booting from sata 1 while an ide hdd is installed

k0enf0rNL

Im trying to get an old hard disk to work.

It need to boot from the sata drive and use the ide hdd as a secondary drive. I cant seem to get it to work. I removed the jumper to put it in slave mode but now the bios wont detect it. If i put the jumper back on cs enabled it will try to boot from it. But it is detected in the bios while its in cs enabled.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

Put the IDE drive in master mode, but change the BIOS settings to boot to the SATA drive first. try that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Put the IDE drive in master mode, but change the BIOS settings to boot to the SATA drive first. try that.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

The motherboard doesnt show the capacity etc. Of the drive. I put it in the second slot of the boot priority but its very slow through the ide detection before it goes to the bios. And after it went through the detection it will either go to the bios if del.is pressed or it will show a blinking - in the top left and sit there doing nothing. Does this mean the ide hdd is broken so it cant boot from the sata while its connected?

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

The motherboard doesnt show the capacity etc. Of the drive. I put it in the second slot of the boot priority but its very slow through the ide detection before it goes to the bios. And after it went through the detection it will either go to the bios if del.is pressed or it will show a blinking - in the top left and sit there doing nothing. Does this mean the ide hdd is broken so it cant boot from the sata while its connected?

Does it boot fine without th IDE drive? I doubt it would forget the boot order and boot to yor IDE drive. Try to just leave it unplugged and let it boot to the SATA drive. Either that, or get an IDE USB enclosure.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If i leave the jumper out it will act as a slave so the bios wont detect it because it doesnt have a master. It will just boot fine and fast without that jumper.

current rig (march 2023)