Missing space on SSD

vlado88
Go to solution Solved by trem77,

The only thing I can think off : 

Go to system properties , system protection, click on your drive, configure , turn off system protection , and see how much is freed.

Also type in search : %temp% check how much is there.

Do you have more than one User ?

Good luck :P

I have 120GB SSD, with windows 7 installed and few programs, plus one game (Guild wars 2) which is about 20GB.

I started missing some free space. Before that happen I had about 20GB free, which was reasonable. I uninstalled some programs that I didn't need anymore - Microsoft visual studio, SQL server, and bunch of appliances that go with them which come about 15-20GB of space (I don't really know much about the programs, I had them installed for educational purpose).

Now after uninstalling them my free space went down from 20GB to 10GB...

I though CCleaner would help, but it freed only 1GB.

I used SpaceSniffer to try and see what is taking all the space, but I couldn't find anything.

Here's a screenshot of it:

Untitled.jpg

So any idea what's taking about 50GB of space and how to fix it?

Page file?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I have no idea what that is, though its some window's file.

Your page file has probs increased in size.

Do you use Hibernation? If not you can save 6gb by disabling it with the command (powercfg /h off). 

How big is your WinSxS folder?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I have no idea what that is, though its some window's file.

Your page file is what your computer uses when it runs out of RAM its like a virtual RAM but much slower so not all that great, I suggest you dont turn it all off as some programs like to use it but instead tweak its size to 512-1024mb.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Maybe windirstat would show something else?

Woo!

Your page file has probs increased in size.

Do you use Hibernation? If not you can save 6gb by disabling it with the command (powercfg /h off). 

How big is your WinSxS folder?

I don't know what Hibernation is, or where is WinSxS folder?

Edit: nvm found the folder, its 9.7 GB

Maybe windirstat would show something else?

It showed this:

sad.jpg

Again...I started having the problem after I uninstalled bunch of stuff. Could I have uninstalled something that I shouldn't have?

It showed this:

Again...I started having the problem after I uninstalled bunch of stuff. Could I have uninstalled something that I shouldn't have?

what does your drive say under preferences in windows?

Woo!

what does your drive say under preferences in windows?

Do you mean this?

Untitled.jpg

hibernate and pagefile seem rather high eating roughly 20 gb in total. Also, how old is the ssd?

- Alston

hibernate and pagefile seem rather high eating roughly 20 gb in total. Also, how old is the ssd?

Its 3-4 months old.

The problem isn't that big page fails or any other file that you see...

Thing is that with those files being accounted for I have 70GB of used space, its not them I need help with. Its the "free space" that I should have, that its missing.

After the 70GB of used space I should have 50GB free, but I only have 10GB.

And whats even weirder is that I had 20GB free before uninstalling about 20GB of programs, and now I have 10GB free.

If you are using kaspersky antivirus, I've seen it eating all the free space with logs. 

Was thinking it might be older drive trim issues. Sorry that's all I got :/

Dumb question but did you empty the recycle bin?

- Alston

Have you rebooted since you uninstalled the programs?
Also, Open run and type %appdata% and hit enter. 
Look around in there for huge folders. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

If you are using kaspersky antivirus, I've seen it eating all the free space with logs. 

I use avast. If that was the problem, I should have been able to see those logs as "used space".

Was thinking it might be older drive trim issues. Sorry that's all I got :/

Dumb question but did you empty the recycle bin?

I did ofc :), and like i said earlier, I used CCleaner too

Have you rebooted since you uninstalled the programs?

Also, Open run and type %appdata% and hit enter. 

Look around in there for huge folders. 

I have rebooted few times.

The appdata folders have total of 1GB

I have rebooted few times.

The appdata folders have total of 1GB

Okay... 

Re install the programs you got rid of, and then use Revo uninstaller to remove them again.

iirc mvs leaves a bunch of junk that you may actually want, if you intend on re installing it. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Okay... 

Re install the programs you got rid of, and then use Revo uninstaller to remove them again.

iirc mvs leaves a bunch of junk that you may actually want, if you intend on re installing it. 

Honestly that takes forever, it will be easier to reinstall windows. And yea mvs left tons of stuff that I had to uninstall 1 by 1. But i dont think i'll ever need them, i use my pc only for gaming.

Your program files x86  is 22 gb , that's a lot check it up.

Your program files x86  is 22 gb , that's a lot check it up.

I have 1 game installed 20GB,

Again like I said, you will not find the problem in the screenshots I posted, I don't need to free the space that is shown as used. The problem is that there are about 40GB of unallocated free space.

Also thanks for all the replies, keep them coming :)

then why are you posting those screenshots? can you see that unallocated space? try expanding your C: with that unallocated space using Disk Management? and a screenshot of disk management please

.. and my name is spelled f n i ((xh) like G) a

then why are you posting those screenshots? can you see that unallocated space? try expanding your C: with that unallocated space using Disk Management? and a screenshot of disk management please

I don't think the problem is too much being understood.

Windows says 100 gigs are being used, while other programs say 70 gigs are used. That's the problem (I think).

Woo!

Posted them because I was sure some1 will ask for them and I wanted to give as much information as possible, although seeing that people got confused from them it was probably a mistake.

Here's the ss from Disk Management:

Untitled.jpg

I don't think the problem is too much being understood.

Windows says 100 gigs are being used, while other programs say 70 gigs are used. That's the problem (I think).

Yea that's the problem. Sorry I should have explained better.