Nikon D3200 + 2 lenses or Canon T5i + 1 lens

I am looking into budget *sort of DSLR cameras. I am very familiar with manual control, and I don't mind a less inventive experience. I was looking at a few different kits. It was between a Nikon D3200 with 2 lenses and a bag for 500 dollars, or a Canon T5i and one lens for 600. The t5i has features and in my opinion, a nicer interface. Some other options are the Sony A58 with one lens and a Nikon 3300 with one lens that I have the money for. The use cases are landscape photography (I love them macros), product photography for a family member's website, and general pictures. I am coming from my Sony Xperia Z2 and a Canon SX20is on which I never use the 20x optical zoom.

Edit: I am in Canada, US prices are not applicable, the T5i is considerably more expensive here, about 1.75x if I were to get a similar kit for the D3200.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

I would get the T5i, just because I have it personally and love it. It takes great quality photos and the kit lens isn't that bad. (If that is the 1 lens). 

T5i 

I <3 mine and get the 18-135 as it can be great for you till you can get more lenses (normal+telephoto all in one)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I would get the T5i, just because I have it personally and love it. It takes great quality photos and the kit lens isn't that bad. (If that is the 1 lens). 

What would be its down sides? I am really particular about some things that may be less usual, I absolutely hate it when the camera is slow to use, and I hate cameras that produce any grain sub 400 ISO or so.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

T5i 

I <3 mine and get the 18-135 as it can be great for you till you can get more lenses (normal+telephoto all in one)

I know its not only specs, but...

post-45390-0-10730800-1420252725_thumb.p

I know its not only specs, but...

attachicon.gifCanon and Nikon.PNG

The differences you will actually see are very minimal, and if you're doing video, canon is the way to go

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

What would be its down sides? I am really particular about some things that may be less usual, I absolutely hate it when the camera is slow to use, and I hate cameras that produce any grain sub 400 ISO or so.

Its not slow by any means, and it doesn't produce grainy photos unless you really crank up the ISO. (I don't go over 1600 anyways though) 

The differences you will actually see are very minimal, and if you're doing video, canon is the way to go

I am not doing video, if I do, it is minimal. I do not record any videos to share on the internet and don't plan to for the foreseeable future. If the photo quality is better on the Nikon, that would be my choice unless it is worse in another way. Keep in mind that the Nikon comes with more accessories and is 100 dollars cheaper.

Its not slow by any means, and it doesn't produce grainy photos unless you really crank up the ISO. (I don't go over 1600 anyways though) 

Interesting, I will keep it in consideration.

Why not get the Canon 100D (SL1)? It's basically a smaller, cheaper and a lot more portable T5i but without a swivel screen and mono built in mics instead of stereo ones. It also comes with Canon's new STM lens which offers quicker and near silent AF. The T5i is overpriced right now IMO.

I just got mine today and I'm loving so far.

I got my t5i for only $450 on Digitalrev.com, but it's a gamble whether or not you'll get charged duty fees

Why not get the Canon 100D (SL1)? It's basically a smaller, cheaper and a lot more portable T5i but without a swivel screen and mono built in mics instead of stereo ones. It also comes with Canon's new STM lens which offers quicker and near silent AF. The T5i is overpriced right now IMO.

I just got mine today and I'm loving so far.

I wouldn't know if its overpriced, but I could get a D3300 from Nikon for around the same price (checked MSRP on Canon site) and have a potentially higher end experience.

Brand new? And was it with the kit or just the body? It's $600 (body only) and $900 w/ kit on Amazon right now. I don't see how that's justifiable

Brand new (checked for fingerprints etc.) and the 18-135mm lens was like $250

Brand new? And was it with the kit or just the body? It's $600 (body only) and $900 w/ kit on Amazon right now. I don't see how that's justifiable

Keep in mind currencies, if you are in another country, that could be the difference. 

In terms of the best bang for your buck, the D3200 w/ 2 lenses is 1st and then the D3300. T5i would be my last choice. 

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to spend more money if necessary. I will probably go with the D3200 unless something is a lot better on the T5i. Another option would be a Sony a58 with one lens for 500 CAD, but that is, judged by reviews and specs more of a speed focused camera, and less about image quality.

You're right. It's only $700 CAD on Amazon.

I am not planning to buy from Amazon, there are a few stores here in Vancouver that have excellent prices compared to MSRP and other stores. Best Buy has good prices, but about 20-30 higher than in smaller, independent or small chain stores.

A58 is a great camera. Only issue is you're sorta limited with A-mount lenses unless you buy the $200 converter. 

T5i has faster continuous shooting and better low light sensitivity. It also features a flipout LCD screen while the D3200 does not. T5i has a lot more featuers, but it also a few hundred dollars more expensive. If you think you'll be interested in any of these, get the 5i. If not, get the D3200 or 3300. Their image quality is similar, though the Canon is known for having more grain in shadowy areas of pictures like crevices and cracks. 

I don't think you can really go wrong with either though. The lens is more important than the camera body.

I don't plan on buying 3rd party lenses for a while, for a few months, I'll stay with the included until I fell that I need an upgrade. I for some reason just hate any grain, so the T5i is less of an option. A flip out display is not something I am too interested in. I am not sure about features like filters, I always use manual, I like to control the aperture and shutter speed so I don't need fancy auto modes. In terms of the adapter, I am OK with spending money on it if its necessary. I really like things like in-camera HDR, that is a selling point for me. And I also like the value of an included bag as the one I have will only fit the body.

Well, neither the D3200 or 3300 have built in HDR as far as I know, so maybe the T5i is the better choice.

Does the A58 have it? I don't mind paying for a lens adapter, if I buy a third party lens, I'll probably do it in the 200-300 range, so I don't need to strap a telescope to my camera.

Yep, it has it. There are also some really good Minolta lenses for the Sony SLT cameras.

Interesting, I will certainly consider it. The t5i is quite expensive, I can afford it, but for that much money, I could get the A58, a nice bag, a big SD card (mine is only 16gb), and some nice accessories. I could do the same for the D3200, but its less necessary.

It's totally up to you. The A58 is very capable according to a lot of semi-professional photographers but the T5i offers a bit more out of the box. 

Excellent, you have been very helpful. Thanks for your help, enjoy whatever you will do next.

I would stick with either Nikon or Canon.  The lens options aren't really there with the other brands.  I would personally go Nikon for pure photography.  

Canon doesn't have a 35mm prime for the crop sensor bodies.  I love my 35 1.8g on my d5300.

If you plan on doing video then I would go with Canon. 

Look at what you want to do and look at the lens' that are out and affordable for you now and in the future.  And go with the brand that has what you need now and into the future.

You don't want to buy a sony and a lens or two only to realize a few years down the line you cant grow any more and have to switch brands.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101