CPU cleaning

Sigmar

Hello Linustechtips,

I like to make and maintain my systems my systems the best way, so cleaning is one of the maintenance points. Cleaning the dust in these systems is no problem, but thermal compound and other dirt on surfaces(except the pcb's) are a point which I am uncertain about. Since I follow the YouTube channels quite a lot I know LinusTechTips always promote isopropyl alcohol, but since I don't know where to buy it in my country, I'm searching for a substitute. I also work in a car workshop, so I have some cleaning supplies. We also do repainting and the cars need to be completely clean without any residue. We use a product which is freely translated "silicone degreaser". Do you think this product will be a proper cleaning liquid for previous stated parts? Won't it damage my cpu's and other hardware? I'm looking forward to the reply.

P.s. sorry if my English is bad cause it is not my native language

Use any alcohol.. the stronger it it the easier it is to clean the thermal paste. I use 40% one I have at home + micro cloth and it works good.

I actually haven't thought of it yet, but you can use even something like vodka. :lol:聽聽I even googled it, and there were actually some ppl using it. Not that I recommend it, but it seems to work.
I guess even nail polish remover could work. Not sure about that, but I've just seen that some of them also consist out of alcohol. But don't quote me on that :P

Hello Linustechtips,

I like to make and maintain my systems my systems the best way, so cleaning is one of the maintenance points. Cleaning the dust in these systems is no problem, but thermal compound and other dirt on surfaces(except the pcb's) are a point which I am uncertain about. Since I follow the YouTube channels quite a lot I know LinusTechTips always promote isopropyl alcohol, but since I don't know where to buy it in my country, I'm searching for a substitute. I also work in a car workshop, so I have some cleaning supplies. We also do repainting and the cars need to be completely clean without any residue. We use a product which is freely translated "silicone degreaser". Do you think this product will be a proper cleaning liquid for previous stated parts? Won't it damage my cpu's and other hardware? I'm looking forward to the reply.

P.s. sorry if my English is bad cause it is not my native language

Vodka can work. :D

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

I actually haven't thought of it yet, but you can use even something like vodka. :lol:聽聽I even googled it, and there were actually some ppl using it. Not that I recommend it, but it seems to work.

You beat me to it like 2 seconds

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

You could try your local聽pharmacy,聽isopropyl alcohol is also used to clean wounds :)

Ningo:聽Case:NZXT H440 White,Motherboard:MSI MPower Z97,CPU:Intel 4790k,聽Cooler:Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12)GPU:聽MSI聽GTX 970,Memory:12GB Kingston,聽SSD:Samsung EVO 120gb,聽HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB,聽PSU:evga 850 g3.聽

Yeah but the "silicone degreaser" is some impressive stuff and already have it, so can I use it?