Last comments before I buy

RockiLocky

Hi guys,

So my friends is going to buy this PC tomorrow (ordering the components) and he wants to know if it is a good build, before he gets it.

His budget is 2600-2700$ and he lives in the USA

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($317.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($297.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($219.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  ($75.00) 
Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor  ($359.00) 
Total: $2048.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 07:43 EST-0500

NOTE: He is going to get the ASUS PB248Q for 359$, but I couldn't find it on PCP so I had to take another ASUS Monitor and just changed the Price

Post the BBCode instead of Markup.

What's the system being used for?

Why such a large psu? Is he planning on triple sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What is he using his PC for? If gaming with multiple monitors, I would probably try to get another 980.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

-

Ditch the 980, those things are overpriced through the roof. Get a 970, or even 2 R9 290s (they would be cheaper and much, much faster than a 980).

Aside from that, what is his use scenario? What will he use it for? Because if it's only gaming, the motherboard is WAAAAAAY overkill, and the i7 is unnecessary too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would get 2 290s if I were him. I would even go for a 5820k, and ditch some of the more expensive parts (mobo, psu).

Post the BBCode instead of Markup.

What's the system being used for?

Why such a large psu? Is he planning on triple sli?

1.) Edited

2.) Mainly gaming and some Content creation and alot of Programming with Visual Studio 2013

3.) He was planning to, but cause of no support for tripple he is going to use 750W forgot to do that will edit it fast.

Btw he was deciding between the top one and this build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($581.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($474.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($299.99 @ Directron) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black 6GB Superclocked Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $2540.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 07:41 EST-0500

He got the TITAN Black and I told him to go for this build as he got the Money and use the TITAN Black for 1-2years more it will be fine for him and then go 3x980 if he wants or the TI version or new TITAN version if he really wants to.
What do you think

1.) Edited

2.) Mainly gaming and some Content creation and alot of Programming with Visual Studio 2013

3.) He was planning to, but cause of no support for tripple he is going to use 750W forgot to do that will edit it fast.

Btw he was deciding between the top one and this build:

He got the TITAN Black and I told him to go for this build as he got the Money and use the TITAN Black for 1-2years more it will be fine for him and then go 3x980 if he wants or the TI version or new TITAN version if he really wants to.
What do you think

What kind of content creation? What other programs are being used?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mainly gaming and some Content creation and alot of Programming with Visual Studio 2013

There's no way he needs x99 or a titan black for that. Nor does he need a maximus VII.

Take the z97 build, swap the 980 for 2 R9 290s, change the motherboard to an asus z97-a and you'll get the perfect build for him.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($204.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($348.99 @ NCIX US) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($348.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $2603.70

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 07:46 EST-0500

This is what I think is probably the best.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

What kind of content creation? What other programs are being used?

He is using photoshop and Blender I think it is called.

I do not know how intense he just told me he is doing Content creation could be he is doing it as a hobby, but I think he is doing it for part time job.

There's no way he needs x99 or a titan black for that. Nor does he need a maximus VII.

Take the z97 build, swap the 980 for 2 R9 290s, change the motherboard to an asus z97-a and you'll get the perfect build for him.

He already owns the TITAN Black right now

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($204.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2603.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-31 07:46 EST-0500

This is what I think is probably the best.

Will show him that one. Will see what he says.

He is using photoshop and Blender I think it is called.

I do not know how intense he just told me he is doing Content creation could be he is doing it as a hobby, but I think he is doing it for part time job.

What kind of projects is he working on? Can you ask?

If you can give me 5min or so I try to contact him.

He already owns the TITAN Black right now

O.o then what was the point in including a 980 in the original build?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

O.o then what was the point in including a 980 in the original build?

Don't know I told him it is a bad idea to just kinda use the TITAN as a PhysX card would be a waste. It is still a powerfull card and he can be good on gaming with it too for the next 1 year and then decide to go for new TITAN generation or the TI versionsarround

K so he jsut told me he is doing some Artwork for some little companies for advertising and he is also doing some creation in the gaming industrie, like creating models, surrounding and such. Thats the most he told me basicly in fast way.

Don't know I told him it is a bad idea to just kinda use the TITAN as a PhysX card would be a waste. It is still a powerfull card and he can be good on gaming with it too for the next 1 year and then decide to go for new TITAN generation or the TI versionsarround

If he is not going with the Titan anyways, the build I linked was pretty solid, but if he wants to keep it, we should try and redo a build again built around already owning a titan black.

If he is not going with the Titan anyways, the build I linked was pretty solid, but if he wants to keep it, we should try and redo a build again built around already owning a titan black.

would be a waste in my opinion if he throws away or jsut uses it for nothing, it is still pretty good in my opinions.

Why not go with it if he already has it?

Yeah.. the system could be much cheaper.

Why not go with it if he already has it?

Yeah.. the system could be much cheaper.

What would you suggsest told you what he is using it for what would you do?

What would you suggsest told you what he is using it for what would you do?

Something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6zxKxr

would be a waste in my opinion if he throws away or jsut uses it for nothing, it is still pretty good in my opinions.

Selling it would be another idea, throwing away components is not worth it IMO, better try and resell it :)