i7 4790k running way too hot (100°C), default mobo settings

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a new gaming pc from Dino PC (Pre-built). I have not changed the motherboard settings and have noticed that when exporting a large video out of movie maker that the temperatures of all cores were running at over 90°C. They even reached 100°c which flagged up on RealTempGT. I'm not sure what to do and am considering emailing Dino PC encase there is an issue with the chip.

Specs: i7 4790k (fresh- no oc)

16gb 2400 Mhz corsair vengeance pro

4gb GTX 970 Palit (1205 mhz)

Corsair 650w vs

Zalman z11 Plus (Came with 5 inbuilt fans - 1x120mm front, 1 x 120mm top, 1x 120mm rear, 2x 80 mm side,

I have no additional cooling - all stock heat sinks and default case fans

If you think the problem may be fan mounts and so on, I will send the PC back as I do not want to void the warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if you need any extra info, let me know.

Rupert 

The CPU cooler is most likely mounted incorrectly

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Hmm maybe. Are those temperatures higher than they should be?

The CPU cooler is most likely mounted incorrectly

And because it's stock...

@piltonbear Please get a better CPU cooler. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would suffice.

Yes, they are.

Sig under construction.

Way too high. Even with a bad cooler, those temperatures are crazy high

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Surely the i7 shouldn't run that high on default settings though. I think task manager said the load was about 90%.

Thanks for the help by the way

way higher.

I'd say send it back. If they don't give you free two-way shipping then threaten to give a bad review.

Woo!

Yeah. Oh i forgot to mention the motherboard is a z97 gigabyte gaming 3

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a new gaming pc from Dino PC (Pre-built). I have not changed the motherboard settings and have noticed that when exporting a large video out of movie maker that the temperatures of all cores were running at over 90°C. They even reached 100°c which flagged up on RealTempGT. I'm not sure what to do and am considering emailing Dino PC encase there is an issue with the chip.

Specs: i7 4790k (fresh- no oc)

16gb 2400 Mhz corsair vengeance pro

4gb GTX 970 Palit (1205 mhz)

Corsair 650w vs

Zalman z11 Plus (Came with 5 inbuilt fans - 1x120mm front, 1 x 120mm top, 1x 120mm rear, 2x 80 mm side,

I have no additional cooling - all stock heat sinks and default case fans

If you think the problem may be fan mounts and so on, I will send the PC back as I do not want to void the warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if you need any extra info, let me know.

Rupert 

Had exactly the same issue with mine. Was getting 90+ temps when rendering in After Effects. I bought the Hyper 212 evo as a replacement and now my temps don't go above 65C.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I know a lot of people suggest water cooling but I thought 5 system fans on default settings would be enough. I think there is definitely something wrong with the chip

when do your temps hit 100c

while gaming? while stress testing? what stress test are you using?

is xmp enabled?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

100C is very near melting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Had exactly the same issue with mine. Was getting 90+ temps when rendering in After Effects. I bought the Hyper 212 evo as a replacement and now my temps don't go above 65C.

Thanks, you would think dino pc would notify me that the system I customized didn't have sufficient cooling

I know a lot of people suggest water cooling but I thought 5 system fans on default settings would be enough. I think there is definitely something wrong with the chip

It is enough. Check the CPU cooler mount.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. The stock cooler is really the problem, with the ridiculous size of the heatsink.

is xmp enabled?

Hello everyone,

Sig under construction.

is xmp enabled?

They were hitting 100c when saving out a video from movie maker (1080p and all that), task mngr said the cpu was under 90% load. I think xmp is enabled - I have 2400mhz ram

No. The stock cooler is really the problem, with the ridiculous size of the heatsink.

I will consider this but need to double check as if there is a problem - i would rather send it back than go changing out heatsinks

They were hitting 100c when saving out a video from movie maker (1080p and all that), task mngr said the cpu was under 90% load. I think xmp is enabled - I have 2400mhz ram

disable xmp

it will turbo all cores to 4.4ghz at 1.2-1.3V . That is your problem

just manually input your memory frequency timings and voltage

enable xmp when you get a better cooler.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

to much voltage most likely gigabyte bios's are garbage 

set everything to manual 

disable xmp

I thought xmp was RAM?

disable xmp

I thought xmp was RAM?

So if I disable XMP what frequency will my RAM be running at?

I thought xmp was RAM?

it is for the most part.

xmp messes with core frequency as well on skt 1150.

xmp is OVERCLOCKING

if your using xmp your not at stock\default your overclocking.

try what i suggested

disable xmp and manually enter memory values

run a few passes of cinebench and observe your core temps with xmp disabled

Thanks, you would think dino pc would notify me that the system I customized didn't have sufficient cooling

I'm pretty sure the stock cooler should be able to do the job, I just decided to replace mine as lower temps will benefit the longevity of the chip. But yeah both of your stock coolers could have been mounted poorly/incorrectly and/or could be a thermal paste issue, I'm not entirely sure.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

it is for the most part.

xmp messes with core frequency as well on skt 1150.

xmp is OVERCLOCKING

if your using xmp your not at stock\default your overclocking.

try what i suggested

disable xmp and manually enter memory values

run a few passes of cinebench and observe your core temps with xmp disabled

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try but if you do disable it-what frequency does the RAM now become?