Ensuring the Best Quality of Music

ChasingPluto

I'm going to preface with with the fact that I'm probably one of the farthest things from an audiophile but I can appreciate good music. Back around Black Friday I purchased the Sennheiser HD598s. I use a MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) for my general media consumption. While I know I don't need an amp, what I should be doing to ensure that I'm getting the highest quality of audio? I guess its worth noting I get my music primarily in disc form with the second most frequent being iTunes and lastly Google Play.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

MAke sure your sound files are high quality. I would go for 320kbps MP3s generally, FLACS if you don't need storage space :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

If you listen to this all the time it will ensure you are listening to the best quality of music out there and ever known to mankind.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

320kb/s 48khz mp3s are already of a higher quality than you can actually perceive ^^ flac (or in general, lossless) files are only truly useful to audio editors.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you listen to this all the time it will ensure you are listening to the best quality of music out there and ever known to mankind.

From where is that clip? LOLZ

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

From where is that clip? LOLZ

It is from Uranus.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Use ".flac" files

Since he is using iTunes he would actually need to use ".alac" files, as there is still no flac support in itunes.

At least 192kbps mp3 files or losless (.flac)... (at least for me)

fine-tune your EQ settings... save as many profiles as you need for this one...

I may have gotten lost in other threads but thanks a ton guys!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Since he is using iTunes he would actually need to use ".alac" files, as there is still no flac support in itunes.

Yeah, that ^

Steve

I don't usually say people "you can't hear the differenct between FLAC & Mp3".
Some people can do it and they know it. Just try it for your self. Just do an ABX test and see if you can pass the test. If you passed it, think how hard was it for you to pick up the differences and deside if the much larger file (.FLAC) is worth it. 

Also, I heard that Macs have good sound cards so... that's pretty much it for you. If you want better audio just upgrade your headphones or speakers. 

But always remember: If you can't hear the difference between audio sources and audio equipment, you don't need them. (at least for now :P )

I don't usually say people "you can't hear the differenct between FLAC & Mp3".

Some people can do it and they know it. Just try it for your self. Just do an ABX test and see if you can pass the test. If you passed it, think how hard was it for you to pick up the differences and deside if the much larger file (.FLAC) is worth it. 

Also, I heard that Macs have good sound cards so... that's pretty much it for you. If you want better audio just upgrade your headphones or speakers. 

But always remember: If you can't hear the difference between audio sources and audio equipment, you don't need them. (at least for now :P )

Even for those that can hear the difference, the difference is so small as to contribute very little to the music listening experience.

Even for those that can hear the difference, the difference is so small as to contribute very little to the music listening experience.

Yes, indeed. They have hard time compairing two songs even with the ABX testing, which allows you to switch songs back and forth easily. 

It's very hard to just listen to one song and understand if it's Mp3 or FLAC. I personally can't, but some people can find flaws in Mp3s. 

Misleading, he should be using ALAC, but ALAC is held in m4a just like AAC is. Just say FLAC or ALAC. The file extension is sometimes misleading like using OGG when you mean Vorbis, since it can also hold Opus and Theora video.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh