Portable AMP/DAC + Music player

Majestic

So I was looking for a portable music player for my B&W P7's. But it got me thinking, I currently use a AudioEngine D1 which isn't the best match for my P7's. The output impedance is 10ohms, and the impedance of the phones is 22ohm. Either way you look at this, it's a poor match. Audio isn't terrible, but the electrical dampening is just a little poor.

So I was wondering if I could combine the purchase of a new DAC with the portable player. I know, for example, a Fiio X3 can be used as a portable DAC aswell. But I can't quite find out if the X1 has the same functionality.

Have you guys tested either of these devices? What do you think of the solution?

Regards, 

maj.

Don't know how no one's answered this, but the X1 does not have a DAC functionality. Only the X3 and X5 have that. Personally I own the X3 and it has definitely been one of my favourite purchases. I use it daily. Also with the AudioEngine you can continue to use it as your desktop DAC with the X3 as you can use the X3 as only a an amp with the line in.

Honestly there are so few DAPs at this price point that if you want that DAC/player combo Fiio is your only option.

Sorry for the delayed response, noone responded so I forgot about it.

Don't know how no one's answered this, but the X1 does not have a DAC functionality. Only the X3 and X5 have that. Personally I own the X3 and it has definitely been one of my favourite purchases. I use it daily. Also with the AudioEngine you can continue to use it as your desktop DAC with the X3 as you can use the X3 as only a an amp with the line in.

Honestly there are so few DAPs at this price point that if you want that DAC/player combo Fiio is your only option.

That line-in I didn't know, could be useful since I also need to connect the speakers. 

Sansa ClipZip + Rockbox firmware = master race

Yeah true, that one is pretty nice. But i'd still be stuck with the D1 Op-amps, which are pretty bad.

Agree!

+1 for the X3. The X1 is nice at that pricepoint (i tried it) but not exactly what your looking for i guess.

How do you like your P7? I still use my 1. gen P5 and i still like them but i'm considering an upgrade for mobile use.

Love it, though I wouldn't mind also getting some open-backed pair of phones for games. The closed cans are a bit annoying for gaming sometimes. Music sounds really good, though the bass is a bit loose which I fear is due to the poor impedance matching (D1 it's 1/2.2, onboard it's 1/1). I fear this, because on the onboard it's exactly 1/1, and the bass is pretty boomy, on the D1 it's a bit tighter at 1/2.2. But i'd bet 100bucks it sounds better on a <1ohm output impedance amp since the cans are so sensitive. From what i've read though, they are a solid step-up from the P5's, as P7 is usually compared to those.

Def. designed for the low output-impedance smartphones.