Room Setup for Building a PC...

Hi, I've just ordered around 90% of my PC! What I am still missing is a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse and some other small things.

Anyway, since this is going to be my first build. It WILL leave an impression on my parents, since I had to get their permission first to build this PC. Trust me, my parents are very strict and it took me a LONG time to convince them. But I succeeded! :P

Back to the main point. I want to setup up my room to be prepared to build my PC! However, the flooring is a carpet :( And I can't take it off. Should I fill the flooring with newspaper? I just got my Graphic Card, SSD, Hard Drive and Optical Drive. Since I want to make sure they are not damaged, I would like to open the product. But I am concerned about static electricity.

Should I get an Anti-Static Wrist Strap and Mat first?

Should I move all of the teddies that I have (teddies are cuddly to hug...ok? Don't judge me! :P) to another room?

Fill the flooring with newspaper?

Or am I just overthinking?

Any suggestions welcomed!

i wear a anti static strap. and and did it on carpet but i did waer antistatic gloves. and they wear actually comftorable and had grip so they wont hard to work with,

a mat is nice but Meh rather spend the money somewere else but if you build pcss all day i think you should get one

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

I have worked multiple times on a carpet without any problems.

Maybe work somewhere where you don´t have a carpet...?

I cleaned the kitchen counter and worked there, no anti-static nothing apart from the Mobo box and it all worked out fine.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Do you have a large enough table or counter?

I build mine on our vinyl floor or a low table that I have... I use several screwdrivers, an xacto knife, a wire cutter, several velcro ties, and several nylon cable ties or twist ties... I also keep 2 microfiber cloths and a box of tissues near...

If you have no choice but to build on the floor, keep the parts in their boxes until needed and don't make any unnecessary movements on the floor...

Keep yourself grounded by touching something metal every few minutes or before and after you touch any of the components... just to be sure...

I guess you worry too much about your build
I did my last build on my bed, while I just touched my heater sometimes to ground myself. Worked just fine, still not recommended :P

I wore thongs while I built my PC but keep touching your case

i wear a anti static strap. and and did it on carpet but i did waer antistatic gloves. and they wear actually comftorable and had grip so they wont hard to work with,

a mat is nice but Meh rather spend the money somewere else but if you build pcss all day i think you should get one

I have worked multiple times on a carpet without any problems.

Maybe work somewhere where you don´t have a carpet...?

I cleaned the kitchen counter and worked there, no anti-static nothing apart from the Mobo box and it all worked out fine.

Do you have a large enough table or counter?

I build mine on our vinyl floor or a low table that I have... I use several screwdrivers, an xacto knife, a wire cutter, several velcro ties, and several nylon cable ties or twist ties... I also keep 2 microfiber cloths and a box of tissues near...

If you have no choice but to build on the floor, keep the parts in their boxes until needed and don't make any unnecessary movements on the floor...

Keep yourself grounded by touching something metal every few minutes or before and after you touch any of the components... just to be sure...

I guess you worry too much about your build
I did my last build on my bed, while I just touched my heater sometimes to ground myself. Worked just fine, still not recommended  :P

I wore thongs while I built my PC but keep touching your case

Hmmm, thanks for the advice!

Fortunately, I won't be building directly on the carpet...I will be building on a fairly spacious table which is on a carpet!

Unfortunately, I can't build downstairs due to certain circumstances which is the only place with wooden flooring...

P.S - By the way, I hoped some of you actually read my whole post!  :angry: I CAN'T use the motherboard and I CAN'T touch my case right now!  :( Haha...I only just got the graphic card, the ssd, the hard drive and the optical drive... :P

I also seem to forgot to tell you one thing. The reason I want to open some of the parts prematurely is because I want to confirm that the parts at least look like they will work :D. The case can take up to a month to get here... :(

Hmmm, thanks for the advice!

Fortunately, I won't be building directly on the carpet...I will be building on a fairly spacious table which is on a carpet!

Unfortunately, I can't build downstairs due to certain circumstances which is the only place with wooden flooring...

P.S - By the way, I hoped some of you actually read my whole post!  :angry: I CAN'T use the motherboard and I CAN'T touch my case right now!  :( Haha...I only just got the graphic card, the ssd, the hard drive and the optical drive... :P

I also seem to forgot to tell you one thing. The reason I want to open some of the parts prematurely is because I want to confirm that the parts at least look like they will work :D. The case can take up to a month to get here... :(

No point in opening the rest of the parts if you don't have a case....

You will have no idea if they "look like they will work" as they are just electrical components. Just be patient, you'll only end up braking stuff if not.

No point in opening the rest of the parts if you don't have a case....

You will have no idea if they "look like they will work" as they are just electrical components. Just be patient, you'll only end up braking stuff if not.

By saying it will 'look like they work' is possible...by seeing if they just have any shipping damage or if they got broken in half or something like that.

:wacko:

By saying it will 'look like they work' is possible...by seeing if they just have any shipping damage or if they got broken in half or something like that.

:wacko:

Highly doubt that would happen, you still shouldn't open them, just wait for your case.

Highly doubt that would happen, you still shouldn't open them, just wait for your case.

I will open it. I know. I am rebellious :P

But instead of saying you shouldn't open it. Please do actually answer some of my questions...

You're not being particular helpful in any ways.

And please do NOT answer back with something like, 'you shouldn't open it'!

Also, you don't need a case to ground yourself. I at the least know that. If you thought you need a case to ground yourself then you are terribly wrong...

But instead of saying you shouldn't open it. Please do actually answer some of my questions...

Also, you don't need a case to ground yourself. I at the least know that. If you thought you need a case to ground yourself then you are terribly wrong...

What's the point of asking for advice then totally disregarding it?

You have been told not to bother opening the stuff as you will not be able to tell if it will work merely by looking, you only increase the likliehood of physical damage.

But if you won't be told go ahead just ensure you touch a radiator or somesuch before touching any of your components but really just have a bit patience and leave your components untouched and still in all their protective wrapping.

He WAS being helpful in saying "don't open things", it's just not what you wanted to hear.

A list of answers in case you accuse me of not being helpful as well

1) No you do not need an anti static strap or mat as you won't be opening your components

2) Why would you even consider moving your 'teddies' you will not be opening your componets.

3) Covering your floor will not help in any way, especially since you are not opening your components

4) Yes you are definitely overthinking  (SSDs are immune(ish) to static as are HDDs and optical drives).

The 'only' things that you (TINY) need to worry(FSVOWorry) about with static are the MoBo processor and RAM and even then only until they are properly installed.

Nowadays people seem to worry about static as if it was some unavoidable bogie man, but (especially in the UK [humidity] and as long as you don't do silly things like tousle your hair, scuff about on carpet, unnecessary handling [like opening to see "if it will work"] etc ) static is just not the problem it is considered to be .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Wait hold on, you seem to think that I think I need a case to ground myself? I've actually built my computer and didn't ask any ridiculous questions like "Should I remove my teddies?" Before you begin to question my intelligence I feel you should have the need to question your own.

What's the point of asking for advice then totally disregarding it?

You have been told not to bother opening the stuff as you will not be able to tell if it will work merely by looking, you only increase the likliehood of physical damage.

But if you won't be told go ahead just ensure you touch a radiator or somesuch before touching any of your components but really just have a bit patience and leave your components untouched and still in all their protective wrapping.

He WAS being helpful in saying "don't open things", it's just not what you wanted to hear.

A list of answers in case you accuse me of not being helpful as well

1) No you do not need an anti static strap or mat as you won't be opening your components

2) Why would you even consider moving your 'teddies' you will not be opening your componets.

3) Covering your floor will not help in any way, especially since you are not opening your components

4) Yes you are definitely overthinking  (SSDs are immune(ish) to static as are HDDs and optical drives).

The 'only' things that you (TINY) need to worry(FSVOWorry) about with static are the MoBo processor and RAM and even then only until they are properly installed.

Nowadays people seem to worry about static as if it was some unavoidable bogie man, but (especially in the UK [humidity] and as long as you don't do silly things like tousle your hair, scuff about on carpet, unnecessary handling [like opening to see "if it will work"] etc ) static is just not the problem it is considered to be .

Lol, I've like how you answered my questions, not being sarcastic by the way. The reason i am asking so many questions is to just give myself a peace of mind. As I'm not really good in the Science :( The reason I am slightly impatient right now is because the case can take up to a month to get sent...If any parts ARE  a defect then it might be a bit of a problem returning them, since amazon needs the product to get returned in 30 days. :( 

I was willing to be patient by waiting for around a month for the case and power supply.

Wait hold on, you seem to think that I think I need a case to ground myself? I've actually built my computer and didn't ask any ridiculous questions like "Should I remove my teddies?" Before you begin to question my intelligence I feel you should have the need to question your own.

I do question my intelligence, which is why I am asking for people's advice. I am sorry though, I didn't mean the post to be a insult in anyway :( I just said 'if'. Just in case you actually thought that, sorry for questioning your intelligence.

Like I said earlier. I am scared of getting a defect part and being unable to return it. Which is why I am asking for help. I am asking all this ridiculous questions so that I know that I can be almost perfectly safe when building the PC. Sorry if it somehow offended you on the way how i speak, its just that I want answers to my questions, and not an alternative :(

Let's just stop this useless argument and say that its my fault for getting irritated, and get on to the main topic again :)