GTX970 question

j72088

I dont know what brand to get... can you tell me what brand to get and the pros/cons of each?

All 970's perform within the margins of each other.

Just pick the one that aesthetically pleases you and fits your PC's color scheme.

Fan speed curve can be adjusted through software

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

I dont know what brand to get... can you tell me what brand to get and the pros/cons of each?

Roughly all the same... Different coolers, some overclock better than others. Theres Reference,EVGA,Gigabyte,MSI,Galax,ASUS. The Gigabyte and Galax one over clocks the best imo, the Galax and Reference card looks the best tho. They're both alluminum or metal.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

The con of buying an EVGA GTX 970 is that they cheaped out on the cooler for it using something from another series of cards.  Do not give them your money.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The con of buying an EVGA GTX 970 is that they cheaped out on the cooler for it using something from another series of cards.  Do not give them your money.

Source?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

With certain versions they did cheap out and in that pic there it doesn't show me that they didn't do it with this cooler either.  Bottom line is they did it once with the GTX 900 series and once is too much so I'd rather give money to other companies and I think others would too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/2h32xb/the_acx_cooler_used_on_the_evga_gtx_970_appears/

.. and even Linus made mention of this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/51862-gtx-970-question

http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1834613.html

Just regular people commenting on what EVGA did in the above links.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The wrong cards to buy:

1. Zotac's. The regular model has cooling problems, and the AMP! versions are bad overclockers; it's hard to OC, and they don't go as far - they are also super expensive.
  2. Asus Strix. With one of the worst customer services, the card is also outperformed in cooling, silence and raw fps by the MSI Gaming 4g. And what's worse: it costs more.
  3. EVGA -insert random naming scheme here-. I find their coolers too ugly to look at, but that's me. Besides, they tend to cost more than other brands, because you are paying extra money for the best customer service ever and a bigger warranty. But that's somewhat pointless, if your card doesn't break, you'll never use such features at all! The only reason to pick this brand is when you plan to overvolt or watercool your card; EVGA is the only one that provides warranty in those cenarios.
  4. Gigabyte G1 Gaming. The card is awesome! However, there is a card with just as much performance and lower price: the Gigabyte Windforce.
  5. Any blower type cooler, unless you are going for an SLI config.

So what I actually recommend is one of these 2. Get the cheapest, or pick one if both are at the same price. They are:

• Gigabyte Windforce: Best temperatures out there, and slightly higher OCing than the second option.
  • MSI Gaming 4G: Quietest card, still OCs like a beast (but not as much as the GA card). It's also shorter, if your case can't fit the Windforce coolers.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I would go Asus Strix or EVGA FTW.

Asus Strix - very quiet

EVGA FTW - good overclocking, some people have coil whine at high load, EVGA has excellent customer support

EVGA Superclocked - not had good experiences with them (my Superclocked card could only OC about 6% past factory speed)

Gigabyte - great temps, though the 3x coolers are heavy and sag a bit, and many report coil whine

Zotac - cheap but coil whine and not much overclocking

MSI Gaming - not a fan... seems to not overclock as well as Asus, Gigabyte or EVGA cards, but is relatively quiet.... just not as good as the oldschool Twin Frozr in terms of temps.

Looking at benches it seems that Gigabyte Gaming G1 and EVGA FTW cards are at the front of the pack in the GTX 970s and 980s.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

MSI Gaming - not a fan... seems to not overclock as well as Asus, Gigabyte or EVGA cards, but is relatively quiet.... just not as good as the oldschool Twin Frozr in terms of temps.

I'm sorry, but this information is just plain wrong. Every single review I see out there manages to OC the MSI higher than the Asus. And it's not "relatively quiet", it's THE quietest card, tied/above the Asus Strix.

OC is slightly lower than Gigabyte and some EVGAs, though. Just remember it's a lot cheaper as well.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

With certain versions they did cheap out and in that pic there it doesn't show me that they didn't do it with this cooler either.  Bottom line is they did it once with the GTX 900 series and once is too much so I'd rather give money to other companies and I think others would too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/2h32xb/the_acx_cooler_used_on_the_evga_gtx_970_appears/

.. and even Linus made mention of this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/51862-gtx-970-question

http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1834613.html

Just regular people commenting on what EVGA did in the above links.

those reviews are correct, but didnt they debunk the third heatpipe as a faux\passive pipe? bit-techs picture proves it because it shows that the pipe is not sealed.

also, these observations were made almost right when they released the cards. and if im not mistaken they did take the ACX cooler from the 780 and reuse it.

didnt Gigabyte do the same with the windforce, and ASUS with its DirectCUII? all manufactures reuse their tech to save on initial costs.

they did rework the heatpipe issue

shp.png

Currect PC Specs: http://valid.x86.fr/wxkcd4

Asus Strix

I have it and it is silent when not in game or GPU intensive application, and it does overclock nicely.

Was hoping to pick up one of the 8GB variants but seems they have been delayed. :(

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/65114/20141231/gtx-980-and-970-8gb-release-date.htm

Uh... are you a content creator that ACTUALLY can make use of extra VRam? Because if you're just a gamer, 8gb VRam = waste of money. In fact, even for such people, there are better cards for the job, other than the 900 series.

I'm sorry, but this information is just plain wrong. Every single review I see out there manages to OC the MSI higher than the Asus. And it's not "relatively quiet", it's THE quietest card, tied/above the Asus Strix.

OC is slightly lower than Gigabyte and some EVGAs, though. Just remember it's a lot cheaper as well.

woops not sure why I included Asus in that. Not great OCers from what I recall, just good noise levels.

And in terms of noise it seems I didn't really look into it. Looks like Gigabyte G1, Strix and MSI Gaming all have about the same noise levels.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_strix_review,10.html

Seems the gaming card is better than the Strix card then

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Uh... are you a content creator that ACTUALLY can make use of extra VRam? Because if you're just a gamer, 8gb VRam = waste of money. In fact, even for such people, there are better cards for the job, other than the 900 series.

No, not a content creator. Yes I can make use of more than 4GB VRAM. If you know of some alternatives with equal or better performance, equal or less power consumption and equal or greater performance then I would be interested.

The EVGA cooling system was re-designed on the latest SCC release.