PC stuck in bootloop, and won't even boot from windows/linux dvd

Marley217

Dear people on the linustechtips forum,

Today my pc got a BSOD while I was gaming. After that I couldn't boot into any OS and it got stuck into a bootloop/reboot loop. 

-I performed a CMOS clear

-Disconnected the GPU

-Disconnected all USB devices and LAN cable

-At last I've tried to disconnect all the drives and boot from the windows 8 dvd and an ubuntu dvd but without any succes. 

I was however, able to perform a memory test using the ubuntu dvd, but it did not encounter any errors.

When I tried to boot into ubuntu directly from the dvd, I got a

"[Hardware error]: CPU 3: Machine Check Exception" which to me reads as if my CPU is busted (booting into the windows 8 dvd instantly results in a BSOD btw.).

The cpu I'm using (i5-2500k running 4.5 ghz) was bought about 3.5 years ago together with the RAM, motherboard and HDD. Every other part has been replaced since then.

I know I should list all the parts, but it's late so I will add them in the morning.

In conclusion: It's clear I'm dealing with a faulty part, but I would very much like to know which part that is.

It's definitely not the HDD, the SSD or the DVD player as I've disconnected all of these and encountered the same BSODs.

I also disconnected the GPU (GTX 780) and the PC was still stuck in the bootloop.

It's probably not the RAM as the memory test did not find any errors.

So that leaves the MOBO, CPU and maybe the PSU (Corsair 850 watt bought less than a year ago)? 

If you have ANYthing I could try please let me know. I really don't want to buy a new CPU+mobo without being certain about which component is at fault.

To generate this error you require a critical component failure which normally comes from either your psu or cpu in this case. Do note that the error will only come from the psu if it is under extreme loads, you should normally have a 20% allowance on psu wattage from what your system actually needs. If your PSU is large enough for your system then I would suggest installing a different CPU in your system and see if it works as normal. If it does then your motherboard will be working correctly and therefore you can narrow down your list to your CPU. 

Note that if your CPU has failed with system bus errors then there is a chance your motherboard has also suffered critical damage and may need replacing.

Also if you have a record of the specific error you got you are able to contact Intel's support via email and they might be able to tell you exactly which part of your component(s) has failed and how to deal with it. 

Once you have reassembled your system with functional parts at stock speeds (non-overclocked) you will need to install a fresh and up-to-date copy of windows to eliminate the risk of corrupt read and write software which may have been the cause to your component(s)'s failure. Note over-clocking can also be the cause.

I hope this helps, best of luck.

To generate this error you require a critical component failure which normally comes from either your psu or cpu in this case. Do note that the error will only come from the psu if it is under extreme loads, you should normally have a 20% allowance on psu wattage from what your system actually needs. If your PSU is large enough for your system then I would suggest installing a different CPU in your system and see if it works as normal. If it does then your motherboard will be working correctly and therefore you can narrow down your list to your CPU. 

Note that if your CPU has failed with system bus errors then there is a chance your motherboard has also suffered critical damage and may need replacing.

Also if you have a record of the specific error you got you are able to contact Intel's support via email and they might be able to tell you exactly which part of your component(s) has failed and how to deal with it. 

Once you have reassembled your system with functional parts at stock speeds (non-overclocked) you will need to install a fresh and up-to-date copy of windows to eliminate the risk of corrupt read and write software which may have been the cause to your component(s)'s failure. Note over-clocking can also be the cause.

I hope this helps, best of luck.

Welp, I really see no other solution than to buy another MOBO+CPU. As I literally can't boot into anything without BSOD-ing. I tried multiple versions of windows and ubuntu (from both SSDs and DVDs). I also used my laptop to boot from the SSD with the OS on it from the PC, and the laptop could boot from it juts fine.

The PSU I'm using is a very new Corsair 850 watt, of which I probably won't even use half, but to be sure I used the PC with a spare PSU I had lying around. Still nothing.

I don't have a access to a spare motherboard or a spare CPU, and replacing the MOBO by a repair shop will cost me 40 euros.

So yeah, I was thinking of getting the i5-4690K with the very cheap MSI Z87-G55 SLI enabled motherboard. 

I have been running my i5-2500K on 4.5 GHz using the Asrock P67 pro 3 motherboard for about 3 years.

Do you think it's likely that I've simply worn out the CPU/GPU by having it overclocked for all these years?

Overclocking does reduce the lifespan if it's increased voltage or running hot (I think? Correct me if it's just an old wives tail)

If you try booting the system without a CPU, does it stay on? So not start rebooting again? It should just stay on and possibly flash on the screen "No CPU Detected"

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Welp, I really see no other solution than to buy another MOBO+CPU. As I literally can't boot into anything without BSOD-ing. I tried multiple versions of windows and ubuntu (from both SSDs and DVDs). I also used my laptop to boot from the SSD with the OS on it from the PC, and the laptop could boot from it juts fine.

The PSU I'm using is a very new Corsair 850 watt, of which I probably won't even use half, but to be sure I used the PC with a spare PSU I had lying around. Still nothing.

I don't have a access to a spare motherboard or a spare CPU, and replacing the MOBO by a repair shop will cost me 40 euros.

So yeah, I was thinking of getting the i5-4690K with the very cheap MSI Z87-G55 SLI enabled motherboard. 

I have been running my i5-2500K on 4.5 GHz using the Asrock P67 pro 3 motherboard for about 3 years.

Do you think it's likely that I've simply worn out the CPU/GPU by having it overclocked for all these years?

A 2500K at 4.5GHz for 3 years does sound to me as if it has put quite a lot of stress on the CPU, it's a good chip but of course its recommended turbo clock is 3.7GHz, you went with more than double its boost. It is definitely a factor in the failure, but might not be THE reason for failure. Your PSU at 850 watts sounds like more than enough for your build so I wouldn't look at that as the reason for failure. I think at this point I would actually take this opportunity to upgrade your CPU and Mobo. Although I wouldn't spend money on such a cheap motherboard. I'd probably grab an H97 or Z97 mobo as well and just be safe for the future by going with either Gigabyte, Asus or MSI.

A 2500K at 4.5GHz for 3 years does sound to me as if it has put quite a lot of stress on the CPU, it's a good chip but of course its recommended turbo clock is 3.7GHz, you went with more than double its boost. It is definitely a factor in the failure, but might not be THE reason for failure. Your PSU at 850 watts sounds like more than enough for your build so I wouldn't look at that as the reason for failure. I think at this point I would actually take this opportunity to upgrade your CPU and Mobo. Although I wouldn't spend money on such a cheap motherboard. I'd probably grab an H97 or Z97 mobo as well and just be safe for the future by going with either Gigabyte, Asus or MSI.

I just bought the i5-4690K with the MSI Z87-G55 motherboard, I saw no other option. I would've liked to get a better motherboard but I seriously can't spent an extra 30 euros... 

I am very confused as to why the Z97 is considered so much better than the Z87? This mother also has 'military grade' parts and should be a good overclocker according to MSI...

Anyway, I won't be running the cpu at 4.5 GHz this time, more like 4.2, do you think that would be a problem with this mobo?

Overclocking does reduce the lifespan if it's increased voltage or running hot (I think? Correct me if it's just an old wives tail)

If you try booting the system without a CPU, does it stay on? So not start rebooting again? It should just stay on and possibly flash on the screen "No CPU Detected"

Hmm I haven't tried that, but I think it will indeed just say 'no cpu detected'. Since there's also no problem when I'm in the bios, or running a memtest.

The pc starts BSOD-ing the moment I try to boot into something. So yeah, it's probably the CPU.

I just bought the i5-4690K with the MSI Z87-G55 motherboard, I saw no other option. I would've liked to get a better motherboard but I seriously can't spent an extra 30 euros... 

I am very confused as to why the Z97 is considered so much better than the Z87? This mother also has 'military grade' parts and should be a good overclocker according to MSI...

Anyway, I won't be running the cpu at 4.5 GHz this time, more like 4.2, do you think that would be a problem with this mobo?

97 is simply a newer chip, it performs a little better and it is better to be closer to the future than further away with it.

As for overclocking, have a look on google for some other people who overclocked on an MSI-Z87-G55 with a 4690K and see what they got to. Although overclocking isn't always as simplistic as most deem it to be, it really does depend on your mobo and ram as-well. A lot of the time people over-clock beyond the capabilities of their motherboard or ram which bottlenecks the cpu and therefore only turns wasted energy into heat and shortens the lifespan of the cpu. In the short answer, from what I see, yes it will be very easy for you to reach 4.2GHz on that board. In fact you would probably be fine at even 4.5, however do you really need those extra clock-cycles and are they actually any worth? Well that is for you to decide.

Also note, from other forums I have gathered that your board will need to have its BIOS updated to fully support the 4690K but there is a risk that you might not be able to use that cpu to update your BIOS which means you might need to use usb flaskback or go to a local computer shop and have them update your BIOS. I cannot confirm this because A. I have not handled such an exception myself and B. There are a mixed amount of posts about this, some couldn't use the 4690K to update and others could without updating the BIOS.

97 is simply a newer chip, it performs a little better and it is better to be closer to the future than further away with it.

As for overclocking, have a look on google for some other people who overclocked on an MSI-Z87-G55 with a 4690K and see what they got to. Although overclocking isn't always as simplistic as most deem it to be, it really does depend on your mobo and ram as-well. A lot of the time people over-clock beyond the capabilities of their motherboard or ram which bottlenecks the cpu and therefore only turns wasted energy into heat and shortens the lifespan of the cpu. In the short answer, from what I see, yes it will be very easy for you to reach 4.2GHz on that board. In fact you would probably be fine at even 4.5, however do you really need those extra clock-cycles and are they actually any worth? Well that is for you to decide.

Also note, from other forums I have gathered that your board will need to have its BIOS updated to fully support the 4690K but there is a risk that you might not be able to use that cpu to update your BIOS which means you might need to use usb flaskback or go to a local computer shop and have them update your BIOS. I cannot confirm this because A. I have not handled such an exception myself and B. There are a mixed amount of posts about this, some couldn't use the 4690K to update and others could without updating the BIOS.

Thank you for your replies!

Good thing you brought up that the mobo might not work with the devil's canyon cpu. It all depends on when the board was shipped from the factory really. The updated driver was developed over half a year ago, so the board I'm getting should be shipped with this bios.

If it isn't, I'll have to pay 40 euros to get the bios updated as I won't be able to send it back anymore.

Do you know if the bios version is listed anywhere on the box of the motherboard?

Thank you for your replies!

Good thing you brought up that the mobo might not work with the devil's canyon cpu. It all depends on when the board was shipped from the factory really. The updated driver was developed over half a year ago, so the board I'm getting should be shipped with this bios.

If it isn't, I'll have to pay 40 euros to get the bios updated as I won't be able to send it back anymore.

Do you know if the bios version is listed anywhere on the box of the motherboard?

I'm afraid it all depends on the manufacturer, I do not know for the MSI boards but I know most manufacturers will never ship boards with updated BIOSes because it causes extra work time for those who choose to optimize their own systems in their own way. You might be able to check on the bios version on your box or manual but I cannot be certain, I know my asus board did not come with an updated BIOS.

Anyways I'm happy to have been of service to you, best of luck getting your rig back together.

I'm afraid it all depends on the manufacturer, I do not know for the MSI boards but I know most manufacturers will never ship boards with updated BIOSes because it causes extra work time for those who choose to optimize their own systems in their own way. You might be able to check on the bios version on your box or manual but I cannot be certain, I know my asus board did not come with an updated BIOS.

Anyways I'm happy to have been of service to you, best of luck getting your rig back together.

Good news, the MSI z87 board works 100% with the 4690k. Bad news, it seemed as if it didn't work for a while so I ordered a Z97 board, which I'll recieve (and return) tomorrow...

It's a bit of a bummer that my old cpu/board broke but atleast I have a board that can do SLI, and I can finally use those USB 3.0 ports on my nzxt case. 

The 4690k should also be a bit faster than the i5-2500k but I doubt that I'll see a considerable difference when gaming.

Thanks for your advice!