Wants to buy a Laptop

veech

I just graduated high school last week and now that I'm about to go into college and face reality I want to buy myself a new laptop. I am willing to spend no more than $1,000 on my future new laptop. I am unsure of which laptop I should buy so I would like some suggestions from the community.

I am personally a gamer so I would love to have something that is compatible for good performance and satisfy my needs. Thank you for your time!

do you care about size? built in optical drive? battery life?

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

would say that a massive size probally wouldn't be ideal.

who uses CD drives? and more battery life would be better.

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

would say that a massive size probally wouldn't be ideal.

who uses CD drives? and more battery life would be better.

yes but all of that makes it more expensive. cheap laptops are usally big and have poor batery life and cd drive for some reason

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

ibuypower could be a good option

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_W650SR_Gaming_Laptop

$1009 for gtx 750m,full fledged i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads,8GB ram,and for $30 you could add a 64GB ssd.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

What kind of performance are you talking about? Are you going to be gaming, editing, rendering?

Moved to mobile devices

If gaming isn't a concern, look into the Lenovo X230. Upgrading to the 9-cell battery (everything else default) should run you at about $800-900. $900 might get you the optional slice battery for added battery life. The 9-cell gives 12-13 hours by itself, the slice adds on 7-8 more for a total of 20 hours.

Default hardware is pretty good too (Core i5 processor, 320GB HDD. Could upgrade that to a 128GB SSD yourself for $100).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Since I will be carrying it around my College campus I would prefer it to be portable as well. The battery life doesn't really matter to me as long as it has good performance because I would most likely have it charge every time I will be using it.

ibuypower could be a good option

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_W650SR_Gaming_Laptop

$1009 for gtx 750m,full fledged i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads,8GB ram,and for $30 you could add a 64GB ssd.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking into that site but I couldn't decide which laptop would fit my style but now I do have something in mind.

What kind of performance are you talking about? Are you going to be gaming, editing, rendering?

I'm a Computer Science major so I would most likely be using it for programming and stuffs but on my free time I would love to be playing games on it as well. So I think a laptop that has good performance that can play most of the intense games out there at high settings would fit my style.

If gaming isn't a concern, look into the Lenovo X230. Upgrading to the 9-cell battery (everything else default) should run you at about $800-900. $900 might get you the optional slice battery for added battery life. The 9-cell gives 12-13 hours by itself, the slice adds on 7-8 more for a total of 20 hours.

Default hardware is pretty good too (Core i5 processor, 320GB HDD. Could upgrade that to a 128GB SSD yourself for $100).

Battery life isn't my concer as I have stated above. I would be more interested in a gaming laptop since I believe it does come with good performances.

I'm a Computer Science major so I would most likely be using it for programming and stuffs but on my free time I would love to be playing games on it as well. So I think a laptop that has good performance that can play most of the intense games out there at high settings would fit my style.

This probably means it would either cost more than $1000 or won't have good battery life.

This probably means it would either cost more than $1000 or won't have good battery life.

Battery life isn't want I'm worry about. I just want a good gaming laptop that can run most demanding games out there at high settings and costs about $1,000. I might be able to pay an extra $200 if I have to.

EDIT:

I would like the laptop to have specs similar to these:

1. Intel i7 FHD processor

2. 8GB of RAM

3. Decent-Good Graphics card

Maybe something like these?

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n56vjdh71-p-4969.html?wconfigure=yes&change_view=ddm

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-ge60-2oe003us-p-5782.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_W350STQ_Gaming_Laptop

I have three Compaq Presario cq60's that I would sell for really cheap, and an Acer aspire 5742-(somethingsonethingsomethingsomething) which is good for light to moderate gaming. I need money to work on my first computer so all of my other computer parts are for sale, however most of them suck.

Photography is life!

Battery life isn't want I'm worry about. I just want a good gaming laptop that can run most demanding games out there at high settings and costs about $1,000. I might be able to pay an extra $200 if I have to.

EDIT:

2. 8GB of RAM

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n56vjdh71-p-4969.html?wconfigure=yes&change_view=ddm

If you're going into CS, you should really worry about battery life, since you'll basically need your laptop for most of your classes. If you have shoddy battery life, it's a hassle to have to look for outlets all the time, trust me.

There's probably gaming laptops out there with decent enough battery life, I'm not sure. Either that, or you'll need 2 laptops, 1 for class and 1 for gaming. I know quite a few people in CS that have 2 laptops because of this, actually.

If you're going into CS, you should really worry about battery life, since you'll basically need your laptop for most of your classes. If you have shoddy battery life, it's a hassle to have to look for outlets all the time, trust me.

There's probably gaming laptops out there with decent enough battery life, I'm not sure. Either that, or you'll need 2 laptops, 1 for class and 1 for gaming. I know quite a few people in CS that have 2 laptops because of this, actually.

My classes aren't really long, about 50 minutes a class and I only have 2 CS classes, so I think having a laptop that has a 3 hours of battery life is plenty. I would really appreciate if you help give me some suggestions of laptop though because right now I'm just debating on those 3 above.

My classes aren't really long, about 50 minutes a class and I only have 2 CS classes, so I think having a laptop that has a 3 hours of battery life is plenty. I would really appreciate if you help give me some suggestions of laptop though because right now I'm just debating on those 3 above.

MSI looks nice.

EDIT:

2. 8GB of RAM

I would also consider the Lenovo Ideapad Y series. More specifically, Y410p or a Y510p. I would choose a model with an SSD. They all come with a GT 750M and they even have one's with SLI 750M's if you don't mind losing a optical drive slot (only on the Y510p). The older versions come with 3rd gen i7's if you want to save a little money. They are similarly priced to the laptops you are looking at. In my opinion, these are the best bang for the buck laptops that I could find.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/

I would also consider the Lenovo Ideapad Y series. More specifically, Y410p or a Y510p. I would choose a model with an SSD. They all come with a GT 750M and they even have one's with SLI 750M's if you don't mind losing a optical drive slot (only on the Y510p). The older versions come with 3rd gen i7's if you want to save a little money. They are similarly priced to the laptops you are looking at. In my opinion, these are the best bang for the buck laptops that I could find.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/

The Y510p looks awesome for a brand name I never even heard of LOL. Do you think I should pay $1200 for the MSI GE60 or should I go with the Y510p?

The Y510p looks awesome for a brand name I never even heard of LOL. Do you think I should pay $1200 for the MSI GE60 or should I go with the Y510p?

You've never heard of Lenovo? It's much more popular than MSI or whatever in the world Battalion is...

PS: have fun lugging a gaming laptop around to class. Everybody hates it LOL

You've never heard of Lenovo? It's much more popular than MSI or whatever in the world Battalion is...

It has nearly the same dimensions as the MSI one. 15.09" x 9.83" x 1.27-1.46" 5.28 lbs (MSI) vs 15.23" x 10.19" x 0.61-1.41" 5.95lb (Lenovo).

It seems like size and weight isn't a big factor for him taking into consideration on the laptops he chose. If he wants a smaller lighter one, he could go for a Y410p. The MSI laptop is actually the faster one if he chooses the one without SLI. The reason that I like the Y series is because you can get an SSD without spending a bunch. I would have gone for the MSI laptop if it came at a more affordable price point when you upgrade to an SSD. I also think the Lenovo looks better but that's just my opinion.

Despite all this, I think it's actually better to get a cheaper laptop with good battery life and build your own desktop. Portable laptop with long battery life for on the go, powerful desktop for when you're at home. Again, just an opinion.

Despite all this, I think it's actually better to get a cheaper laptop with good battery life and build your own desktop. Portable laptop with long battery life for on the go, powerful desktop for when you're at home. Again, just an opinion.

That is what I was planning to do! Thank YOU for the help! I truly appreciate it. I might go with a 410p or in between so I can save a little money. Hopefully I can run some Nexon Games (Dragon Nest) at High Settings on it LOL.

Why would they? Lol.

I have another question. How is a 64GB SSD comparable to a 500GB HDD, whereas the HDD clearly has more storage space than the SSD? Would it be better to replace a bigger HDD over a small SSD?

I have another question. How is a 64GB SSD comparable to a 500GB HDD, whereas the HDD clearly has more storage space than the SSD? Would it be better to replace a bigger HDD over a small SSD?

You'll be able to boot up Windows in anywhere from 10-20 seconds on SSD vs 30-60 seconds on a regular hard drive, plus any programs you might open for computer sciences will load much quicker off the SSD too. SSD's also have the advent of being more durable with no moving parts, so lugging it to and from class it will probably last longer. Obviously the downside to an SSD is price for GB compared to traditional drives, and that's something you'll have to decide if you need based on your storage requirements.

Personally, I get by fine with an Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD on my laptop for web design work, and supplement it with a slim Seagate USB3.0 500GB GoFlex external when I need too.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I just graduated high school last week and now that I'm about to go into college and face reality I want to buy myself a new laptop. I am willing to spend no more than $1,000 on my future new laptop. I am unsure of which laptop I should buy so I would like some suggestions from the community.

I am personally a gamer so I would love to have something that is compatible for good performance and satisfy my needs. Thank you for your time!

buy a thinkpad T530 or a T430 with duel core cpu

and a 9 cell battery

i own one and its amazing using the maximum battery life option i get 7+ hours and the fan almost never turns on because of how cool it is

u could wait for the haswell version

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

That is what I was planning to do! Thank YOU for the help! I truly appreciate it. I might go with a 410p or in between so I can save a little money. Hopefully I can run some Nexon Games (Dragon Nest) at High Settings on it LOL.

Why would they? Lol.

Why would they hate lugging around a gaming laptop? It's heavy and needlessly powerful for class.