R9 290X low fps @guildwars2 frame drops

Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

Guild wars 2 is very CPU intensive and you have a pretty potato CPU for CPU intensive games like GW2 and BF4. You need a good CPU upgrade

Hello everyone!

As i'm writing this i am really desperate

because i recently got an upgrade for my

gaming rig, a sapphire tri-x r9 290x and a evga supernova g2 750. I booted it up and i tried to run guild wars 2. I had normal settings and the fps was 10-30 fps. I know this card can run this game ultra very easily. I tried uninstalling drivers with UDD and reinstalling to the newest driver 4 times.

No improvement whatsoever.

I tried messing with the bios, looking up online, i checked the temperatures, wich were normal too.

Everything seemed completely normal. However, in ccc, during gameplay, the core clock only rose to 870+ but i dont think thats the problem.

Specs:

Cpu: a10-6800k richland

Gpu: r9 290x (previosly i had a hd 7750)

Hard drive: 1TB

PS: evga supernova g2 750

Ram: 8gb

mobo: msi a88x gaming assassins creed edition fm2

Guys i'm really desperate. I dont want to have a 380 euro piece of plastic. HELP!!!

Guild wars 2 is very CPU intensive and you have a pretty potato CPU for CPU intensive games like GW2 and BF4. You need a good CPU upgrade

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

MMO games like Wow and Guild wars 2 is Cpu heavy, i think upgrading the cpu will help you out a lot.

Your CPU is the bottleneck.

Do you guys really think its that bad? What should i upgade into? And how can i check if my gpu is working as it should then

Do you guys really think its that bad? What should i upgade into? And how can i check if my gpu is working as it should then

use Unigine Valley

and download GPU-Z ID

run the benchmark and watch the GPU load

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

use Unigine Valley

and download GPU-Z ID

run the benchmark and watch the GPU load

What kind of score am i looking for from the Valley benchmark?

Get an i5-4690, and a h97 mobo,i suggest from Asus

If you want to overclock get the 4690k and a z97

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

What kind of score am i looking for from the Valley benchmark?

You need to compare rig with similar gpu and see how bad is the score. Also gpu-z id will tell you if the gpu is working hard.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Try an older driver , the new omega drivers are killing my video performance by half (crossfire 7870), ati drivers just suck , just find one that works best with your video card.

Good luck :P

• 2 weeks later...

You need to compare rig with similar gpu and see how bad is the score. Also gpu-z id will tell you if the gpu is working hard.

I got a score of 2285 with an average fps of 54.6 with extreme HD settings.

I think that is pretty good as i tried to compare the score with others.

what do you think?

I got a score of 2285 with an average fps of 54.6 with extreme HD settings.

I think that is pretty good as i tried to compare the score with others.

what do you think?

then it should be ok

then it should be ok

Can you suggest me a new cpu and motherboard upgrade to max out guild wars 2 with the legendary 60fps?

Can you suggest me a new cpu and motherboard upgrade to max out guild wars 2 with the legendary 60fps?

what is your budget?

Intel i5 + a H97 board might do the trick

I really doubt the CPU is at fault, try uninstalling and reinstalling the game if you can.

Guild wars 2 do depend on CPU power

it just like any other MMORPG games

and those games love Intel CPUs

Guild wars 2 do depend on CPU power

it just like any other MMORPG games

and those games love Intel CPUs

Yeah but the A10-6800k should have enough juice drive up the settings and get playable frames at ultra, sure the the GPU is bottlenecked to hell and back but in my opinion there's something else going on.

Yeah but the A10-6800k should have enough juice drive up the settings and get playable frames at ultra, sure the the GPU is bottlenecked to hell and back but in my opinion there's something else going on.

Have you never played online games with high player count before?  The 290X bottleneck, really?  That is insane.  These RPGMMO's always push the limits of the CPU due to the number of human avatars running around together doing crazy human things.

@OP, save your money.  Grab the i5 4690K (or the i7 4790K for 50% more money) and a Z97 motherboard... then never look back. 

GPU bottlenecking...RIDICULOUS.

Have you never played online games with high player count before?  The 290X bottleneck, really?  That is insane.  These RPGMMO's always push the limits of the CPU due to the number of human avatars running around together doing crazy human things.

@OP, save your money.  Grab the i5 4690K (or the i7 4790K for 50% more money) and a Z97 motherboard... then never look back. 

GPU bottlenecking...RIDICULOUS.

Hold on, I didn't say the 290x is a bottleneck I said the GPU is bottlenecked by the APU. But I still stand by my statement that APU OP has should be enough drive up the settings more.

Hold on, I didn't say the 290x is a bottleneck I said the GPU is bottlenecked by the APU. But I still stand by my statement that APU OP has should be enough drive up the settings more.

If the GPU is bottlenecked by the APU, why the hell would you drive up the settings?

As you increase the graphics, you can increase things like polygons per character.  Each polygon, for example, is processed by the CPU and displayed by the GPU for each human/AI character in the scene.  More polygons, more CPU power needed.  That is a generalization, but it is how it works.

No, the APU sucks, sorry.  I have had an AMD (Phenom II X6), and I now have an Intel (i5 3570K).  I was always trying to keep up with the guys on their 920's or i5 2500K's by overclocking.  It was never enough.  You get what you pay for sometimes.

If the GPU is bottlenecked by the APU, why the hell would you drive up the settings?

Even with the APU being a bottleneck it should still be enough to drive up the settings. Especially when OP is getting 10-30 FPS on normal which means something is wrong.

As you increase the graphics, you can increase things like polygons per character.  Each polygon, for example, is processed by the CPU and displayed by the GPU for each human/AI character in the scene.  More polygons, more CPU power needed.  That is a generalization, but it is how it works.

No, the APU sucks, sorry.  I have had an AMD (Phenom II X6), and I now have an Intel (i5 3570K).  I was always trying to keep up with the guys on their 920's or i5 2500K's by overclocking.  It was never enough.  You get what you pay for sometimes.

I understand that but the fact of the matter is it's still a Quad CPU and OP should be getting better performance than what he stated is. Sure he's not going to the same FPS as someone with an Intel i5 or someone with an FX 8350 but he should be getting more than 10-30 FPS on normal settings.

Even with the APU being a bottleneck it should still be enough to drive up the settings. Especially when OP is getting 10-30 FPS on normal which means something is wrong.

I understand that but the fact of the matter is it's still a Quad CPU and OP should be getting better performance than what he stated is. Sure he's not going to the same FPS as someone with an Intel i5 or someone with an FX 8350 but he should be getting more than 10-30 FPS on normal settings.

It would be nice, it being a high clock on a quad core... but the CPU design is just not up to snuff.

It would be nice, it being a high clock on a quad core... but the CPU design is just not up to snuff.

Yeah those APU's are essentially Athlon's with much better integrated graphics but to get 10-30 fps on normal settings in my opinion something weird going on with the game. Maybe GW2 is installed incorrectly and a reinstall might fix it.