Need help deciding on a new keyboard...

hansnothanz

so im upgrading recently my peripherals since there so old and garbage now, i recently upgraded my mouse to a logitech g502 and has been great for me no comlpaints. now im gonna buy a new keyboard and my eyes were set to the corsair K70 RGB but due to here in my country having no stock of it i found that some retailers here sell ducky shine 3, and my concern with the ducky is will the LED's fail over time? because the corsair's rgb LED's are said to be fail proof 

also another question i have is what is better for me? i am a college student that uses ms word a fair bit but also plays some CoD and dota 2 at the same time? i have used my friends razer blackwidow 2014 stealth edition that is said to be similar to cherry mx browns and i find them "ok" to type on, there is a slight yet noticable tactile bump but not much of a click and recentl i typed on cherry mx blues and i liked them but is it just at the start? do you guys get annoyed over time by the clicky sound of the blue's?

so here are my questions:

1.)which is better in terms of physical features, build quality, and long term use. the Corsair K70 RGB or the Ducky shine 3?

2.)are the LED's on the ducky's gonna fail or burn out on some point in time?

3.)which cherry mx switch is suited for me? blue's or brown's?

im also open to other keyboard opinions  :)  

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Mother Board: ASUS P8B75-M LE GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Thermaltake LT-500NL2NL 500W

PERIPHERALS: Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Mouse Pad: Steelseries QCK Headphones: Superlux HD 668B

Nothing is fail proof.

That being said, Ducky's are pretty well known for well-built keyboards and the leds should be fine. 

Blues don't get annoying from what I've been told and experienced myself. It's more of a 'Oh, I'm annoying the people around me' realization if anything.

1. Not sure but they're both great. Corsair wins in features with RBG though.

2. Probably not?

3. Browns are like knocking on wood and blues are like tap dancing with your fingers. It's a bit difficult giving a recommendation on something so subjective but Browns are generally hard to go wrong with.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1. Can't answer. I have the original K70 (non-RGB) and I'm pretty happy. A lot of people on the forums vouch for the Shine 3 though.

2. Can't answer that. Probably more likely to than the RGB but I can't be sure. I'd suggest bumping this thread in a few hours to see if someone with the board will comment.

3. There's a post on here where a guy's made like a quiz for switches. I'd recommend trying both of em (what I did). It'll depend on what you use them for and how you like typing. Some people get annoyed at the double noise you get from bottoming out blues (the click + when the mechanism hits the bottom if you don't manage to stop your stroke partway). I prefer browns over blues because I found the force required to get through the blue's bump resulted in me bottoming out most of the time which isn't as much of an issue with browns. I had no objection to the audible click though. Also, the bump itself feels different entirely, particularly on the rise (only really a concern if you're double tapping or like the double use of 'p' in tapping :P).

EDIT: Found it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255051-what-key-switch-should-i-get-look-here/?p=3493303

are there any issues with the k70? ive seen some people complaining about motherboard compatibility and having a longer boot up time than usual?

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Mother Board: ASUS P8B75-M LE GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Thermaltake LT-500NL2NL 500W

PERIPHERALS: Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Mouse Pad: Steelseries QCK Headphones: Superlux HD 668B

1) corsair, metal construction almost no give ( my dog stepped on mine, not a mark)

2)IDK

3)I'd go for browns as I notice my reds while I game and type a lot as I start to bottom them out and blues would drive me to insanity

finally, if you use BIOS mode on corsair it wont be a problem, and your boot time may go up by 2-5 seconds because of the software engaging, but you can put it down by using task manager> startup and disabling other unnecessary programs.

[insert stuffs here]

are there any issues with the k70? ive seen some people complaining about motherboard compatibility and having a longer boot up time than usual?

The software to run the RGBs has to run at startup which is why they have longer boot times.

As for which switch you'll like more, if you like quiet, get the browns. If you don't, get the blues. I use greens myself and love the click but my parents and people I Skype call think otherwise of them. In gaming I do find the clickyness slightly annoying but I live with it.

For quality, both keyboards are great, but I vote for the Ducky. The LED's should not have any issues so don't worry. Corsair's RGB lights have actually gotten some flack recently for failing quite early.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||