Android 5.0 Issues.

EDIT: yes I completely messed up the tags, I was going to complain about my shield tablet being really slow upon waking. SOOOOO yeahhhh.. and I already figured out the star thing, I keep accidentally muting my notifications.

Hi,

Let me start off by pointing out a few things.

My phone is on Rogers, my plan, not surprisingly, is bloody terrible. So at the moment I have hit the data cap. Both of my devices are on wifi that has internet access (literally writing this on the same network). I prefer talking to my phone to get to apps quicker, but today I have encounter a usability breaking issue.

Here is a link to all of the apps on both my phone and on my tablet, they are synced almost perfectly (my lg phone has some extra lg shit on it).

apps list 

Now here is some screenshots of my issue:

phone:

WXB3beJ.png

3k6YMOd.png

Tablet:

nESLpXR.png

zaScRba.png

These are screenshots that are uncompressed, so there large images.

It works fine if I type in something, but that's unefficient and against how my phone and tablet is organized.

I use yahoo aviate as a primary launcher.

The star on the tablet means nothing, i keep accidentally muting notifications because the options for that is in the same slider as volume. It's just another simple usability thing that makes me think that the designers took a giant hit off of a bong, and got to work.

So how do i fix this google voice thingy?

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.

Are you using a rom?

Also 5.0 is brand spanking new so there are bugs and it seems your launcher might be the problem as well

nope, I should have mentioned that my tablet is the Nvidia shield; updated to the latest, my phone is running android 4.1.2.

EDIT: my primary issues with android 5.0 have been performance (particularly after waking the device) and usability.

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

nope, I should have mentioned that my tablet is the Nvidia shield; updated to the latest, my phone is running android 4.1.2.

EDIT: my primary issues with android 5.0 have been performance (particularly after waking the device) and usability.

Might have to do with nvidia porting to their device, could be issues with the architecture.

Might have to do with nvidia porting to their device, could be issues with the architecture.

maybe, it's still not solved, I am also having issues with the new chrome browser, I can't go back or forward when I'm using the controller for navigation.

I was going to make a post about my performance issues as well, but then I accidentally hit "tab" then "backspace". Soooo... yeah.. here's my issues with nvidia shield tablet.

When I try to use my tablet in the morning for ACS (adam carolla show), news, and weather. It literally will freeze on me every single time I try to switch between apps within ~10 minutes of use, outside of the 10 minutes its fast and snappy like usual. Really freaking annoying because it takes really long time to turn on now. But, hey, battery life has improved significantly so I guess it hasn't all been lost (roughly 7 hours, now getting around 15 hours because the device seems to sleep properly now).

The controller will also disconnect when switching between regular and console mode, it didn't used to do that before the upgrade, so, Idk whats up with that.

This next paragraph is a issue since I bought the tablet back when it came out; Nvidia prism is just annoying, I honestly thought my screen was defective because the back-light was noticeably adjusting brightness, it was also making me nauseous cause the color was changing in a wavy pattern on still images . So what a waste of time that tech is because it literally didn't have a noticeable effect on battery life. I say "was" cause I have prism turned off now.

I can literally get a month's battery on the controller. I only use it for web browsing and netflix, I thought I would game tons on it, but then shit game after shit game came out and I'm burnt out on console gaming (weeeoooo CSGO). Oh yeah, the bloody controller still doesn't work on non-nvidia pc's. The track pad on this controller is beast compared to the 360's controller non-existent one, and what its only like $10-$20 more? It also feel's like the shield controller is built with better materials and it doesn't have that massive dead zone (I am only mentioning that because that's what people say, but I don't notice it.), but yeah its only on nvidia, so there goes that.

Again, I wish the controller (or tv) can wake the tablet when connected. Fun fact: you can connect the tablet to the controller, sleep the tablet, the controller will not turn off, then wake the tablet and the controller is still connected. So I feel that there is a missed usability feature here.

On a 7 (or whatever the tit it is) inch tablet, the middle scroll down for notifications is the worlds most moronic move. How the hell am I supposed to interact with the notifications with one hand? Google get your shit together, the usability of android 5 on a tablet is absolutely shit. On android 4.x the left side of the screen controlled notifications and the right was system settings (orientation, brightness, etc), and the scroll down actually (kind of) stayed on the edge where you can freaking reach it with one hand.

I got another complaint with the wifi, I feel that I have to be in the same room as the router and point the back of the tablet at the router. But, this will probably be fixed soon through software patches because this wasn't an issue in android 4.x.

In short (kind of), most of the usability issues are on google's end; obviously. Windows did this with 8, simple is not better, simple creates a billion fu**ing sub menu's and spawns middle of the screen menus that consumes way to much space for such little information. One more thing that drives me insane, it literally just happened during the last line, why the frick does the wifi button only turn off and on wifi, no matter if I hold it or tap it? Why the frick, do I have to go to Google speech, type in settings (cause as mentioned, voice isn't working), and manage SSID's there (yes, this is how I use my phone and tablet, I use google ask (now?) whatever the tit its called). Am I missing something? If I'm not this is just bloody fucking retarded coming from android 4.x. 

Java tuts:

221 Goodbye.

Just saying in 5.0.1 lollipop the thing where you complained about the WiFi in the notification center drop down if you hit where it says the name of the network your connected to it takes you to the WiFi section of your settings app.

Hmm, interesting. Since you're having a similar issue on both devices my first assumption would be that there may be an issue with the network.

As somewhat of a side note, it seems as though you're trying to launch apps via google now, and I believe the correct syntax of that would be "Launch X-App", such as "Launch Play Store", or "Lauch Settings". I believe 'Open' works interchangeably as well.