Long range desktop adapter for WiFi.

Hexicidal

Hello.

I have a bit of an issue. I'm building a new PC at the moment, and I've almost got anything ready, however I forgot to think about a WiFi desktop adapter for my PC. I need one since it's impossible to route a cable to my room, since I live in the attic, meaning that the router is located two floors down with 2 floors (or more depending on how a WiFi signal spreads in a house). I can't even properly be on my laptop, I have a low signal when I'm there, and it's nearly impossible to Skype call with someone seeing as I disconnect once every while due to signal loss. Hence why, I'm looking for advice on the best desktop adapter to get, and I'm willing to spend money. I've heard of WiFi Range Extenders as well, do they work? And is it smart to get one along side a good WiFi Desktop Adapter as well?

I however live in the Netherlands, so I can't get products that are only available to US Citizens, hopefully this isn't an issue.

Would anyone be kind enough to help me?

EDIT: I've found two cards that are available in my country:

#1: D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter DWA-556 (three antennas)

#2: D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter DWA-566 (two antennas) 

Best Regards,

Hexicidal. 

How hard is it to just run the cable ? You would save yourself a TON of money on top of every other positive thing.

Get a PCI-E card with detachable (rp-sma) antennas, put some higher gain ones on it, if it still drops out then you can look for range extenders. They work, but sometimes they are tricky to set up.

Personally i use this: http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=1683&model=TL-WDN4800 it works for what i need, there are other solutions from Asus, D-Link.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Are you using wireless G? Is there a lot of interference or just weak signal?

I'm sorry to ask you this, but how do I check if I'm using G? And I suppose it's a bit of both, there are a lot of people in my neighborhood using wireless, I have counted around 15 available networks. And it's a weak signal seeing as I have a good signal downstairs, with 50 MB download and 10 - 15 upload (speedtest) and once I go upstairs the signal weakens and I receive high pings. 

How hard is it to just run the cable ? You would save yourself a TON of money on top of every other positive thing.

Well the issue would be that my parents don't want to route the cable upstairs, because it'll take a lot of time and they don't want "messy cables" running trough the living room. I tried to explain them numerous times, but their not listening. So I suppose I'll have to stick to wireless, unfortunately. 

I'm sorry to ask you this, but how do I check if I'm using G? And I suppose it's a bit of both, there are a lot of people in my neighborhood using wireless, I have counted around 15 available networks. And it's a weak signal seeing as I have a good signal downstairs, with 50 MB download and 10 - 15 upload (speedtest) and once I go upstairs the signal weakens and I receive high pings. 

I don't know exactly how you check if you have wireless G or N because I don't know your setup and stuff but wireless G has slower speeds then wireless N but has farther range. If you have your stuff configured at Wireless N consider changing it to G.

I don't know exactly how you check if you have wireless G or N because I don't know your setup and stuff but wireless G has slower speeds then wireless N but has farther range. If you have your stuff configured at Wireless N consider changing it to G.

I checked, I have N. I'll try to find a tutorial on how to change to G.

I checked, I have N. I'll try to find a tutorial on how to change to G.

That might help allot. My internet isn't very fast so i get no performance benefit from using N anyways. =D

Set your router to use "G only" mode.

That might help allot. My internet isn't very fast so i get no performance benefit from using N anyways. =D

Set your router to use "G only" mode.

Any recommendations for a wireless desktop adapter for my desktop? And thank you for both your replies so far.

Any recommendations for a wireless desktop adapter for my desktop? And thank you for both your replies so far.

Personaly I have a older wireless G card that runs off a legacy PCI and ti works just fine btu i don't use it that much unless I move my pc and cant get a wired connection. I don't know of any myself but I will look on google for you.

EDIT: I've found two cards that are available in my country:

#1: D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter DWA-556 (three antennas)

#2: D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter DWA-566 (two antennas) 

Best Regards,

Hexicidal. 

The one I sent you is better.

The one I sent you is better.

Alright, just wondering how are you able to see that it's better? And is it possible to see the possible range with this card?

Thanks again. :D

Alright, just wondering how are you able to see that it's better? And is it possible to see the possible range with this card?

Thanks again. :D

They don't post a cards range as a spec its built into the Wireless g spec. The one I sent you is capable of 5Ghz wireless and the one you listed can only do 2.4Ghz wireless.

They don't post a cards range as a spec its built into the Wireless g spec. The one I sent you is capable of 5Ghz wireless and the one you listed can only do 2.4Ghz wireless.

Ahh, that's a lot better. It's not possible to see the range of that card is it?

Ahh, that's a lot better. It's not possible to see the range of that card is it?

Because it varies a lot, they used to post with routers, but im not so sure anymore.

Get a 2000 mw adapter and a directional antenna. Upgrade to higher gain antennas on your access point, flash DDWRT and make the output power higher.

That's actually not true. You will get lower range if you use the 5GHz band included in 802.11N, but you can also use the 2.4GHz band if you want (2.4GHz penetrates solid objects better than 5GHz).

Actually, the exact opposite of what you said is true. Because 802.11n includes things such as clever exploration of spatial diversity and MIMO antennae, it can get significantly longer range than 802.11g, usually up to about twice the range.

Get a 2000 mw adapter and a directional antenna. Upgrade to higher gain antennas on your access point, flash DDWRT and make the output power higher.

That might actually be illegal, since there are strict laws on how much power you are allowed to send with wireless equipment, especially if it's highly directional. You might want to look into the laws in your country before doing something like this.

That might actually be illegal, since there are strict laws on how much power you are allowed to send with wireless equipment, especially if it's highly directional. You might want to look into the laws in your country before doing something like this.

Yeah, the wifi police are always coming round to check the output of adapters and routers here.

• 2 weeks later...

get a powerline adapter, it ll route all you inter thru your electric wiring and is a lot more consistant than wireless.

you can get a decent kit for 50$ for 500mbps from router to your comp.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I like Alfa network products the best and always recommend them.  See if you can't find the alfa network AWUS036NHA usb wifi adapter. http://www.alfanete.eu/en/alfa-awus036nha.html

It sounds like you need a directional antenna too.  Get something like this http://www.alfanete.eu/en/alfa-apa-m05.html

so that you can point it at your wifi router.

1 Timothy 1:15