Best GCSE options to take when i'm hoping to do an IT based job?

iHammmy

Hello,

I am in the process of choosing my GCSE option, which for anyone out of the UK, is basically where you choose normally four subjects to look take into futher details (and you end up dropping most others)

I will include a list of IT / Technical based options from which I can choose from and which I am thinking about doing.

Options from which I can choose from which are electronic based:

• Computer Science
  • ICT
  • Engineering
  • Product Design

They are the one which are generally computer based.

I was thinking about choosing the following subjects on top of Math and English

• Computer Science
  • Business Studies (GCSE)
  • History or Geography
  • Triple Science ( Biology, Physics and Chemistry )

It may be worth noting that I am in the top class for Maths and the second to top class for Science if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance,

~ Harry

It seems impossible until it's done.

Triple science would be a good bet, IT GCSE, because it will save you some trouble if you decide to an apprenticeship, then what interests you/good at, though computer science is probably a good call.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

triple science is good

ICT is usually pretty sucky so computer science is probably better choice (i wouldn't do both)

business studies is not particularly amazing but its alright.

history is better then geography imo

For GCSE I recommend doing Triple Science Maths, and IT

And then Choose IT A levels when you get to that stage, potentially along with maths and physics

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Triple science would be a good bet, IT GCSE, because it will save you some trouble if you decide to an apprenticeship, then what interests you/good at, though computer science is probably a good call.

its ICT, so its all about electronic communications, but they dont actually teach things like networking or how to set up a proper mail client server. its about powerpoints and advanced features of word. computer science is probably better (eg you spend more time writing reports about non IT stuff then spend time writing a report about how you used IT to write that report) suited. 

And then Choose IT A levels when you get to that stage, potentially along with maths and physics

if you fancy doing an IT A level make sure you ask what modules they plan on teaching and which ones they would let you pick, my schools didnt teach any of the technical aspect modules

definitely go for science. Also ignore ICT its complete from what i have heard waste of a subject (its like how to use spreadsheets and stuff ).

But honestly A levels (which determine what you can study at universtity, if you go) are much more important so just choose what you enjoy or think you will enjoy.

EDIT:
for context I did my GCSEs last year and at the moment im doing Further Maths, Physics and Computing Science at AS, Personally I think atm want to do electronic engineering or something similar so thats why I chose what i did but GCSE grades are the only thing that anyone will care about really, not so much what they were in (as long as you have english and maths)

its ICT, so its all about electronic communications, but they dont actually teach things like networking or how to set up a proper mail client server. its about powerpoints and advanced features of word.

That is why i said for an apprenticeship because i didn't do ICT GCSE so I have to do an equivalent in order to complete my apprenticeship, besides it is fairly expected now so it wouldn't hurt

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

That is why i said for an apprenticeship because i didn't do ICT GCSE so I have to do an equivalent in order to complete my apprenticeship, besides it is fairly expected now so it wouldn't hurt

It really can hurt, i had some friends who did ICT gcse and they learnt no technical skills (assuming that's what OP wants) eg. no networking, no basic code, you dont learn any of the back end side of IT, meanwhile the computer science subject might cover that in more of a sense

I got onto my current course, IT (EDEXCEL Extended Diploma Level 3), with 5+ GCSEs of C and above and for my choices back in secondary school I picked Business and ICT. Both proved to be useful when getting on my course and now when applying for University (I applied for MComp Games Software Development in 3 Universities and so far got offers from 2) which I think both my college course and the courses I did in secondary school are helping me to get on the course I want :)

From the 4 electronic based courses I think all of them will be suitable and allow you to follow an IT career. Definitely recommend doing Business since it will come handy no matter what you do in life as for ICT, in my case, it wasn't really that good and mostly doing things in Office suite :/ So in your case I think you should pick Computer Science and Business Studies (GCSE) just like you have selected. If you want any more info about the courses I did then feel free to ask :D

EDIT: You being very good at maths and science will be handy if you plan to go into 3D modeling or programming.

Thanks for the help guys. I probably wont be choosing ICT from what you have all told me and i'm glad now as I was nearly going to do it :P

Do you think engineering would come in for any use? Not that I would choose it; i'm just wondering. (I'm not very good at Design tech in school... :P)

Thanks for the help guys. I probably wont be choosing ICT from what you have all told me and i'm glad now as I was nearly going to do it :P

Do you think engineering would come in for any use? Not that I would choose it; i'm just wondering. (I'm not very good at Design tech in school... :P)

what do you like doing, what are you interested in, and what are you good at, thats generally the best way to pick things, usually in that order

Well it would if you want to go into the engineering/design part of IT. I had a lot of my friends do it and they found it interesting since they had to design and create their own products such as lamps. It will require some skill and a fair bit of documentation for all of the steps you did and why.

what do you like doing, what are you interested in, and what are you good at, thats generally the best way to pick things, usually in that order

Yeah, thats pretty much what my brother told me when I was thinking what to do :)

Well it would if you want to go into the engineering/design part of IT. I had a lot of my friends do it and they found it interesting since they had to design and create their own products such as lamps. It will require some skill and a fair bit of documentation for all of the steps you did and why.

Ah thanks.

I probably wouldn't want to go into that part of IT, I like the idea of making the software behind things rather than making the physical things for products.

Also, do you think these options could get me anywhere else in life if I sudenly decide that I don't want to be a 'programmer'? Like any other jobs that I could do with these option choices?

Thanks,

~ Harry

Also if it helps, my school has pretty up-to date software on our computers... We have windows 7 and Office 2013 if that helps in anyway? We also get to taken in iPads everyday as part of the 'iPads for all sheme'

We also have all Adobe software.

Also, do you think these options could get me anywhere else in life if I sudenly decide that I don't want to be a 'programmer'? Like any other jobs that I could do with these option choices?

Thanks,

~ Harry

if you want to be a programmer then computer science is teh most important one to take, also spend some time getting the basics of code.

and if you do decide you dont want to be a programmer dont worry, the skills are very transferable, especially if you have maths

if you want to be a programmer then computer science is teh most important one to take, also spend some time getting the basics of code.

and if you do decide you dont want to be a programmer dont worry, the skills are very transferable, especially if you have maths

Ah, thanks :) I was hoping to be in the Police force if I decide not be a Programmer. 

Computer science GCSE? Damn you're lucky. Couldn't even take IT in my school.

Computer science GCSE? Damn you're lucky. Couldn't even take IT in my school.

xD

Computer Science and Engineering are your best options. In the end, if you're going to college/university your GCSEs are irrelevant. If you go down that route their only relevance is to get you into college and then when applying to University you have to list them but very few Universities place any importance on them. Similarly when applying for a job straight out of University, your A levels are pretty much irrelevant. Particularly in IT related fields, your experience is much more important than your qualifications (although they are still required). When you're still new, your qualifications matter since you don't have experience but they will rarely look any further back than your degree.

I probably wont be choosing ICT from what you have all told me and i'm glad now as I was nearly going to do it :P

I don't get why everyone is hating on ICT. Yes it won't go as technical about how computers work or programming them as Computer Science but the skills you would learn in ICT will give you a base level for Comp Sci in college while ensuring you get an ICT GCSE which everyone leaving school should have and if you do decide you don't want to go into Software development or Computing then ICT will be a lot more useful.

A lot of college and uni work will still be written reports, presentations, excel, etc so better knowledge in those programs will help you a lot. You could write the best program in the class but if you can't produce a high quality report on it then you will struggle. Even at Uni your Dissertation is a massive piece of written work (mine was over 320 pages) and that's worth 20% of your overall grade.