I am tired of everyone claiming "6 cores do nothing for games," and tired of hearing "you only need 8 gigs of ram."

Go to solution Solved by Imabigmac,

Okay I get it. But what about the extra cost? Is the extra cost truly worth it? What kind of FPS boost are we talking about ?    

The  "quad core and 8GB is all you need" statement is valid for a lot of users. Some will obviously need more. The fact though that some people will by that statement as though it was one of ten commandments for a Christian, is quite honestly sad. It just reflects that some are incapable of reading between the lines. 

And people talk about Intel vs AMD threads exploding.... 

1. Intel processors will get stronger as well (because of DX12 and raw performance).

2. By the time DX12 is mainstream, FX will be obsolete compared to other CPU's (Zen, Skylake, etc).

Skylake i5's will likely be better than 8350's in every program, because they're already getting pretty close, even in things like rendering (which I think is within <10% regarding 4690k).

Hopefully Zen will bring AMD back into the CPU world because i3's/i5's are getting stronger and FX is just sitting there.

Obviously this is all speculation and things I've heard on the forum though, so I could be wrong.

Well, my friend. That's something we agree on. I also really, really hope Zen is revolutionary. I'll tell you what, though: If AMD try a dastardly, slimy trick like they did with the 9590 (trying to sell it for £600), and sell Zen for sky high prices, it'll take me off them.

You can even 3-way SLI with the i7-5820K so no need to spend 200$ almost more. So if people wsnt to step up and do not need alot of PCIE-Lanes or do not have the money they should go for the i7-5820K.

Thats my opinion on your posts last part.

Ops you are right. Gamers only need the 5820k for 3-way sli. The 5930k is only needed if you 4-way sli and we all know that that is dumb :)

thanks for the correction.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

so quit your preaching that "You only need a 4 core, and 8 gigs is more than enough," until you try a 6 core, with more than 8 gigs of ram.

But remember this is what AMD trying to advertise that their FX-8xxx CPUs is the "best and everything" even though we know their 8 cores are super weak. But for RAM yes you do need more than 8GB, recent games gives me memory leak.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

i believe its a music player, pretty damn good. prefer it over itunes however itunes already has all my **** on it so i dont feel like moving over.

All you do for foobar is launch it, go to settings and choose the folder that has all your itunes music. It just reads from the file, so there's no moving anything over, just telling foobar where your music directory is. Takes 30 seconds.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

All you do for foobar is launch it, go to settings and choose the folder that has all your itunes music. It just reads from the file, so there's no moving anything over, just telling foobar where your music directory is. Takes 30 seconds.

you dont udnerstand.

it takes me about an hour to boot up.

my harddrive cant do anything. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

you dont udnerstand.

it takes me about an hour to boot up.

my harddrive cant do anything. xD

But it doesn't have to load it all in to foobar or anything. literally you just start foobar, click settings, and choose what folder your music is in. It doesn't need to transfer them or anything, so it would be just as fast as itunes. only downside to foobar is that if you want a browser like iTunes has to pick by artist, album etc. you need to download facets plugin. I have my foobar looking pretty much identical to classic iTunes :)

FB1BHK0.png

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

But it doesn't have to load it all in to foobar or anything. literally you just start foobar, click settings, and choose what folder your music is in. It doesn't need to transfer them or anything, so it would be just as fast as itunes. only downside to foobar is that if you want a browser like iTunes has to pick by artist, album etc. you need to download facets plugin. I have my foobar looking pretty much identical to classic iTunes :)

-snip-

what i mean is anything that makes my harddrive spin is terrifying.

it makes my laptop surface a stove top.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

When ever I game I never see more than 1-3 cores being used, and that is two physical cores, not my HT. As well, I went from a AMD Phenom ii x6 1090T OC at 4GHz to a i7-4790k OC at 4.7GHz and saw maby a 1-5FPS increase. (Im a video editor so i got it for its processing power) As for ram, Games never use up more than 4-6GB for me.

The two cpus are different, all cpus even two cpus from the same wafer will act differently, some will have better single core performance than the others, as well your talking about 2 cpus that are years apart, so the x6 will definitely have better performance in 1-3 core usage even at the same clock. when you are comparing cpus that are years apart, clock speeds don't matter, its architecture that matters. 

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

what i mean is anything that makes my harddrive spin is terrifying.

it makes my laptop surface a stove top.

D:

I don't know.

As someone who jumped from an i7 2600k to an i7 4930k I saw maybe 2FPS differences.

It all depends on what you have in the background.

If you are JUST gaming there is no need for 6 core cpu and 16 gigs of memory.

Seriously guys, shut up.

I popped in my x6, and immediately saw higher FPS in planetside 2, Garry's mod, CS:GO, and Crysis when compared to my x4 at the same clock speed. (both are @ 4Ghz)

As for ram? I dont know about you, but I was constantly getting low memory messages with 8 gigs, and I've since installed 4 more.

The point is, These things do help.

so quit your preaching that "You only need a 4 core, and 8 gigs is more than enough," until you try a 6 core, with more than 8 gigs of ram.

If I see any of these kinds of posts in this thread, I will personally bust in your home and strangle you.

thank you.

/rant.

Had FX 6300 @ 4.5 Ghz and 4GB RAM (the game was using 2.7/2.9GB RAM and after loading all the continents , would freeze) ; i was getting 30/40FPS most of the time (more if not much was around me / even as low as 20FPS in big a$$ fights) -

Now , with 8350 @ 4.3Ghz(the cooler ain't enough for this bad boy) and 8GB of ram i can run everything i need (programs+PlanetSide 2)and still have 1GB ram left while playing at a smoot/stable-ish 40-50-60FPS (but still , when it drops to 30 .. it drops to 30) .

My premis is that if you can run PlanetSide 2 in a big fight with 40or30 FPS on high , you can run any game at 40 / 60 FPS if not more on High/Ultra settings .

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB