So I RMA'd my 7950... And got a R9 280

Go to solution Solved by -iSynthesis,

So after about 3 weeks of waiting for GPU to be delivered to me, after my Gigabyte windforce HD 7950 died, I got a R9 280 as my "replacement".

It is an Asus direct CU II version, now I have only one question. As the GPU seems to be brand new, the box hasn't been opened, I was wondering if I should sell it. I could get quite large amount off a GTX 970 if I did that. About 250€ is the lowest price for a new 280 from what I have seen.

Would it make sense to sell the replacement now, or should I just wait until this one also dies, then buy something? I know that is the most reasonable choice, I just want to know if being unreasonable is any good in controlled amounts.

Selling it for a new price will be hard though, do whatever you need if you were happy with the 7950 then keep the 280 and if you think you need an upgrade sell it.

So after about 3 weeks of waiting for GPU to be delivered to me, after my Gigabyte windforce HD 7950 died, I got a R9 280 as my "replacement".

It is an Asus direct CU II version, now I have only one question. As the GPU seems to be brand new, the box hasn't been opened, I was wondering if I should sell it. I could get quite large amount off a GTX 970 if I did that. About 250€ is the lowest price for a new 280 from what I have seen.

Would it make sense to sell the replacement now, or should I just wait until this one also dies, then buy something? I know that is the most reasonable choice, I just want to know if being unreasonable is any good in controlled amounts.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Asus direct CU II has bad cooling on AMD cards from what I hear... but the R9 280 == 7950. If you wanna sell it and get a 970 as it is indeed brand new, go right ahead. It's going to blow your old card out of the water I'll say. Alternately, a R9 290 would be a fantastic choice from the Red Team if you want an upgrade.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

whoah really? makes sense because they dont make 7950s anymore. time to makes sure mine are under warranty, and overvolt for days

Asus direct CU II has bad cooling on AMD cards from what I hear... but the R9 280 == 7950. If you wanna sell it and get a 970 as it is indeed brand new, go right ahead. It's going to blow your old card out of the water I'll say. Alternately, a R9 290 would be a fantastic choice from the Red Team if you want an upgrade.

Sell it and get a 970 or an MSI Lightning 290x.

whoah really? makes sense because they dont make 7950s anymore. time to makes sure mine are under warranty, and overvolt for days

I just rechecked the store, apparently they sell R9 270X's for as high as 250€, at a minimum of 240€ for a 270X.

A 280 identical to mine, goes for 199€. WTF, how does the lower tier card cost so much more? EDIT: NWM, I just saw a 270X for 195€... 

At best I can get 190€, still plenty, but quite a bit less than I expected. Even with the most inexpensive 970 in the store I would have to pay 140€ for the "upgrade"...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

It seems that, price wise I should definitely go for a R9 290X, I could get one of those for the price of a 970.

EDIT: I think I am just going to keep the 280 for now, when I upgrade I might as well get a new system entirely, I am already worried about my mobo, thus I should save money incase it decides to split. I think it has 2 months of warranty remaining at best..

Spoiler

Selling it for a new price will be hard though, do whatever you need if you were happy with the 7950 then keep the 280 and if you think you need an upgrade sell it.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I know I don't need the upgrade, my 7950 was doing just fine, only a few games that made it struggle. I was only the age of my 7950, BSOD's and the like, that got me wanting an Nvidia GPU.

I wont be upgrading for a while, I really, really hope that this GPU will last the 3 years it has warranty. Speaking of which, since it is a new GPU, it does have a "new" warranty as well, right?

If it was the same old GPU then it would make sense to only have 1 year and 2 months of warranty, but it is new, so it should have 3 years right?

Spoiler

I know I don't need the upgrade, my 7950 was doing just fine, only a few games that made it struggle. I was only the age of my 7950, BSOD's and the like, that got me wanting an Nvidia GPU.

I wont be upgrading for a while, I really, really hope that this GPU will last the 3 years it has warranty. Speaking of which, since it is a new GPU, it does have a "new" warranty as well, right?

If it was the same old GPU then it would make sense to only have 1 year and 2 months of warranty, but it is new, so it should have 3 years right?

I actually had a lot of trouble with my 760 and 580, more than with 6 years of amd cards before :D. The 580 keeps underclocking to half the clock speed and so did my old 760 and i dont know the reason...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG