Fibre Optic over Satellite Dish?

Ok, I live in the middle of Ireland where internet connection isn't to good but about 10.5km from me is a town with fibre optic(with speeds of about 100Mbps). Sooo I was wondering if I could link two Satellite Dishes together and have a Fibre Optic connection at one end and my house connection at another, Soo the big question, would it be faster than my 24Mbps if I went through all that?

Yeah I know, but surly using a fibre optic cable at one end should increase the speed?

Network speed is as fast as your slowest link between two points. If the bottleneck is your satellite connection you will only have speeds that fast.

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" style="text-decoration:none;!important" href="https://twitter.com/MrWizardLTT"><span style="color:#99ccff;">@MrWizardLTT</span></a>

Yeah I know, but surly using a fibre optic cable at one end should increase the speed?

Bouncing the connection will add a massive fucking ping and won't be worth it.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

No it won't work, not only is sattelite very slow in comparison, it's a ton of work, I've looked into it trust me ;)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

So it would be slower? I have no intentions to do it. A friend of mine had said it would be a cool idea if it could happen, just for the fun of it, so we ended up in a big conversation on the topic :)

You can link two sites together using wireless transceivers, https://store.ubnt.com/airfiber.html.

That is an example of one of those systems, misleading name though :(.

You can't use satellite dishes together because the LNBs (Low Noise Boxes) don't handle transmission of microwaves like a satellite in orbit.

Comb it with a brick

So it would be slower? I have no intentions to do it. A friend of mine had said it would be a cool idea if it could happen, just for the fun of it, so we ended up in a big conversation on the topic :)

slow as shit

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

To add on to my comment, you could do something since you stated that you're about 10.5km away from a fiber optic equipped city. If your ISP provides FTTH (fiber to the home) you could ask them to install the line required (or find out if it already exists) to link your house via a fiber cable to the city's grid. This option is most likely extremely expensive for the average person, though. It's only an option because fiber cables are able to run much greater distances than copper.

You can link two sites together using wireless transceivers, https://store.ubnt.com/airfiber.html.

That is an example of one of those systems, misleading name though :(.

You can't use satellite dishes together because the LNBs (Low Noise Boxes) don't handle transmission of microwaves like a satellite in orbit.

You still need two end points. His ISP, or a service that offers air fiber via pointing transceivers at eachother, would need to provide this. As far as I'm aware the air fiber stuff from ubiquiti is meant more for buisinesses that want to link up long range wireless access points or linking long distance networks together.

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" style="text-decoration:none;!important" href="https://twitter.com/MrWizardLTT"><span style="color:#99ccff;">@MrWizardLTT</span></a>

Another alternative is line bonding. But again it's not going to be cheap but it will be cheaper than dedicated FTTH just for you alone.

I looked into all of this myself as I too live in a very rural area. My options:

1. Use 3G of which there's terrible coverage
  2. Opt for expensive satellite broadband - impractical as I work form home over RDP a great deal (ping is ~1000ms)
  3. Bonded copper lines - expensive as BT would have to install another phone line + line rental and service charges
  4. Private contract FTTH - impractically expensive
  5. Rally the locals to campaign for fibre - locals are all around ~70 and don't know what a PC is (technologically underdeveloped/ignorant)
  6. Resign to suffering ~1Mbps down/40Kbps up

Just 3 miles away they have fibre to the cabinet.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.