Microsoft fried my motherboard? changed my windows?

graneth

I'm typing this out on my phone so it'll be short and sweet.

Specs:

8pro w/media center (upgraded to 8.1)
Mobo:

Asus cm1831 motherboard ( board from a cm1831 desktop)
Cpu:

fx-6350
Gpu:

gets 450 (placeholder**)
Ram:

g.skill(F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL) (2x4gb, underclocked to 1600) got better stuff because was upgrading eventually.
PSU:

overkill, but it once ran SLI: rosewill xtreme 950w [the black chromey one]
Storage:

1x Kingston hyper X ssd 120gb
1x 1tb wd hdd, think it's the 1002faex one, would check but on a train lol.

So, to start things off, I'm on the phone with Asus, got a ticket going, and MS is just giving me absurd bullshit runaround.

I'm mostly wondering of the how, rather than a fix, as it's borked anyways.

Story:
I was upgrading! Yay!
But not yet.

I'd ordered me a boxing day r9 290x, as I took my old 580, and threw a watercolor on it ( g10 kraken bracket, thermaltake water 2.0 performer) and gave it to my boyfriend for Christmas replacing the 450 I was using ( borrowed as placeholder so could at least internet lol).
Getting ready for the new card, as my windows was getting bogged down a bit anyways, and I'd had tons of different graphics drivers in my slut of a PC, id decided a fresh start would rock.

Obviously a bad idea considering the outcome, but I decided to just use the Win8 built in reset function since i didn't want to faff about with going win8 pro> add media center, upgrade to 8.1 again.

I backed up important junk manually, into my secondary HDD, and hit go.

Did it's thing, upon completing I was left with win. 8.1N and a dead network nic.

Gave it the good old college try, tethered my phone for net, downloaded every possible driver for the board, nothing.

After the 2nd restart it hung on post, so I cleared my CMOS, fixed the hang.
Installed windows 7 to continue debugging, cause I couldn't install 8pro since I didn't have my original key, three upgraded one as it was replaced by it.

After about 3 more hours of trying drivers, workarounds, querying, it just kinda stopped.
D.E.D.
Would stay on for about 10 mins, then die, that's it's current behavior.

All my other components are completely fine, tested in other mobo.
Replaced the broken one with an m97a r2.0
Everything up and rubbing no problems whatsoever.

There was no change in the hardware during the process.
The 450 was installed about a week prior, and the system used to sustain a 580 no problem.
All I did was hit the reset button, aaaaaand it flopped.

"Everybody do the flop!"

Can you still boot into your BIOS? if you can the mobo is not "Fried". 

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

"Everybody do the flop!"

Its pretty hard for a OS to cause hardware failure, but I think your motherboard died purely out of coincidence. I just hope that your RMA process isn't too painful lol.

Why didnt you just Download the drivers to a USB from another computer and then plug the USB in to your computer >.> 

and it flopped? So no power to the MB, Broken PSU or what?

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

QFT

His Profile says male 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Can you still boot into your BIOS? if you can the mobo is not "Fried". 

It only does last the 10 mins before dying even in the bios now, just fails. After it does fail I end up having to clear the CMOS to get back in to the bios again

Your boyfriend?

You're gay?

because no girls are on this forum, they are a mythical creature.

I don't think this is realy special nowadays...and i don't think your comment will really help him figure out what happened with his pc.

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I find it cute, just saying :) But maybe your profile pic is persuading me.

And?

Why didnt you just Download the drivers to a USB from another computer and then plug the USB in to your computer >.> 

and it flopped? So no power to the MB, Broken PSU or what?

Power works fine, just no networking via onboard network nic.

Used my phone for net to get the drivers as I couldn't find my flash drive. Think I left it at the BF's house

I find it cute, just saying :) But maybe your profile pic is persuading me.

I'm glad you like it :3 it's my favorite icon. 

Socute

Try booting into linux. 
You say it stays on for about 10 minutes? 

Make a bootable linux USB or CD and boot to that. 

Try updating the BIOS. 

As for why, if it IS dead, it certainly was not because of re installing windows. 
IF it is dead, it was for some other reason and it was just a really silly coincidence.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I'm still confused as to why (Microsoft won't give me any possibilities as to why) that it would have given me a copy of 8.1N in the first place seeing as how I'd initially went 8 pro>8pro w/mc > 8.1pro w/mc

Try booting into linux. 

You say it stays on for about 10 minutes? 

Make a bootable linux USB or CD and boot to that. 

Try updating the BIOS. 

As for why, if it IS dead, it certainly was not because of re installing windows. 

IF it is dead, it was for some other reason and it was just a really silly coincidence.

I'llI'll try Linux, see what it has to say, but had managed to update the bios through the software Asus gives out for within windows bios flashing.

Sounds like you upgraded the GPU the one with a huge tdp and your PSU gave up to me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

try the linux thing it might be the whole issue. try the power supply with something else

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Sounds like you upgraded the GPU the one with a huge tdp and your PSU gave up to me.

Yet it handled a gtx 580 before, and a 480 before that (450 was only a placeholder), as well, on the new motherboard, it handles the same system, with the 290x already installed.

As I'd mentioned, this occurred before I'd changed any hardware.

Yet it handled a gtx 580 before, and a 480 before that (450 was only a placeholder), as well, on the new motherboard, it handles the same system, with the 290x already installed.

As I'd mentioned, this occurred before I'd changed any hardware.

In that case its time to start eliminating variables. Unplug everything non essential so all PCIe except one GPU, all HDDs except your main one, any optical drives and all USBs except mouse and keyboard. Fire her up and see if she outlasts the 10 mins.

If you really want to strip it down entirely and rebuild it back on the motherboard box outside the case, excessive but makes life infinity easier.

Have you checked your temps? Its also possible its shutting down cause GPU or CPU is overheating.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'll try benching it, already tried with just the sad boot drive, keyboard, and mouse using the integrated graphics from the motherboard.

I'll be able to provide more information / test results in the next day or 2. 

At work currently, so I'm away from my rig.

I'll have to find a way to test it again without having to take apart the rebuilt one.

I'll try benching it, already tried with just the sad boot drive, keyboard, and mouse using the integrated graphics from the motherboard.

I'll be able to provide more information / test results in the next day or 2. 

At work currently, so I'm away from my rig.

I'll have to find a way to test it again without having to take apart the rebuilt one.

Cool, your a clever girl :)

Defo check CPU & GPU temps, I remember when I had an 8350, I didn't tighten up the hyper 212 properly and it overheated and shut down. I had to reset CMOS before it'd boot again.

This is why xbox ones and ps4's are selling. 

You're an ass.

If you have nothing helpful to say, don't say anything. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Ended up taking it back apart to test the old board again, temps were done 28c on the cpu, with 32c on the GPU. So I dunno

Wasn't really expecting anything out if it anyways, Microsoft still won't respond to my queries, and I'm working on the RMA with Asus, even if they won't replace it, I still want to send it to them so they can at maybe tell me what happened.

I'm still stumped as to why the reset windows option had changed my  8pro w/mc (that had been upgraded to 8.1 pro w/m,) to 8.1N

and when I called in, that they said my key was only for a 15 day trial of media center edition(8.0) after being activated feb 2013