Build for Friend wont boot

shirokado

I just built a system for a friend... it wont boot?

like the fans spin for a little bit(2 seconds or so) and then turns off. and it repeats. I will list the specs and the methods i have tried/ please read before responding/

CPU: Intel core i5-3330

Cooler: Stock

Drive: Samsung 840 120GB

PSU: some diablotek 600w thing

GPU: GTX560Ti Hawk 1GB

Case: 550d

Motherboard: Biostar TH67+

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Ram 4Gb 2x2GB(heatsink stripped)

ok here are the methonds i have tried before posting this.

1: Reseat the 24 pin 8 pin and dual 6 pin and sata plugs

2: Change PSU: used PSU was a Corsair AX750

3: changed ram to kingston hyper x 8gb

4. tried 1 stick(did this twice, 1 for each ram stick)

none of these methonds work....

while im waiting for this post im gonna try

1. Reseat the CPU

2. Try a different GPU

3. Try a different motherboard

Any other suggestions? I know alot of troubleshooting methonds because when i built my first core2quad machine i had problems like this to. but i don't remember all of them

P.S. I don't belive the diablotek PSU is dead, because it ran fine on my AMD system

also note that my motherboard takes a 8 pin, my psu only has a 4 pin plug(only fits into the left 4 slots)

but the psu doesnt seem to be the issue because my ax750 failed to boot the system as well.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Yes. A PSU with only a 4 pin CPU power plug in an 8 pin plug will have no effect, unless overclocking. On your current motherboard, try shorting the two power pins on the motherboard with a flat head screwdriver. Also, is the motherboard on its standoffs? And are there any standoffs that are screwed in that are touching some stray area of the board on the bottom?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you tried booting the gpu in a separate system?

Booting without gpu?

Link the psu please. Is it rate 80 plus or higher?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Since it's an H67 board you need to update the BIOS to support the CPU.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/support/faq_content.php?S_ID=513

Dem observational powers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Have you tried booting the gpu in a separate system?

Booting without gpu?

Link the psu please. Is it rate 80 plus or higher?

the diablotek is some none efficient 30 dollar power suppl0y. and i can say with confidence that the psu isnt the problem as i wrote in my post. and yes i have tried the gtx560ti on my main i7 system. as well as my new haswell i5 system and my amd 8350 system. it seemed to function fine.

Since it's an H67 board you need to update the BIOS to support the CPU.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/support/faq_content.php?S_ID=513

OH that kind of explains alot. I knew i was missing something. so anybody explain to me how to update bios? :D i really have no idea how.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

OH that kind of explains alot. I knew i was missing something. so anybody explain to me how to update bios? :D i really have no idea how.

I'm not sure how to do it if it doesn't post. 

and this^ is why I spend a few dollars more for B75--along with usb 3.0

An out of date BIOS wouldn't cause the system to behave this way. I had a Gigabyte motherboard with an AM3+ socket, but didn't support an 8120 without a BIOS update. When I put the CPU in the socket, it just ran. Didn't shut off.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'm not sure how to do it if it doesn't post. 

and this^ is why I spend a few dollars more for B75--along with usb 3.0

well the h67 board was something i teared oof my home theater pc running a pentium g860. lol so i can plug back my pentium (or just my i7 cause i dont know where i put that pentium thing) and then what do i do after it posts?

the diablotek is some none efficient 30 dollar power suppl0y. and i can say with confidence that the psu isnt the problem as i wrote in my post. and yes i have tried the gtx560ti on my main i7 system. as well as my new haswell i5 system and my amd 8350 system. it seemed to function fine.

Download the 7 x64 / Vista x64

http://download.biostar.com.tw/upload/Driver//Chipset/Intel/VGA/T/IVYbridge/W7VISTA/8.15.10.2712/WinVista7_64.exe

And double click the exe and see what happens. Honestly I don't know what you do.

An out of date BIOS wouldn't cause the system to behave this way. I had a Gigabyte motherboard with an AM3+ socket, but didn't support an 8120 without a BIOS update. When I put the CPU in the socket, it just ran. Didn't shut off.

I really don't like your..... profile picture.  :wacko:

I really don't like your..... profile picture.  :wacko:

I'll change it sometime. At least it's not a close up shot of a spider's face.

Any more help pls? I updated the bios. Fully install drivers and everything by putting my 2600k in. So I know all the parts are alive. But when I put the 3330 in it won't boot..... Is the CPU dead or something?.

So the system works fine with the 2600K?

Yes CPU could very well be dead/defective.

Is it brand new?

Have you tried it in any other builds?

Best bet would be to contact the store you purchased it from ASAP so you have some form of official notice that the component may be dead. Do this even if you are still checking to see if the cpu is dead or not. Instead of waiting too long and possibly missing the return window and have to RMA to manufacturer.

It's not often but it does happen where you parts arrive DOA, stores don't check before shipping.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

So the system works fine with the 2600K?

yes the system was working fine with the 2600k, though it did have trouble starting up for some reason, it had to turn on and off about 3 times before powering in, but with the 3330 it just keeps turning on and off 

Yes CPU could very well be dead/defective.

Is it brand new?

Have you tried it in any other builds?

Best bet would be to contact the store you purchased it from ASAP so you have some form of official notice that the component may be dead. Do this even if you are still checking to see if the cpu is dead or not. Instead of waiting too long and possibly missing the return window and have to RMA to manufacturer.

It's not often but it does happen where you parts arrive DOA, stores don't check before shipping.

yes i bought the 3330 from frys electronics just yesterday. im guessing its dead so im gonna return it to frys next weekend. or possibly later today

Test the PSU with the paperclip method.

Youtube: 

It may have just died on you after you tested those other things, maybe you fixed the real problem and this problem came after that - you never know :)

So many things I could write here... things like this.