x99 Mixing Ram of Different Brand/Frequencies

Hi Guys,

Got my hands on some cheap Crucial DDR4 2400 4x4gb Kit

and I already have a Corsair DDR4 2800 4x4gb Kit.

I don't mind if all of them perform at 2400.

Here's my question.

Will this affect the quad channel ability of the ram?

Will it affect my CPU OC capabilities ?

Any stability issues ?

or should I just sell of the Crucial kit ?

Thanks.  

It will work, the ram will just run at the speed of the slowest dimm.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It should work fine, the reason RAM is sold in kits is because the manufacturer guarantees the modules in the kit to work together but does NOT guarantee compatibility with any other modules -- although it's rare for there to be a compatibility issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Make sure the responding kits have the responding ports.

EX: A1 + A2 and B1 + B2 have  same ram, C1+C2 D1+D2 have same ram.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

thanks guys :)

will I be locked to 2400
or would I be able to push the ram speeds ?

Quite sure the Crucial 2400 is highly overclock-able

Also, this would not affect my CPU Overclock limits right ?

Planning to hit at least 4ghz on my 5830k

Make sure the responding kits have the responding ports.

EX: A1 + A2 and B1 + B2 have same ram, C1+C2 D1+D2 have same ram.

That sounds wrong to me :P

It's a1 b1 c1 d1 that should the same ram and then a2 b2 c2 d2 for the other brand

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

thanks guys :)

will I be locked to 2400

or would I be able to push the ram speeds ?

Quite sure the Crucial 2400 is highly overclock-able

Also, this would not affect my CPU Overclock limits right ?

Planning to hit at least 4ghz on my 5830k

My thoughts:

Pushing ram speeds/timings on 2 different types of ram could be tricky.

They are rated for different settings, so their individual overclocking limit will be different.

It's likely they are using a different brand of chips aswell(micron, Samsung or hynix) and those chips somtimes need different settings to work correctly. So it can get tricky when overclocking :P

A wild guess is that the corsair sticks would be using hynix and the crucial are micron chips

However, I think it is possible to oc them both but can't comment on it that much as I've never tried ocing 2 different brands at once :P

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

ddr4 ram is kinda fussy so I wouldn't recommend it.

but if you are going to try then make sure you put the ram in the appropriate channels and manually set all the timings to be the same. 

Mobo manufacturers recommend identical kits for a reason.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Mobo manufacturers recommend identical kits for a reason.

For the same reason that GPU manufacturers recommend way overkill power supplies; and the same reason why Valve doesn't "allow" paypal-for item trades. It's much easier to say something won't work and then not have to deal with the few cases where an issue arises then it is to have to actually have to deal with those few issues. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

For the same reason that GPU manufacturers recommend way overkill power supplies; and the same reason why Valve doesn't "allow" paypal-for item trades. It's much easier to say something won't work and then not have to deal with the few cases where an issue arises then it is to have to actually have to deal with those few issues.

It's actually a big red warning in the manual.

I mean you can do t, but if you're not looking to troubleshoot problems it's easier to just run the same kit.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

It's actually a big red warning in the manual.

I mean you can do t, but if you're not looking to troubleshoot problems it's easier to just run the same kit.

It's a big red warning because motherboard manufacturers don't want to have to deal with the few issues that arise and don't want to be blamed for an incompatibility. 

But take a poll on the forums of how many people mix ram and how many of them have actually had problems. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

OFF TOPIC:

Id have a simmilar question and kind of dont want to create a new topic:

Can i install 2x8gb sticks of the same ram into my rig which right now contains 8gbs to add to a total of 24gb?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

OFF TOPIC:

Id have a simmilar question and kind of dont want to create a new topic:

Can i install 2x8gb sticks of the same ram into my rig which right now contains 8gbs to add to a total of 24gb?

My Z97 system has been running 2x 4gb Modules + 2x 8gb Modules stable for the past 8 months or so.

Both are are rated for the same speed and timing.

Have had no issues so far.

To be fair,  I haven't overclocked this system at all as it's meant for work.