Game sprites for Unity

Sicarius

Hi all, not too sure if this belongs here or not. So I am learning to use Unity, web dev wasn't for me and I am sick of making stupid little programs with C# that have no use. I've always liked the idea of making a game. I am learning Unity and want to start making a 2D game, but was wondering what I'd use to make the sprites? Or where I'd get them from? I have done a little GFX design with Illustrator and PS, and was wondering if these were used?

On a more 'programming -type' subject a quick question on how Unity handles scripts attached to objects, when I attach a script to an object I take it that the object gets its own instance of the class in the script correct? Also, the Start() function is essentialy a constructor right?

Hi all, not too sure if this belongs here or not. So I am learning to use Unity, web dev wasn't for me and I am sick of making stupid little programs with C# that have no use. I've always liked the idea of making a game. I am learning Unity and want to start making a 2D game, but was wondering what I'd use to make the sprites? Or where I'd get them from? I have done a little GFX design with Illustrator and PS, and was wondering if these were used?

On a more 'programming -type' subject a quick question on how Unity handles scripts attached to objects, when I attach a script to an object I take it that the object gets its own instance of the class in the script correct? Also, the Start() function is essentialy a constructor right?

You have for example a cube and you put a material over it and this material just contain the .png or .bmp which is the sprite. That's how I would go about doing that.

I don't know if it supports stuff like .psd.

What do you mean?

Lets says Object A and Object B both have Script A attached to it.

Object A's Script A, will NOT affect Object B's Script A. You don't have to make 2 scripts for both objects one.

Just use the same script for both objects.

Start() happens on play. It happens once and that once is at the beginning of the game.

Update is done once per frame 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I see. So I can use any pogram that exports those file types. As for the script questions that sort of answers it for me. So I should use start as the class constructor?

So I should use start as the class constructor?

You should use it to initialize variables and set up components yes, but it's more like an init method than a constructor.

Right, after the responses here and watching a load of tutorials my questions are cleared up and answered. Thanks for the help all.