USB 3.0 or SSD

cxz

Alright I know this is like comparing apples to oranges, but I was wondering which I should buy first, because obviously the usb is cheaper and I could buy now and the SSD a little later. Anyway USB 3.0 would save me some time with transferring my school work and other crap I want to transfer around, the SSD would help my over all system. Also right now I have a momentous xt and I feel pretty good about my speed.

Would there be a huge improvement writing to the usb with an ssd and also would it be better to have 2 128gb SSD in raid 0 or just buy the next size up? Oh and would there be any noticeable real world difference in speed between the 128 and 256 versions?

Thanks!

Well if you are constantly backing up and saving to an external drive than the USB 3.0 will come in handy with its fast transfer speeds compared to USB 2.0

Writing to the USB 3.0 drive will only be as fast as the drives can read/write. So an ssd may be able to read/write in super fast speeds, but the speed it will write to an external hdd won't even be close to those speeds due to the slow spinning hdd. Most portable drives are 5400rpm so the speeds are a lot slower compared to the ssds and 7200rpm drives.

Two ssds in raid 0 would be really fast but it wouldn't be as reliable. If one drive happens to die, then your whole setup is gone. If you're still okay with the speeds from your hybrid drive, than I would stay with that. But if you have the money, go for a 240gb+ drive. But that's if you know you're going to need that extra amount of space compared to a 120gb ssd. I would suggest an Intel 335 or Samsung 840 pro drive. Mushkin also has a good deal on a 240gb ssd. Either way an ssd is always a good upgrade.

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

This would depend for me. I am assuming you would be using the flash drive to transfer files from school to your home pc and back. if that is the case and if the school had usb 3 than i would get the usb 3 flash drive. other wise i would wait and get the SSD's for your own pc. if your OS and Programs will be on the SSD then that would save you more time then the usb3 would save you.

Thanks guys and no I think my comp is the only one with 3.0, but we are supposed to be getting new computers though. Well guess I'll just save for an ssd and keep using my slow ass external drive. lol