Monitor for PC and Console

shunkan

Hi!

I am looking for a monitor to connect to my PC and Consoles/TV Cable Box. Right now I have Samsung P2470HD and it's great but I want to buy something new.

I was looking at couple of models, mostly from Asus and the ones that did catch my attention where this:

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/[1]

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278HE/[2]

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q/[3]

I am looking to connect my PC via DVI or Display port and Consoles+TV Box via HDMI. I would like to ask you for your opinions and suggestions about this or any other models. I have around 500EUR.

Thank you!

Intel Core i5-3570K @4,2Ghz w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 || MSI Z77A-G43 || Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 1600Mhz CL9 || MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G || Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB || CM Storm Quickfire XT || Roccat Kone Pure Optical || Logitech z-623 // Fiio e09k+e07k and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm + Zalman ZM-MIC1

I don't know how much you will need it but for that kind of money i would go for a 120Hz Screen.

I have a 120hz 24" BenQ screen which i love to death ;D

I think Samsung has one 27" 120hz (i think Linus has one) That has Displayport and HDMI output ^^

I was thinking of this: S27A950D - It's a really nice design screen and it's 120hz which is cool? ^^

But it's just slightly above the 500 euro marker ^^ (550 almost)

Other than that i would go for the PB278Q that you linked too :)

Both the screens is similar priced as of the prices i found in Norway (basically EU prices)

I don't know that much about screens but most of the things on your list is somewhat similar and i would have chosen what i think looks coolest ^^

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

- Game console don't go at 144Hz, let alone 120Hz, to enjoy a 140Hz monitor.

- You need your desktop computer to have enough power to play your games at least at 120fps to enjoy that fast monitor

- I don't get why you want to get that 144Hz 27inch monitor, it's only 1080p

- The ASUS PB278Q, like nearly all, if not all, 1440p monitors doesn't support HDMI 1.4b, so that means that the max resolution is only 1080p. You'll have the choice from the monitor (if the monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping), scale or not to scale the image (black borders all around). Game console output at most 1080p in any case.

So I assume it's for your PC as well. So then you have to pickk what is more important for you, more frames (TN 120Hz+) or better color reproduction, and wide view angles (IPS).

Thanks for help. Monitors I linked were just some that I found and met conditions of having both DVI, HDMI and Speakers. What you say is that for multi-use like mine(for both Console and PC) IPS 1080p display will be fine? Can you recommend any particular model? Thank you again.

Intel Core i5-3570K @4,2Ghz w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 || MSI Z77A-G43 || Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB 1600Mhz CL9 || MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G || Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB || CM Storm Quickfire XT || Roccat Kone Pure Optical || Logitech z-623 // Fiio e09k+e07k and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm + Zalman ZM-MIC1

The ASUS PB278Q doesn't have speakers. Beside you should be using your own set your speakers... monitor built-in speakers are total crap.

I would pass everything through your sound card of your PC, and outputs to your speakers, like this you can plug your headphones no problem, and also you can here what's going on the PC at the same time, like new messages or something.

My setup now is Monitor with consoles connected through HDMI and PC through the DVI, when in need of better sound I just connect my PC speakers to it. Sometimes I just don't need sound to be amazing. Thank you for your help again.

EDIT: From what I see PB278Q has speakers: 

• Audio Features
    Stereo Speakers : 3W x 2 Stereo RMS

Ah yes you are right... my bad! Thanks for the correction.

For your audio setup, buy a wire to connect the monitor Audio out to your Line-In of your sound card, and set your sound card to listen the Line-In. Now everything is unified, and you don't need to switch wires around. Or if you have optical audio in, connect the console optical output, to the optical in of the sound card. :)

That's a great tip, thank you! I think I will buy that PB278Q because it has everything I need and will last a long time, I think it will be perfect for watching movies and gaming(I don't think I need that 1ms 120Hz). Thank you again for your help.

You'll greatly enjoy it! My only concern is a 1080p console on it... I have no idea how it works in reality. Just before hitting the buy button, look into it.

I don't have a PS3 or XBox 360 to test.

whats the difference between the 1st monitor and the 2nd monitor?

I'm getting the 1st monitor?, will it work with ps4?

Both are 1080p.. one is 24inch, and the other is 27inch. Both are 144Hz.

WiiU, XBox 360, XBox One, PS3, and PS4 are 1080p console @ 60Hz. So getting 144Hz will be useless (unless you plug your PC, and you have the computational power to play your games at 120fps or more. Disable V-Sync in your game, and check the FPS to see if you get the needed fps).