Adding a ssd to current build, need some help

Nolo70986

So I've gotten my ssd and I want to add it to my existing build but I dont really know what to do with the storage on my hdd, I would be fine wiping it if I didnt have 150Kbp/s internet speed and 552Gbs worth of games. So my question is, could I get an external hdd and transfer all the data to that, then wipe the internal hdd after I have the ssd installed with Windows on it and hdd in, could I go through the external hard drive and transfer all the games over? Or would I run into these problems?:

1. Couldn't install Windows on the ssd in the first place since it would technically be installed on the external hdd

2. The steam games (in order to run) have to have that old version of windows that was on my hdd 

Note: I have 522Gbs of games and only 128Gb ssd

Any solutions?

Alot of USB sticks?

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

xD could but I dont really want to spend 100$+ on usb :]

Wipe everything thats not needed on the old hard drive . Then use the built-in archiving feature in steam . Group game archives dont make a single one with all the games it'll bug out windows . Like 3-4 games is recommended per file.

Remove HDD , put only ssd , install windows connect hdd , copy files on ssd , format HDD ,install games back on hdd

Edit : Wait , just saw the note :( . You'll need some external storage then sorry

Wipe everything thats not needed on the old hard drive . Then use the built-in archiving feature in steam . Group game archives dont make a single one with all the games it'll bug out windows . Like 3-4 games is recommended per file.

Remove HDD , put only ssd , install windows connect hdd , copy files on ssd , format HDD ,install games back on hdd

Edit : Wait , just saw the note :( . You'll need some external storage then sorry

So a 1tb external hdd would work right?

Sure , just google how to archive steam games , don't just drag and drop the steam folder

Sure , just google how to archive steam games , don't just drag and drop the steam folder

Okay, will do, thanks :D

So I've gotten my ssd and I want to add it to my existing build but I dont really know what to do with the storage on my hdd, I would be fine wiping it if I didnt have 150Kbp/s internet speed and 552Gbs worth of games. So my question is, could I get an external hdd and transfer all the data to that, then wipe the internal hdd after I have the ssd installed with Windows on it and hdd in, could I go through the external hard drive and transfer all the games over? Or would I run into these problems?:

1. Couldn't install Windows on the ssd in the first place since it would technically be installed on the external hdd

2. The steam games (in order to run) have to have that old version of windows that was on my hdd 

Note: I have 522Gbs of games and only 128Gb ssd

Any solutions?

Hey Nolo70986,

Have you tried having both drives in your system, installing Windows on the SSD and configuring the HDD as a slave drive just to use it as a data drive? This way you can keep both and only need to reinstall your games (would you need to download all of them again or you can reinstall them with the current files that you already have?).

Otherwise I believe Steam has a backup option where it allows you to switch the OS and keep the games without downloading any new content. Look into that, I may e mistaken. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/