you usually find people with 980s on sli... So for multiple monitors with that card, I'd imagine having to go a full 4 in sli; however three 4k tv's just sound overreaching. You will have to go beyond normal consumer value to run them.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I have a tipple monitor setup with 3 dell 4k monitors and the middle monitor will always go black when I enable surround and all windows will go to that monitor. I have tried replacing the monitor and it still doesnt work. I got it to work for a while by changing  them to 1440p but now that doesnt even work 

Obviously this won't work when it comes time for gaming, but unlike what you've heard here, there's absolutely no reason why this can't work in desktop mode. 

We in the NCIX office tried this very setup with a few different cards and it should work just fine.

Try first of all plugging the monitors one by one in (and make sure you use displayport - it's the only thing that will reliably drive it) - if you've got a reference PCB that's the ideal situation. 

After that's done, and you've verified that they all work by themselves, ramp it up to 2 at a time, then all 3. 

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

I think thats per port, as you can have multi screen setup running from the same card.

Or can you increase it by adding more gpu's to the system?

Not sure if a slave card gets video output with SLI. iGPU shoild work.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti