Surface Pro alsways pops up the on screen keyboard

Mexxim

Hello guys,

i got a little issue with my surface pro 2 (windows 8.1)

everytime i tap somewhere to enter a text, it pops up the on screen keyboard although i got my typecover attached to it.

is there a way to disable this? Also when i use my finger to navigate in Chrome, the mouse icon stays where i take my finger off the screen which is especially annoying when reading text and scrolling through it.

Has anyone an idea of how to solve these two issues?

Thanks in advance! :)

- Mexxim -

My System: AsRock Z77 Extreme4-m, Intel Core i5 2500K @4 Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, ASUS GTX 970(4GB)

1 TB of SSD Storage, BeQuiet Pure Power 730W PSU - All stuffed in a Corsair Obsidian 350D

Hello guys,

everytime i tap somewhere to enter a text, it pops up the on screen keyboard although i got my typecover attached to it.

is there a way to disable this? Also when i use my finger to navigate in Chrome, the mouse icon stays where i take my finger off the screen which is especially annoying when reading text and scrolling through it.

- Mexxim -

The on screen keyboard just a feature in Chrome, I'm not sure if you can disable it, but have a look around in the settings menu (It did the same for me, but I don't use Chrome anymore)

And I don't know what's up with the mouse, I don't get that issue at all and I don't remember ever getting it when I used Chrome, does it do it on other applications or on the desktop?

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

The on screen keyboard just a feature in Chrome, I'm not sure if you can disable it, but have a look around in the settings menu (It did the same for me, but I don't use Chrome anymore)

And I don't know what's up with the mouse, I don't get that issue at all and I don't remember ever getting it when I used Chrome, does it do it on other applications or on the desktop?

No it isn't. The On-screen keyboard is Windows.

@Mexxim I'm a SurfacePro 3 user, it happens with me as well. However as soon as you press a key on the keyboard the on-screen keyboard swiftly goes away. As for the second issue, it's a part of Windows as well. The screen treats your finger as a mouse so wherever you touch on your keyboard the mouse moves there. AFAIK, neither can be removed. I just got used to it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

No it isn't. The On-screen keyboard is Windows.

I should have been clearer, the on-screen keyboard is a part of Windows, but it appearing whenever you go to enter text is Chrome's fault, since it doesn't know if a keyboard is connected or not but it detects a touchscreen.

I've had a look through and there's no fix for the Chrome issue other than moving to another browser, the only flag you can change to do with the touchscreen makes Chrome ignore all touch input, but that's far from ideal.

I'm a SurfacePro 3 user, it happens with me as well. However as soon as you press a key on the keyboard the on-screen keyboard swiftly goes away. As for the second issue, it's a part of Windows as well. The screen treats your finger as a mouse so wherever you touch on your keyboard the mouse moves there. AFAIK, neither can be removed. I just got used to it.

I've got an SP2 and I don't have your issue with touch inputs moving the mouse, when I change from the keyboard's trackbad to the touch screen it hides my mouse cursor until I touch the trackpad again

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

I should have been clearer, the on-screen keyboard is a part of Windows, but it appearing whenever you go to enter text is Chrome's fault, since it doesn't know if a keyboard is connected or not but it detects a touchscreen.

I've had a look through and there's no fix for the Chrome issue other than moving to another browser, the only flag you can change to do with the touchscreen makes Chrome ignore all touch input, but that's far from ideal.

I've got an SP2 and I don't have your issue with touch inputs moving the mouse, when I change from the keyboard's trackbad to the touch screen it hides my mouse cursor until I touch the trackpad again

This is what happens to us as well, but the mouse follows where you touched - is what I was trying to say.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

This is what happens to us as well, but the mouse follows where you touched - is what I was trying to say.

Hello guys,

- Mexxim -

Have you tried this?   http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToDisableTheOnScreenTouchKeyboardInWindows8.aspx         "You can either right click and "Stop" or you can double-click and change it from "Automatic" startup to "Manual."

If this post helped you, mark it as solved and give it a like - Always like seeing when someones issue has been solved. :)

Have you tried this?   http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToDisableTheOnScreenTouchKeyboardInWindows8.aspx         "You can either right click and "Stop" or you can double-click and change it from "Automatic" startup to "Manual."

yep this worked fine for me. Thanks for that mate!

It also occurs when reading .pdf or .doc files. But not always...

My System: AsRock Z77 Extreme4-m, Intel Core i5 2500K @4 Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, ASUS GTX 970(4GB)

1 TB of SSD Storage, BeQuiet Pure Power 730W PSU - All stuffed in a Corsair Obsidian 350D