Fan modding to blow out sideways?

wllmhton
Go to solution Solved by Arkimedes,

My old hp dv7 had issues with getting hot. I sent it to a repair place and they supposedly took it apart and cleaned it. A few months later the motherboard fried so I took it all the way apart and found a huge build up of dust on the CPU cooler. So it might save you some money to look at it yourself if you are willing to take the risk of opening it all the way.

Hi there,

Recently I've been having problems with my laptop getting really hot during moderate/heavy usage (gaming and heavy CAD work). One of the ideas that occurred to me was to replace the original laptop fan with a small aftermarket fan with perforations in the side to allow exhaust and possibly add an extra heat pipe or two for the CPU and/or GPU.

Has anyone tried this kind of thing before and if so with what result?

The machine in question is a MSI CX-61 w/ i7 4702MQ, 12 GB DDR3 memory, gt740M and a 1 TB HDD.

Thanks.

Have you tried cleaning out any dust build up? That may be the culprit here.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

You can't just "add" heatpipes unless you replace the entire stock heatpipe assembly. They need to be in perfect contact and need to fit in the case.

Have you tried cleaning out any dust build up? That may be the culprit here.

Had a look inside and didn't see any significant dust build up, but will certainly grab an air duster and give it a clean. However the laptop has internal temps around 50C idle/light load spiking to like 95C at peak load w/ slight OC, however reaching high 80s on stock speeds.

You can't just "add" heatpipes unless you replace the entire stock heatpipe assembly. They need to be in perfect contact and need to fit in the case.

well there appears to be sufficient space and replacing the whole assembly would be an option but certainly something to bear in mind.

My old hp dv7 had issues with getting hot. I sent it to a repair place and they supposedly took it apart and cleaned it. A few months later the motherboard fried so I took it all the way apart and found a huge build up of dust on the CPU cooler. So it might save you some money to look at it yourself if you are willing to take the risk of opening it all the way.

Current build in progress http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8FPcf

Thanks guys, the obvious culprit seems to have been the biggest and when I opened up the laptop and gave the fan and board a few blasts of air dust started to come out. Also bought a cooler stand which seems to be helping as well. Load temps are now peaking in the mid 80s under a heavy load with an increased core multiplier and OC'd GPU so I'm happy with that. If it happens again I'll be sure to check the thermal paste too.

Cheers.