2gb vs 4 gb.

frostyshuggah

hey guys, i've searched so many times about this over the web and never got a good satisfying answer...

is a 4gb graphics card better than a 2gb one ? in what ways ? i currently own an msi GTX 760 4gb OC edition. 

Only if you're running multiple monitors

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

hey guys, i've searched so many times about this over the web and never got a good satisfying answer...

is a 4gb graphics card better than a 2gb one ? in what ways ? i currently own an msi GTX 760 4gb OC edition. 

If you have a 4gb 760 already, why worry about it? ;)

Either way, you only need more than 2gb if you want more than 1080p. So it's completely pointless on a 760 because it can't drive anything more than 1080p well enough to benefit from the extra vram.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There really won't be much more benefit of having the extra 2Gb's, but it will be better as textures in games become more intense and if you ever to decide to run multiple monitors. The raw performance between the two cards will be the same though.

At low resolutions (1920x1080) or lower, it should be fine on the vast majority of GAMES.

However, if you want: 1- multi monitors setups ; 2- video editing ; 3- some VERY particular games (I'm looking at you, Shadows of Mordor texture pack) - then yes, the 4gb is a better choice.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2GB is already saturated at 1080p in few games, this will increase as new games arrive.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Only if you're running multiple monitors

gaming on multiple monitors*

Having the monitors alone doesn't matter at all. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

shadow of mordor needs 4 gigs for ultra textures

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

At low resolutions (1920x1080) or lower, it should be fine on the vast majority of GAMES.

However, if you want: 1- multi monitors setups ; 2- video editing ; 3- some VERY particular games (I'm looking at you, Shadows of Mordor texture pack) - then yes, the 4gb is a better choice.

well i dont do video editing as much as CAD applications such as archicad and autocad... will the 4gb be handy ? 

4GB is recommended for next few years.

(Recent games require more than 2GB of vram in 1080p very high settings (watch dogs. shadow of mordor, Assasins creed unity are few examples) )

well i dont do video editing as much as CAD applications such as archicad and autocad... will the 4gb be handy ? 

It can be helpful in the future but the extra vram won't help much in current games. What the extra vram can be very useful for today is for things like video editing and high-poly modeling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.