Must I uninstall driver when upgrading?

scheduleX
Go to solution Solved by dadasmithywinkle,

I planning to upgrade my gtx 550ti to gtx 970. My current gpu driver is the latest already and I have no issues running it. It is still necessary to uninstall it before changing the gpu?

Welcome to the forums, ScheduleX!

To answer your question: No, when using GeForce Experience (which you should be if you're not) it will automatically uninstall the old drivers when it installs the new ones.

I planning to upgrade my gtx 550ti to gtx 970. My current gpu driver is the latest already and I have no issues running it. It is still necessary to uninstall it before changing the gpu?

Welcome to the forums, ScheduleX!

To answer your question: No, when using GeForce Experience (which you should be if you're not) it will automatically uninstall the old drivers when it installs the new ones.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

i would uninstal it and do a fresh install and you will be sure not to have any issues.

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

Thanks for the quick response people. Nice forum here. I usually just Google around for answers but this question kind of too confusing for Google lol.