Headset or Headphone / Mic / Soundcard for ~$300

sherman9800

My Corsair Vengeance 1500 have been running well but Im looking to upgrade since the mic is dying and want something with better sound quality.

I listen to a lot of music and game frequently so all sound aspects are important to me. 

I've heard a lot of good things about the Cloud HyperX but not sure how good they really are. Do they need a decent amp/ soundcard to sound good as my onboard sound isnt great.

Im also looking at the sennheiser game series but dont have any experience with them.

I have been debating on whether to get a Blue Yeti mic but not sure if its best for being close to my mechanical keyboard and only a few feet away from my PC. Would the background noise even in cardioid setting be high?

I have been looking at some sony headphones and sennheiser as well for stand alone headphones. 

I really prefer not to have a clip on mic, either a stand alone mic with separate headphone with amp for both or a headset.

Looking to spend around $300 for it all, can maybe spend a bit more but thats pushing it for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Clouds don't need an amp but it can help it sound 'better'.

Blue Yeti's are pretty huge. What would you be using it for?

Distance between your face, the keyboard, and the mic will always make a big impact on background noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I use Sennheiser HD 558's with a replacement cable and a mod mic. Performs better than anything else I have tried for around $200.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

If you're looking to game, a modmic would probably be preferable to a desktop mic.

I'd say a modmic and an open headphone, HD 518 from Sennhieser perhaps. No need to go overboard here.

Unlikely unless there are problems with the onboard. Even then it probably wouldn't do more than increase maximum volume.

Blue Yeti's are pretty huge. What would you be using it for?

Distance between your face, the keyboard, and the mic will always make a big impact on background noise.

I would have the mic maybe 5 inches from my keyboard and just a few more inches from my mouth. My PC would be another 1-2 feet away. I will eventually go for a near silent build in my case. If I did get the Cloud I'd prefer an amp or soundcard instead of my built in. Have any suggestions for a headset amp?

If you're looking to game, a modmic would probably be preferable to a desktop mic.

I'd say a modmic and an open headphone, HD 518 from Sennhieser perhaps. No need to go overboard here.

Unlikely unless there are problems with the onboard. Even then it probably wouldn't do more than increase maximum volume.

The HD 518 dont look too bad to me. is a modmic really that good? I know its posted all the time but can you post a sound check test so I can hear for myself?

The Sonys look to be great and Ive had good luck with sony audio products but Id prefer ordering the 1R from a reputable source and the 1A is so new its gonna be hard to find for less than $300 by itself.

I would have the mic maybe 5 inches from my keyboard and just a few more inches from my mouth. My PC would be another 1-2 feet away. I will eventually go for a near silent build in my case. If I did get the Cloud I'd prefer an amp or soundcard instead of my built in. Have any suggestions for a headset amp?

The HD 518 dont look too bad to me. is a modmic really that good? I know its posted all the time but can you post a sound check test so I can hear for myself?

The Sonys look to be great and Ive had good luck with sony audio products but Id prefer ordering the 1R from a reputable source and the 1A is so new its gonna be hard to find for less than $300 by itself.

It's difficult to not pick up keyboard noise if it's between you and the mic. Something like the modmic would be more suitable if background noise is a concern.

There really isn't a need for the amp.

Mic test files are in the description:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The HD 518 dont look too bad to me. is a modmic really that good? I know its posted all the time but can you post a sound check test so I can hear for myself.

It's good for what it is, a mic that turns any headphone into a headset. Plus, it gets them mic as close to your mouth and as far away from sources of noise as possible, such as your keyboard.