I can't seem to watch YouTube in 4K?

Logun

Hello;

I scored a good deal on an LG 55UB9500 4K TV and am pretty stoked to be putting it though its paces. However I ran into a problem with Netflix and Youtube, as neither of them will stream in 4K.

I found the issue with Netflix is that it will only stream in 4K to the smart apps native to the TV. Here's an article by former EIC of MaximumPC Gorden Ma Ung TL;DR

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2858474/why-you-cant-get-4k-netflix-and-amazon-on-a-pc-or-mac-even-though-theyre-capable.html

So is Youtube the same issue? I can use the TV's native app and get 4K content, but not if I'm streaming it from my PC

Yes my PC can handle it and yes my internet can handle it (R9 290, and 50MB net)

Games can be played in 4K so we're good there.

Why can't I Youtube in 4K? 

Youtube doesn't really translate well to an app due to the realtively short duration of each clip and the number you plow through in 30 mins jumping around and such.

Thanks for any insight!

Most YouTube content is recorded in 720p. It is very uncommon that somebody has the ability to record 4k video. I think Linus does, but I do not have any 4k displays.. So I wouldn't know.

The problem is not a about of videos simply have the ability to be watched in 4k. For the ones that do, simply change it with the settings icon.

If that still doesn't work, is you system powerful enough to display videos at 4k? (Which isn't that hard.)

EDIT: Just read that you can game in 4k so disregard last.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

Yah LTT is great stuff to test with because he does do 4K and I can see it in 4K if I use the native app on the TV. Just YouTube on Chrome doesn't want to seem to play nice.

I haven't tried other browsers yet though - thought I would check and see if anyone else had this issue

Just a bump to see if other people with 4K displays just plug and play Youtube videos from Chrome without issue in 4K?