Hey im in the process of building my pc and was wondering if anyone knows if i am able to install one of my graphics cards in slot 1 and the other in slot 3 and if so would i have any performance impact?

Thanks in advance

no its fine you need to consult the manual to see what lanes they are becasue it may affect performance yes

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Yes, you can. And no, they will perform the same as other slots. If anything, it will give it more room for air, so it might perform better. 

Yes, you can. And no, they will perform the same as other slots. If anything, it will give it more room for air, so it might perform better. 

some pci lanes do not perform as well as others

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

some pci lanes do not perform as well as others

On the X99S SLI Plus, the third PCIe slot will run at x16 when using 2 GPUs. Even when using 3 GPUs, they still run at x8 x8 x8 I think, so there won't be any bandwidth issues. 

On the X99S SLI Plus, the third PCIe slot will run at x16 when using 2 GPUs. Even when using 3 GPUs, they still run at x8 x8 x8 I think, so there won't be any bandwidth issues. 

fair enough then 

Thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it just finishing it up now :)

THe Asus X99-A, has a CF/sli switch, which you can choose what kind of config you like to run.

At the end of the slots there are leds, that indicates which slots should be used. its a cool feuture.

I´m personaly not a big fan of the Msi X99S Sli plus to be honnest.

Maybe its a bit offtopic but yeah...

THe Asus X99-A, has a CF/sli switch, which you can choose what kind of config you like to run.

At the end of the slots there are leds, that indicates which slots should be used. its a cool feuture.

I´m personaly not a big fan of the Msi X99S Sli plus to be honnest.

Maybe its a bit offtopic but yeah...

Those dipswitches are meant to turn off a slot, not to set what kinda SLI/CF/lanes setup. So if you have 4 cards and there's something wrong with one card, rather than taking one by one out you just flip the switch instead. The leds are just indicating which slots are used, not what slots should be used. Personally I don't see the point of the MSI X99s thing, the only thing I find interesting is that it's fully black. Just misses a lot of features the X99-A provides like bios flashback, dipswitches, semi-passive fan control etc. Anyways you have to be honest all X99 boards are amazing, there's no difference in terms of reliability/overclocking/build quality between the cheapest & most expensive X99 board.