ASUS Strix: 1 fan at 100% and unresponsive

MichaelBP

Hi folks, 

I just got a brand new ASUS GTX 970 Strix. However one of the two fans are going at 100% from the sec. i turn the computer on, til I turn it off again.

The other fan is responding normal, just spinding at startup, then power down again.

Using GPUTweak I can also just control the normal responding fan,while the other one is still going at full speed no mather what I set the RPM % to.

Does anybody know if it is a problem I can fix, or do I just have to RMA it?   :(

FRACTAL DESIGN R4 / AMD FX 8350 / NVIDIA GTX 770 / ASUS SABERTOOTH FX990 R2

MacBook Pro (2011) w. Samsung 840 PRO & 16 GB Corsair Ram

So far its seems like RMA 

Contact Asus and see what they say 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Fan control issues / fan problems seem easy to find for this card on the net.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

So far its seems like RMA 

Contact Asus and see what they say 

I'm afraid your right. 

I also found some forum posts and videos other places, but it seems to be another problem where only one fan works, where my problem is that it wont stop "working" :P - But they could be related. 

I also have an issue with my Strix 970 but its kind of a good problem.

No matter how hard I try OCing and stressing it, I can't seem to get is past 60 degrees C.

Even weirder after OC to 1475 and 8010 and playing AC Unity on Ultra High temp fell to 55 degrees.

My guess is that something wrong with sensors since I have Auto Fan speed at like 40% or something - havn't touched that.

ASUS STRIX-GTX970 (1475, 8010), i5-4690K, ASUS Z97 MAXIMUS RANGER VII, EVO 840 250 GB SSD, ETS-T40-TB, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, FSP 600W Gold, FD Define R4, Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition, Razer Deathadder, Windows 10 Developer Preview

I can´t see that... there are some issues but you can find that about every card and manufacturer. My GTX980 STRIX runs perfectly fine and before I would RMA the card I´d probably try and see if there´s a newer BIOS version out there and update the BIOS of the card first to a newer revision.

I could be a faulty card, and if the OP doesn´t know how to flash a GPU BIOS it´s maybe best case to RMA it. There´s unfortunately a slim margin of scrap in every bin and it doesn´t really matter which brand you call out for that. I´ve had a faulty EVGA card and a faulty MSI before, does it mean I´ll never trust these brands again and hate around? NO it´s just a matter of replacing one item for another.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I also have an issue with my Strix 970 but its kind of a good problem.

No matter how hard I try OCing and stressing it, I can't seem to get is past 60 degrees C.

Even weirder after OC to 1475 and 8010 and playing AC Unity on Ultra High temp fell to 55 degrees.

My guess is that something wrong with sensors since I have Auto Fan speed at like 40% or something - havn't touched that.

That´s not an issue... you can´t go higher on temps because you hit the voltage and TDP limit of your card before you hit higher temps. The cooler of the STRIX is really good. Even my GTX980 STRIX cooler with modded BIOS won´t get more than 65 degree Celsius in stress tests.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I can´t see that... there are some issues but you can find that about every card and manufacturer. My GTX980 STRIX runs perfectly fine and before I would RMA the card I´d probably try and see if there´s a newer BIOS version out there and update the BIOS of the card first to a newer revision.

I could be a faulty card, and if the OP doesn´t know how to flash a GPU BIOS it´s maybe best case to RMA it. There´s unfortunately a slim margin of scrap in every bin and it doesn´t really matter which brand you call out for that. I´ve had a faulty EVGA card and a faulty MSI before, does it mean I´ll never trust these brands again and hate around? NO it´s just a matter of replacing one item for another.

Where is the hate train I started?  How about you calm down and stop reading things into posts that you want to read into them.  In regards to brands of cards I will not buy EVGA or MSI under any circumstance for good reason based on things they have done in the recent past.  Where did I say anything about Asus?  Also what I found in my searches was what I said in that previous post and if you disagree fine.  Also yes fact is there is always faulty hardware from even the most reputable manufacturers.  I am not stupid.  Don't treat me like I am.  Can you get back to helping the OP and other people instead of wasting time on this?

But can i update the bios without voiding the warranty? And where do I find out if there is a newer bios? - Nvidia and ASUS only appear to have drivers available 

But can i update the bios without voiding the warranty? And where do I find out if there is a newer bios? - Nvidia and ASUS only appear to have drivers available 

You can look and see if you can find it on Asus´ page or contact their customer service and ask them about the warranty terms. Always staying as save as possible.

Where is the hate train I started?  How about you calm down and stop reading things into posts that you want to read into them.  In regards to brands of cards I will not buy EVGA or MSI under any circumstance for good reason based on things they have done in the recent past.  Where did I say anything about Asus?  Also what I found in my searches was what I said in that previous post and if you disagree fine.  Also yes fact is there is always faulty hardware from even the most reputable manufacturers.  I am not stupid.  Don't treat me like I am.  Can you get back to helping the OP and other people instead of wasting time on this?

What is you problem? First of all I didn´t freak out or insult you... I don´t like the way you write that to me so I beg you to calm down. You have a different opinion than I have so what? What kind of hardware you buy or not buy... I couldn´t care less. I am a super enthusiast and buy proabably more hardware in one year than you in 5... so if you don´t like what I write just move on but don´t try to get personal with that passive agressive writing or do you think just because you´ve got 5k posts you have the right to insult people?

Najuno you were rude. If you don't think so fine.  Move on please and help people instead of posting more of this nonsense. Insult you? I defended myself.  Man you really seem like a troll.  Go back under the bridge.

Yes you can update a BIOS without voiding a warranty.

Najuno you were rude. If you don't think so fine.  Move on please and help people instead of posting more of this nonsense. Insult you? I defended myself.  Man you really seem like a troll.  Go back under the bridge.

So now you try to insult me and not quote that I don´t read it?

To call me a troll is ridiculous, if you´d read some topics here in GPU sub forums you´d know that there aren´t too many people with the knowledge about GPUs, that I have. Why do you think I take the time and manage the LTT 3D Mark spread sheet?

There was no reason to 'defend' yourself because I did not approach you agressivly...  and to tell me to go back under my bridge, well grow up and behave like a man. I´m reporting you for the bridge comment.