Looking to build a top-spec gaming/editing rig - need some advice!

Brackers10

Hey guys!

So, I figured I could use some help from the more experienced folk in the community.

I'm looking to build a PC that's basically good for anything I throw at it. It'd be used for rendering, gaming at (hopefully) the best resolutions I can get (ref games, BF4, Far Cry, Skyrim), recording, content creation, and all the other fun stuff I like to do.

I have quite a bit of cash to spend on this build, can spend around 6000-7000$ maximum.

Here's my current part list, I haven't included monitors yet as I'm still trying to establish which is best for what I'm after, would prefer a triple setup to a single, 30 inch plus monitor.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dKLwpg

CPU: Chosen because it's the best on the market, will certainly be able to handle everything I plan on using, and hopefully I should be able to achieve a 4+ghz overclock with stable temps from the cooler.

GPUs: Can't decide whether to go with two classifieds, or pay more and get the new Hydro Copper's from EVGA, would be able to OC those ones more.

Storage: 512GB SSD is blazin' fast, add that to the 1TB which would be used as a media dump and that's covered.

But yeah, sorry for the short post.

I'd love some advice; what would you guys advise me to get monitor wise, bearing in mind I'm looking at gaming at high-res, and being able to work on content with accurate colour representation and what not?

Also, I'm trying to go for an aesthetic build, I want it to look awesome.

Looking forward to getting some help!

Looks good! 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

UGH EUROS ;-;

Do you need EATX?  I dont think the case you selected can fit a EATX.

I'll look into that. 900D looks good I suppose, ITS JUST SO DAMN BIG.

Get a ASUS ROG Swift 4k Monitor and a NXZT LED Controller.

ROG Swift 4k? Talking about this one? http://www.asus.com/Monitors/PB279Q/

EDIT: Would the 4k monitor with 5ms be worth it (gaming wise) over the 1440p ROG Swift, as linked? http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/ (which has 1ms response times)

EDIT: Would the 4k monitor with 5ms be worth it (gaming wise) over the 1440p ROG Swift, as linked? http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/ (which has 1ms response times)

Nvm about the eatx thing, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-atx-case

get an lg ultrawide 29" its fantastic for content creation and the ui wont be too far across the screen and if the game doesnt support it well you can use it like a 24" 16:9 ips monitor as well but if you want the extra size go for the 34" (which wouldnt be as good for gaming but it would be better for content creation)

here you go bud ... i recommend 1 wide screen ips as apposed to the rog swift which is a TN panel. i honestly think youll be fine with 1 980 but hey your budget has plenty of room. also if your talkin content you want more than 1 tb of storage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (£809.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£110.39 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£113.49 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£198.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£398.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£139.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£69.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£444.94 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£444.94 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  (£118.79 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£95.44 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: LG 34UM95 60Hz 34.0" Monitor  (£867.36 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £3811.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-18 00:21 GMT+0000

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

here you go bud ... i recommend 1 wide screen ips as apposed to the rog swift which is a TN panel. i honestly think youll be fine with 1 980 but hey your budget has plenty of room. also if your talkin content you want more than 1 tb of storage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (£809.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£110.39 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£113.49 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£198.60 @ Scan.co.uk)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£398.78 @ Scan.co.uk)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£139.50 @ Scan.co.uk)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£69.98 @ Aria PC)

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  (£118.79 @ Aria PC)

Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£95.44 @ Amazon UK)

Monitor: LG 34UM95 60Hz 34.0" Monitor  (£867.36 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £3811.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-18 00:21 GMT+0000

Thanks! You've added two CPU coolers?

And yeah, I think two 980s might be a little overkill, but it'll certainly cover everything I need :P

Screen wise, I've looked into that screen, it's pretty awesome, I'm just still stuck for choice as to get that one, or go with a triple monitor setup. I have a weird thing about triple monitors, I think they're super awesome, I'm sure I'll make my mind up. Thinking of 3x4k ASUS monitors tbh, would need further graphics horsepower to push 'em though.

oh snap not sure why it let me put 2 coolers....go with the thermaltake in my opinion. and something you should know about triple monitor....many games dont work well in triple setups. and for content creation the ultra wide monitor would be a better option in my opinion because you wont have the bezels of the triple monitor setup sitting in the middle of your work. either way if you wanting to make content go with IPS monitors for much better color reproduction and you wont have to worry about color shift problems when looking from an angle. also if you ask me id rather get 1440p monitors than 4k, even if you do stick to 3 monitors 1440p is more than beautiful and 3 4k monitors would be pretty hard to drive at a good frame rate. even if i was dropping 6k on a system id stick to 1440p ips monitors.... maybe hold out till the freesync monitors start hitting the market.... also if you are ok with waiting consider the new wave of amd cards that will be coming shortly... supposedly the new ones will have the high bandwidth memory and could easily make them a more compelling option over the 980s

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

also since that build i put together is far below your budget i would also consider leaving the PC with just the 1tb hard disk and springing for a good NAS solution and a 10gb network card. western digital has a good stand alone nas solution with 2 bays you could drop 2 3tb disks in there and run em in raid 1 for  abit of data safety

oh snap not sure why it let me put 2 coolers....go with the thermaltake in my opinion. and something you should know about triple monitor....many games dont work well in triple setups. and for content creation the ultra wide monitor would be a better option in my opinion because you wont have the bezels of the triple monitor setup sitting in the middle of your work. either way if you wanting to make content go with IPS monitors for much better color reproduction and you wont have to worry about color shift problems when looking from an angle. also if you ask me id rather get 1440p monitors than 4k, even if you do stick to 3 monitors 1440p is more than beautiful and 3 4k monitors would be pretty hard to drive at a good frame rate. even if i was dropping 6k on a system id stick to 1440p ips monitors.... maybe hold out till the freesync monitors start hitting the market.... also if you are ok with waiting consider the new wave of amd cards that will be coming shortly... supposedly the new ones will have the high bandwidth memory and could easily make them a more compelling option over the 980s

So stuck between monitors haha!

Considering an 1440hz monitor for gaming in the centre of the build, then two 4k monitors on the outside. Hm.

I would go with the 1440p ROG Swift, as 4k needs a lot more GPU power to even run 60fps.

When it comes to cases, so do you have a lot of options, it just depend on what you want to stuff into it.

And it also depend on whether you want a case that looks good in it self (no window) or whether you want a case that shows off your components.

for content you do not want the swift.... it is a tn panel and will not do well for color work and such. yes a tn panel is ok for gaming and has better response time but really response time of your monitor means nothing unless your super hardcore about gaming. a good ips monitor with decent input response is a much better option here. and i really hope you don't do a 1440p in center and 4k on the sides that just doesn't make sense. if you must go 3 monitors i would stick to 1440p for all 3 and don't even look at anything that doesn't have an ips panel.

for content you do not want the swift.... it is a tn panel and will not do well for color work and such. yes a tn panel is ok for gaming and has better response time but really response time of your monitor means nothing unless your super hardcore about gaming. a good ips monitor with decent input response is a much better option here. and i really hope you don't do a 1440p in center and 4k on the sides that just doesn't make sense. if you must go 3 monitors i would stick to 1440p for all 3 and don't even look at anything that doesn't have an ips panel.

I dont think its that bad in terms of color:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor,3897-8.html

Besides, if you are that much into video editing, so do you have a seperate screen with proper color management on, so you are sure the colors are correct.

for the price of the swifts he could get 3 1440p ips panels and have enough left over for a NaS solution. face it... the swift is an awesome piece of kit but its way over priced because its a first time thing... if you must go swift wait till there are a few other competing monitors so the price drops. until then it isnt worth it

for the price of the swifts he could get 3 1440p ips panels and have enough left over for a NaS solution. face it... the swift is an awesome piece of kit but its way over priced because its a first time thing... if you must go swift wait till there are a few other competing monitors so the price drops. until then it isnt worth it

Its the same as most other pc parts, you need to choose where you want to put your money and whats worth it to you.

I have a Rog Swift my self, and I think its worth the money, aldo you got a few more choices available now.

but if the guy is already gonna go 3 monitors which would be the 3 swifts and then buy a whole other monitor just for color accuracy seems like a big waste when he could just go high quality ips panels for the 3 monitors and be fine doing any game or content creation. im not saying the swifts arent great monitors just dont think they fit this build well

but if the guy is already gonna go 3 monitors which would be the 3 swifts and then buy a whole other monitor just for color accuracy seems like a big waste when he could just go high quality ips panels for the 3 monitors and be fine doing any game or content creation. im not saying the swifts arent great monitors just dont think they fit this build well

That is always going to be a trade off.

Very few monitors (if any) are designed for both professionals and gamers.

I still think it would be best to wait till freesync comes out so we get a better price drop and more offerings

I would suggest a different motherboard, Asus X99-PRO ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard.

I would also suggest using a 4-lane M.2 ssd, Samsung XP941 Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive. Significantly better performance than a SATA III model.

If there is a possibility that a 3rd gpu would be added, a larger psu would be better, especially if the cpu and/or gpu are overclocked.. I expect that 1000W would be sufficient.

A better cpu cooler would likely improve the attainable overclock. NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler would be a good choice.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.