msi twin frozr fan not starting up

CmdrAdrian
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

try using the custom fan curve to put the fan % higher, hopefully that helps it spin up by itself

one of the fans on my r9 290  on occasion does not spin up unless i give it a nudge.
dont know what i should do, im contemplating ripping the cooler off and sticking on something like a g10.
opinions any one? 

What wattage is your power supply rated at? Although I doubt that power is the issue supposing no software issues occur.

You could check that the fan pin connector is in place although this will require removing the shell of the GPU. 

PS: no point on buying just a G10, you need to buy an all in one water cooler also

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

psu is a 750W corsair
ill check the connector and see if its snug

psu is a 750W corsair

ill check the connector and see if its snug

No issue with power then, although it wont hurt to check that the PCI-E power cords are pushed in all the way.

You could also check the Fan Pattern in MSI Afterburner to check that it is set to 'Auto'.

try using the custom fan curve to put the fan % higher, hopefully that helps it spin up by itself

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

im running a custom curve , i have it set to run 40% fan speed @ 30 and 100% at 70.
i checked the connector its good. i stopped the fan while it was spinning then let go and it just kinda stayed stopped...... it kinda moved a little but refused to start spinning until i gave it a push. i think the fan is a pos

I think I heard somewhere that the newer MSI coolers have a function that makes one fan not spin unless needed. Have you checked if yours has that feature?

that actually seemed to help. set to auto the fan does not always spin up when stopped. with it set higher it seems to work . guess im going to have the fans spinning faster all the time , yey more noise cheep crappy msi fans.

thanks for the help guys.

sorry for double post 

Should be able to find a sweet spot between what you had it set too and it won't increase in noise too badly.

that actually seemed to help. set to auto the fan does not always spin up when stopped. with it set higher it seems to work . guess im going to have the fans spinning faster all the time , yey more noise cheep crappy msi fans.

thanks for the help guys.

sorry for double post 

You're welcome :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020