Go SLI and 4790k or 4690 without SLI

Alim
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

I think I'll go that way, but is sli is really worth it? It needs bigger case, PSU and board. I'm concerned about that dual 970 will perform worse than single 1070.

the performance difference between the gen of GPUs tends to be around 10-20%

your daul 970 will last at least 2-3 years before you need to upgrade

you only concern is if your games support SLi, if not you are stuck with one GPU power

if you worry about SLi now, get the GTX980 and call it a day

wait till the next GPU comes out and decide to add another GPU or upgrade to the single next gen card

I'm doing some final tweaks to my build (finally) and just got that SLI capability and unlocked 4790k are pretty expensive things. Both require some more powerful PSU (650W min), bigger case and Noctua d15 like cooler. 

Are they worth extra 250$ (Big case +80$, PSU +50$, Cooler +100$)? So I'm between Asus MSI H97M + 4690 or Z97M-PLUS, Z97-A or Z97X-SLI + 4790k. 

Using Tapatalk

how about 4690K + SLi?

the i5 is good to power dual GPUs down the road

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4690K And  SLI

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

If you are investing in Devils Canyon then you might as well pay for an unlocked model.

4970k + SLI

There's 20$ difference (in my city) between 4790k and 4690k (while 4670 is priced normally), so I'm sticking to 4790k or 4670 (to save up)

I'm not buying 2 GPUs for now, sorry for confusion. It's about buying second gtx 970 later as upgrade or just replacing it with GTX1170 or whatever nvidia will have in 2016-17?

Using Tapatalk

There's 20$ difference (in my city) between 4790k and 4690k (while 4670 is priced normally), so I'm sticking to 4790k or 4670 (to save up)

I'm not buying 2 GPUs for now, sorry for confusion. It's about buying second gtx 970 later as upgrade or just replacing it with GTX1170 or whatever nvidia will have in 2016-17?

oh lol

then pick the i7 with SLi board

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

oh lol

then pick the i7 with SLi board

I think I'll go that way, but is sli is really worth it? It needs bigger case, PSU and board. I'm concerned about that dual 970 will perform worse than single 1070.

Using Tapatalk

the performance difference between the gen of GPUs tends to be around 10-20%

your daul 970 will last at least 2-3 years before you need to upgrade

you only concern is if your games support SLi, if not you are stuck with one GPU power

if you worry about SLi now, get the GTX980 and call it a day

wait till the next GPU comes out and decide to add another GPU or upgrade to the single next gen card