Quantum dot to quantum physics

jos

The quantum dot technology announced in new TVs by major brands during CES is now being used to study quantum physics .

When the dots are excited by a current, they emit light, which makes them a good medium for building lasers. The Princeton team, led by physics professor Jason Petta, built a small transistor-type device called a double-dot micromaser. It consists of four quantum dots, in two pairs, placed inside and toward the end of a narrow cavity.

The dots in each pair are separated by about 500 nanometers (for comparison, an average strand of human hair is about 100,000 nanometers wide). Between them are tiny wires, about 150 nanometers apart, arranged so that looking from one dot to another one would see them crossing the path like a fence. The setup functions like a transistor, with one dot as the current source, the other as the drain, and the wires as gate electrodes.

In the experiment, the whole apparatus was cooled to a few thousandths of a degree above absolute zero and hooked up to a battery. This created a tiny current and voltage, which allowed the electrons in the quantum dots to "tunnel" from the source dot to the drain, through the wires that make up the gate electrodes. When an electron tunnels through, it releases a particle of light, called a photon, in the microwave range. Each time the two sets of dots release a photon, they reinforce each other, and emit coherent photons, in step with each other — a maser.

The tunneling happens because the gate electrode's wires are like barriers that an electron has to hop over. In the everyday world, particles can't go through such barriers — getting over a fence typically requires expending a certain amount of energy to lift an object over it. In quantum mechanics, however, that isn't true: There's some probability that an electron will get through a barrier as long as a certain energy threshold is reached. When it does tunnel through, it loses energy.

Source;http://www.livescience.com/49478-quantum-dots-maser-entanglement.html

Yep I do love a bit of quantum tunneling. Without it the universe may not exist as we see it now, The sun requires this for nucler fusion reacitions. DNA requires it to break down bonds quickly. Good stuff though but its kinda useless unless we can get it working at room temps etc.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yep I do love a bit of quantum tunneling. Without it the universe may not exist as we see it now, The sun requires this for nucler fusion reacitions. DNA requires it to break down bonds quickly. Good stuff though but its kinda useless unless we can get it working at room temps etc.

The sun I knew. But breaking down DNA?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

The sun I knew. But breaking down DNA?

Yeah to break down complex molecules in our body our DNA produces a special enzyme  that has the ability to break the high energy bonds down very quickly without much effort. I believe I read it in a case study about how Tad polls turn into Frogs and how there bodys transform so quickly as its impossible to do this normally without some sort of mechanism to save energy and break the bonds in its tail and things.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yeah to break down complex molecules in our body our DNA produces a special enzyme that has the ability to break the high energy bonds down very quickly without much effort. I believe I read it in a case study about how Tad polls turn into Frogs and how there bodys transform so quickly as its impossible to do this normally without some sort of mechanism to save energy and break the bonds in its tail and things.

They were talking about this in a program about quantum mechanics from the BBC.

They were talking about this in a program about quantum mechanics from the BBC.

That was it! :)