A program for this stuff.

Maheshvara

I'm not sure if this is a correct sub forum, but here i go.

So, does anyone of you guys know some kind of a program for simulating stuff O.o Let's say i want to build a bed/desk (which in foreseeable future i do want to do), is there a program where i can simulate how weight will work on it O.o If it will hold up... I don't know how to correctly explain it, but something that will simulate will it work or not, so i wouldn't have to build it and find out the hard way...

Also if possible for it to be:

- Able to run on my laptop (specs in @Silver Knight profile)

- Have intuitive UI

- Be able to save my plans

I do not plan to do any professional work with this, atleast not now, only to play around with some plans in my head :)

AutoCAD

auto cad, but its not the simplest to use.

Hmmm, can my laptop handle it O.o

@Toddwjp - I think my cousin uses it (or something CAD) for her College (she's studying Architecture), will see with her, but i think it should be THAT hard to use O.o

Here's a blueprint I did for my fan setup in my Rig.

The blueprints in 2D are easy to make.

IfGV2uW.png

Here's a blueprint I did for my fan setup in my Rig.

The blueprints in 2D are easy to make.

IfGV2uW.png

Yeah, but can it simulate for me, for example: Can a desk handle 100kg's? Simulation is very, very important to me

Yeah, but can it simulate for me, for example: Can a desk handle 100kg's? Simulation is very, very important to me

You must check the desk specs.

if you build the desk yourself, use your logic. if you use 2x4 or 2x6, onlien websites can calculate for you how much it can handle until it breaks.

You must check the desk specs.

if you build the desk yourself, use your logic. if you use 2x4 or 2x6, onlien websites can calculate for you how much it can handle until it breaks.

That was only an example, it's not only a desk that i want to make :D I also want to make a lot of other stuff :) A case, some ornaments, weapons (wooden), shields... Also, can i do all of that in 3D O.o

Also, when i save those "sketches" i make, how easy is it to back them up to my USB drive(s) O.o For example i design a desk, and save it, can i just copy it :)

That was only an example, it's not only a desk that i want to make :D I also want to make a lot of other stuff :) A case, some ornaments, weapons (wooden), shields... Also, can i do all of that in 3D O.o

Also, when i save those "sketches" i make, how easy is it to back them up to my USB drive(s) O.o For example i design a desk, and save it, can i just copy it :)

its easier to do the maths for static objects then simulating them.

if you want to work in 3D i suggest you get a better Laptop. Also you use Revit instead of AutoCAD.

Every Blueprint you can save/export and "saves as" PDF.. Easy to copy on USB Stick.

its easier to do the maths for static objects then simulating them.

So, is there no such program O.o

if you want to work in 3D i suggest you get a better Laptop. Also you use Revit instead of AutoCAD.

Every Blueprint you can save/export and "saves as" PDF.. Easy to copy on USB Stick.

Believe me, i am in the process of negotiating a newer piece of hardware...

Will look into Revit, thanks :)

If you want a bed that holds 100Kg, build one you think will hold 300Kg.  Then you are golden =D.

So, is there no such program O.o

Solidworks has simulation functionality. The industry standard program is Ansys. You will probably won't be able to use either of them. And even if you get a result out of the software, there is no guarantee that the results are correct (simulations are not quick and easy). Depending on your design (simplicity of structure), it may be easier to work it out with pen and paper.

I don't have time to work this out but put up a schematic of the your design and others may be able to help (or guess if it will work or not).

You will need to show:

• full dimensions of the desk (with notes on how desk is supported, i.e. wall mounted or free standing)
  • material desk is made from
  • the loads (weight) being applied with the location of the loads

Here is some examples of simple designs broken down into varying supports and loads

solutions.figa2.gif

If you want a bed that holds 100Kg, build one you think will hold 300Kg.  Then you are golden =D.

And this ^^ is pretty much the way to do it. The technical term is called "factor of safety".

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700