Running cable through house?

justintech16
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

Well if you ran another coaxial cable line to your room and hooked up another modem that would require a 2nd internet plan (unless your ISP allows more than one modem) which would mean twice the price per month.

I'd go with a Cat5e cable as they are rather cheap and will help prevent interference.

Hello.

I would like to switch my computer from a wireless connection to a wired one. I have been using the Asus z87 Pro's included wifi adapter to connect to the internet. However, I would like something a little more stable and faster (And a Hackintosh doesn't play well with wifi adapters like mine).

We get internet access through our cable company. So not DSL. Not Fiber. But Cable.

Our current layout is having cable come out into my parents' office where it connects to a modem. Then to a wireless router, which I am using now.

My room is about 30ish feet (10 meters) away and 2 walls away.

My question is:   would it be better to get a big roll of cat5 and run it through the attic and directly into my computer OR would it be better to run cable through the attic into my room where I would have my own modem and then plug into my computer?

Thanks

Well if you ran another coaxial cable line to your room and hooked up another modem that would require a 2nd internet plan (unless your ISP allows more than one modem) which would mean twice the price per month.

I'd go with a Cat5e cable as they are rather cheap and will help prevent interference.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

big roll of cat5 seems like a better option to me, you don't have to buy a new router for it.

Hmmm. Yes, True. Ok.

Is there any difference in speed between the two options?

Oh, and I don't know if it matters here, but I use a vpn as well.

Hmmm. Yes, True. Ok.

Is there any difference in speed between the two options?

Oh, and I don't know if it matters here, but I use a vpn as well.

no the loss of packets is negligible in a real world environment even if it were a 100ft cable

Oh. Poop. Didn't think about that.

Awesome guys. Thanks for the quick responses!

Cat5 it is, then.

Also depending on your situation, you may wanna just go ahead and run Cat6. Typically the cost difference is just a few dollars, and then it will be ready for future networking upgrades too. Normally, doing in-wall wiring is a pain in the butt, so the less times you have to the better. 

Also depending on your situation, you may wanna just go ahead and run Cat6. Typically the cost difference is just a few dollars, and then it will be ready for future networking upgrades too. Normally, doing in-wall wiring is a pain in the butt, so the less times you have to the better. 

Thanks. I have also started looking into that as well.

Another option is using a powerline, With 2 adapters one by the router and another were the PC is is enough (along with 2 small lan cables to connect the router to the first adapter and another to connect the second adapter to the PC).

You have powerline adapters that allow for 1200mbps using the electrical wiring of your house.

No cables will run through the house and you get a wired solution :D

So that you get the idea here's one option:

http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-1200+

Finally a post I have some knowledge on! Alright so i currently have Cable as well (COX) if you are curious and while my desk and rig are upstairs, the cable comes in downstairs all the way across the house. Down there I have a modem as well as a router, then I ran a cat5 cable through the wall and up into the laundry room (I have a little cutout panel for things like coaxial cable connections) where it connects to another router; then finally I ran another cable from it through the attic into my room where I have another router hooked up to my computer.

The modem is some cheap COX base thing;

the first router is an Apple AirPort Extreme mb763 http://www.techspot.com/products/routers/apple-airport-extreme-base-station-2009-mb763.13558

the second router is a Netgear WNR1000 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNR1000.aspx

the last router is a Netgear WNDR3400 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNDR3400.aspx

and the cabling I used was two basic 100' cat5e cables

My wired connection is almost the exact same when plugged into my WNDR3400 as it is when directly in the first router; so any theory of signal loss is non existent. 

I've never had any problems with it, and I suggest this method if you are willing to go for some trial and error with feeding the wire through the walls.

Regardless of what you decide, I hope it all works out!

Finally a post I have some knowledge on! Alright so i currently have Cable as well (COX) if you are curious and while my desk and rig are upstairs, the cable comes in downstairs all the way across the house. Down there I have a modem as well as a router, then I ran a cat5 cable through the wall and up into the laundry room (I have a little cutout panel for things like coaxial cable connections) where it connects to another router; then finally I ran another cable from it through the attic into my room where I have another router hooked up to my computer.

The modem is some cheap COX base thing;

the first router is an Apple AirPort Extreme mb763 http://www.techspot.com/products/routers/apple-airport-extreme-base-station-2009-mb763.13558

the second router is a Netgear WNR1000 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNR1000.aspx

the last router is a Netgear WNDR3400 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNDR3400.aspx

and the cabling I used was two basic 100' cat5e cables

My wired connection is almost the exact same when plugged into my WNDR3400 as it is when directly in the first router; so any theory of signal loss is non existent. 

I've never had any problems with it, and I suggest this method if you are willing to go for some trial and error with feeding the wire through the walls.

Regardless of what you decide, I hope it all works out!

Cool! I have a Motorola modem and the Netgear WNDR3400v2. Although I have a single story house, I have similar plans for what you said. Except I plan to use Cat6 (couple bucks more, seems worth it). It's nice to know that you have had success with your setup. I am more confident now!

I actually plan to maybe upgrade my router as well. I'm looking at a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. It's AC is nice, but I'm more interested in the gigabit LAN ports to have quicker access to other computers on the network (have plans for an HTPC). And it just seems like a beefier router overall.

Another option is using a powerline, With 2 adapters one by the router and another were the PC is is enough (along with 2 small lan cables to connect the router to the first adapter and another to connect the second adapter to the PC).

You have powerline adapters that allow for 1200mbps using the electrical wiring of your house.

No cables will run through the house and you get a wired solution :D

So that you get the idea here's one option:

http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-1200+

I actually did try powerline. I wasn't very happy with the results.

My speeds seemed slower than my wifi adapter. And the internet seemed to cut out sometimes.

It's very odd.

Nothing wrong with some good old CAT5e/6.  Just look up some tutorials on the wiring diagrams for terminating into wall connectors.  Then, connect from their into your PC.  Just a hole in the wall would look awful, and frankly silly.